Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:21:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for some guidance as a new seller!  (Read 562 times)
OBAViJEST (OP)

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2015, 09:20:54 PM

Sup guys

Recently in need of cash and have a ton of stuff to sell - and a couple questions (serious replies please)

About four months ago I crashed into a pole and shattered my ankle (and totaled my car, and broke my LG G3 from the impact alone).  Winters in the northeast US can be rough...

Due to that unforeseen circumstance, I've been unable to work and the bills have really piled up.  I have a BUNCH of stuff I've been meaning to sell for $,  but figure BTC is quicker and easier Grin

The main two things: a limited edition PSP + games + accessories, and HUNDREDS of books.  I tried selling the PSP on eBay (stupid, I know), but received two different offers from (presumably the same) Nigerians before my listing was revoked for copyright issues, as the memory stick has been modded & filled with ISOs.  I could just leave that part out of the description next time...but don't want my listing marked as 'sold' only for the buyer to ask me to ship it to West Africa again Angry Plus, I prefer letting the buyer know exactly what they're receiving...

I'm still in the process of cataloging all my books - right now it's a very rudimentary process (scanning covers with the Amazon app and adding them to a list).  Anyone know of a more streamlined solution?  If anything, I'd be willing to sign up with a free/cheap hosting service and create a simple HTML list...hell, it's prettier than pastebin....

I have thousands of other things I'd like to get rid of as well - everything from coins to rocks to GPUs to manga - but won't bother listing anything until I figure out a way to easier list it all.

Most importantly, though, is escrow - I'm still climbing the ranks here, and don't want my lowly status to turn people away from trusting me.  Then again, I wouldn't know who to trust as an escrow provider!  Additionally, is it possible for two scammers to work together - one pretending to buy/sell, and the other posing as escrow?  These types of things are the only reason I haven't attempted to sell here earlier.  I've bought and sold on reddit - proof of which I could provide if required - but conducting business in forums (especially here, where scammers are prevalent) is a whole new ballgame to me.

tl;dr - want to sell stuff - how to best 'catalog' said stuff for easy viewing, and how to establish trust for attracting buyers?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!  If someone gets me on my feet here, and finds him/herself interested in an item I'm selling, expect a nice discount Grin
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 6473

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2015, 10:22:59 PM

For an escrow, you can choose anyone on this list: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=108716.0. These are all people trusted for escrowing. You could either choose who you want, or have the buyer choose.

achow101_alt

Activity: 268
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 10:38:36 PM

For books and things that still have packaging, you could use a barcode scanner app on your phone and scan all of the barcodes. I know that the app that I use can lookup and find things about what I am scanning. It can also save and export my scan history to a file which can be imported into Microsoft Excel. The app I use: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.zxing.client.android

Tip Me!: 1AQx99s7q1wVinbgXbA48BaZQVWpHe5gYM | My PGP Key: Fingerprint 0x17565732E08E5E41
OBAViJEST (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2015, 12:47:53 AM

For books and things that still have packaging, you could use a barcode scanner app on your phone and scan all of the barcodes. I know that the app that I use can lookup and find things about what I am scanning. It can also save and export my scan history to a file which can be imported into Microsoft Excel. The app I use: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.zxing.client.android

Thanks for this, it'll make list creation a hell of a lot easier.

I actually had the app installed already - but wasn't aware of its export features! You definitely saved me a LOT of copy & pastes Grin I appreciate it!
lihuajkl
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 01:30:15 AM

For an escrow, you can choose anyone on this list: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=108716.0. These are all people trusted for escrowing. You could either choose who you want, or have the buyer choose.
Some escrows are charging a small of fees. You should be aware of that. Some escrows are active and quickly respsonsive, which is really impacting the efficiency of your business.
OBAViJEST (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2015, 02:00:57 AM

Some escrows are charging a small of fees. You should be aware of that

Yup, I'm aware - but I have a feeling those fees (disregarding unreasonably high %'s) aren't nearly as much as what paypal/ebay extort from sellers Wink

If you don't mind me asking, what do you think the chances are of accidentally signing on with an illegitimate escrow? I mean it can't be dismissed that every time one trades, there COULD be a chance of them being screwed by the escrow (but risking never doing business again, or other factors).  I've just never experienced a buy/sell with escrow - my only trade history has been either selling on eBay (luckily, as no buyers have scammed me) or selling on reddit (where I was paid btc instantly and actually held my end of the bargain).  There's a first time for everything though - I just can't afford that time to be now Grin

Appreciate any and all help/experiences/etc.

Cheers Cool
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 02:43:17 AM

Some escrows are charging a small of fees. You should be aware of that

Yup, I'm aware - but I have a feeling those fees (disregarding unreasonably high %'s) aren't nearly as much as what paypal/ebay extort from sellers Wink

If you don't mind me asking, what do you think the chances are of accidentally signing on with an illegitimate escrow? I mean it can't be dismissed that every time one trades, there COULD be a chance of them being screwed by the escrow (but risking never doing business again, or other factors).  I've just nexperienced ever a buy/sell with escrow - my only trade history has been either selling on eBay (luckily, as no buyers have scammed me) or selling on reddit (where I was paid btc instantly and actually held my end of the bargain).  There's a first time for everything though - I just can't afford that time to be now Grin

Appreciate any and all help/experiences/etc.

Cheers Cool
I fully understand your concern. The most new sellers have the same with you! We should find the escrow who has high reputation (high green number) and have escrows hundreds of trade here. Even they do for free escrow but they still charge for IPO and managing sig campaign. They are doing business here and could earn more in the future. What is the point of screwing up one trade and ruining their whole buinsess?
Like you mentioned,

there COULD be a chance of them being screwed by the escrow (but risking never doing business again, or other factors).
Yes, there could be! But if you scare that, then you'd better stay away from here. It is not the place for you.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: