Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:46:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2015-06-03] CD: BitPay's Multisig Wallet 'Copay' Leaves Beta  (Read 540 times)
Grand_Voyageur (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

https://dadice.com | Click my signature to join!

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2015, 01:57:46 PM

BitPay's Multisig Wallet 'Copay' Leaves Beta

Bitcoin payments processor BitPay has announced that Copay, its multisig bitcoin wallet, is out of beta.

Copay, originally known as Cosign, aims to offer combat bitcoin wallet thefts by offering customisable security for businesses and individuals.

Like other multisig products, a predetermined number of parties must 'sign off' each Copay transaction before it is broadcast to the bitcoin network.

Full story: http://www.coindesk.com/bitpays-multisig-wallet-copay-leaves-beta/

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█   ⚂⚄⚀⚃⚅⚁    ██  d a d i c e  ██    Next Generation Dice Game
• Low 1% house edge. • Provably Fair.  
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 01:03:10 AM

I just gave it a test drive and set up a 2-2 signature wallet.
Lets just say I lost BTC because of a really bad bug.
Its not meant for widespread use at all yet. Not sure why they let it out of beta.

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2015, 08:54:25 AM
Last edit: June 04, 2015, 09:12:01 AM by twister

I have been using it from 4-5 days and so far I haven't had any problems with it but as some people have suggested it, it's not yet safe to keep large amount of bitcoins on it. Not because they might get stolen but because it might happen that user itself isn't able to access their funds.

I had a discussion about it on reddit and things I learnt were that first of all there aren't any other wallets (currently) that supports BIP32/39/44. Which means a user won't be able to export the backup from CoPay and import into any other wallet. This is my only concern which is stopping from sending large amount of funds to it for if some reason the app is down I won't be able to access my funds otherwise.

Apart from that there is no way to import a paper wallet and it is another concern as some users prefer keeping their funds in cold storage and they can't use them with CoPay. Until there is a way to extract the keys out of CoPay back up and import it into another wallet and the import paper wallet feature I don't think it will get much famous. I really hope developers read this and make some changes in the next update.

Another thing which concerns me is that since you cannot sign a message from inside CoPay and you cannot import keys to another wallet you cannot prove that you own an address should a need arise to do that.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 02:44:09 PM

I have been using it from 4-5 days and so far I haven't had any problems with it but as some people have suggested it, it's not yet safe to keep large amount of bitcoins on it. Not because they might get stolen but because it might happen that user itself isn't able to access their funds.

I had a discussion about it on reddit and things I learnt were that first of all there aren't any other wallets (currently) that supports BIP32/39/44. Which means a user won't be able to export the backup from CoPay and import into any other wallet. This is my only concern which is stopping from sending large amount of funds to it for if some reason the app is down I won't be able to access my funds otherwise.

Apart from that there is no way to import a paper wallet and it is another concern as some users prefer keeping their funds in cold storage and they can't use them with CoPay. Until there is a way to extract the keys out of CoPay back up and import it into another wallet and the import paper wallet feature I don't think it will get much famous. I really hope developers read this and make some changes in the next update.

Another thing which concerns me is that since you cannot sign a message from inside CoPay and you cannot import keys to another wallet you cannot prove that you own an address should a need arise to do that.

In other words, it deserves no right to be out of beta... lol

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: