Author Topic: ...  (Read 8772 times)
Mikestang
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 10:36:55 PM
Last edit: June 09, 2015, 10:48:57 PM by Mikestang

Looks like you're on to something here, 0 incoming connections and 8 outgoing connections.

That is typical if you do not have port 8333 open and forwarded.  You only get more than 8 connections (i.e. incoming) when your firewall is configured properly.  You don't need to do this to sync the blockchain, though, evidenced by the fact you were able to sync up to a point; you should have just deleted the installation and run it again at the beginning.

Contrary to what some have posted, you do need 8333 open outgoing to sync the blockchain.  For example my personal firewall blocks all traffic, in or out, so I specifically had to open 8333 outgoing for the sync and incoming to be a contributing full node.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1060

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 11:43:27 PM

^ Yet another person that looks down on anyone who isn't a tech expert. I was just asking if it's possible, I wasn't claiming Bitcoin could use all ports.

Does it make you feel better about yourself to rant and rave about other people who you don't think have enough knowledge? Everyone is an expert in their own field, but you will never learn anything from others if you insult everyone that isn't a tech geek. Hopefully you don't act like that in real life, or you'll never climb the business/corporate ladder, they'll hide you in a dark corner of a server room.

I certainly have enough technical knowledge to handle Bitcoin transactions smoothly, there's not much to it.
Yeah right, tech expert. Just another cycle in the Bitcoin evolution.

Year ago we had rubbish hauling contractors from London pretending to be ASIC designers and offering miners for preorder.

So this year we'll have Florida tourist trinket stall (?) owners pretending to be cryptocurrency expert usability consultants.

I'm not a car mechanic, but I've heard that the 4-stroke engine in my car only fires once every 4 strokes. How about providing a button that would let the engine fire once in every stroke? It already has 4 valves in every cylinder, right? Just a proposal, right? I'm not a total crackpot, right?

This is the real problem with computing-related services in the USA. To be able e.g. cut hair and/or shave one has to have cosmetology license. It doesn't guarantee nice haircut or clean shave, but one at least can be confident of not getting lice or AIDS.

Nothing like this exists in the field of computing services. Any fool who wouldn't pass the lowest-level information technology exam certification (A1?) can come up and spout completely spurious and deranged advice, both about IT and general career development.

It is the essence of a free market. Caveat emptor!

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 11:54:39 PM

Contrary to what some have posted, you do need 8333 open outgoing to sync the blockchain.
Another bullshit claim. As of this moment getaddr.bitnodes.io shows 59 full nodes listening on a non-default port, different than 8333. Obviously, the time to sync will be much longer when one's node can access only less than 1% of the global full nodes.

But my point stands: in a completely unregulated market like Bitcoin everyone has to be really vigiliant and keep their bullshit detectors tuned really sensitive. Otherwise you are going to be just another mark exploited by the cons that concentrate on this forum.

Libertarian capitalism is cruel that way. The essence of the functioning speculation markets is that there has to be a constant supply of people willing to take the "stupid" side of the trades.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
neurotypical

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 10, 2015, 12:18:42 AM

dont despair, it took me arround 3-4 days to my laptop to have it fully sync, was more hard than on my current pc.

but is just a question of time, soon orlater it will sync, just be patient Wink sometimes on my laptop it seems like was frozen but it was not

btw you can check it the database it is increasing, if it is, then you just need to w8 a little bit more Smiley

It took ages to me too and this was before 0.0.9 when it was even slower

3-4 days to download the blockchain is not viable tho, we are losing a TON of potential nodes with such a sloppy client.
hhanh00

Activity: 467
Merit: 266

View Profile
June 10, 2015, 01:00:53 AM

^ Yet another person that looks down on anyone who isn't a tech expert. I was just asking if it's possible, I wasn't claiming Bitcoin could use all ports.

Does it make you feel better about yourself to rant and rave about other people who you don't think have enough knowledge? Everyone is an expert in their own field, but you will never learn anything from others if you insult everyone that isn't a tech geek. Hopefully you don't act like that in real life, or you'll never climb the business/corporate ladder, they'll hide you in a dark corner of a server room.

I certainly have enough technical knowledge to handle Bitcoin transactions smoothly, there's not much to it.
I also think that it's not worth helping you because when you ask for help and then disregard the answers you get, it's just rude. This is like stopping someone in the street to get directions and then walking the opposite way.

And even worse, you end up with some ridiculous rant about the core client based on your 'technical skills'. Obviously, it has no merit and simply shows that not only you don't know, but you don't even know that you don't know.

Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2015, 01:24:05 AM

I also think that it's not worth helping you because when you ask for help and then disregard the answers you get, it's just rude. This is like stopping someone in the street to get directions and then walking the opposite way.

And even worse, you end up with some ridiculous rant about the core client based on your 'technical skills'. Obviously, it has no merit and simply shows that not only you don't know, but you don't even know that you don't know.
Being rude is only a minor issue. I think for non-technology-experts it is important to develop a feel for how the hucksters behave versus how somebody with some knowledge behaves, even if they don't immediately know the right answer.

I remember helping my friend's kids (high-school age) set up their AT&T DSL. They asked me a question, I smiled and took a breath to answer and they immediately told me "Stop, don't tell us! Let us make 3 guesses!". The attitude to learning and problem solving seems to be probably more important than the detailed knowledge.

I cannot erase what I know from my brain, but I'm trying to learn purely by interpersonal attitude clues how people can make a judgment about the value of the advice. The hucksters seem to have this apparent confidence in their manner, that's probably why they are called "con men" in the American parlance. The true experts tends to be more nonchalant or irreverent when talking about their area of expertise.

It is always easier to make better guesses about that in person, not through the written medium. The intonation of "Why you would do that?" can say a lot of things that are somewhat difficult to explain in writing.

Mikestang
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
June 10, 2015, 02:40:02 AM

Contrary to what some have posted, you do need 8333 open outgoing to sync the blockchain.
Another bullshit claim. As of this moment getaddr.bitnodes.io shows 59 full nodes listening on a non-default port, different than 8333.

Ok, if someone changed the default port to something other than the default they would then need to open/forward said port in lieu of 8333.  You got me and my "bullshit". Roll Eyes
manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 02:53:57 PM

If my bitcoin executable is whitelisted on my firewall, do I still need to manually open 8333? How can I know if thats the correct port?
I haven't changed anything and from what i've read here I assume 8333 is still the default port?
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1480

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2015, 03:23:19 PM

If my bitcoin executable is whitelisted on my firewall, do I still need to manually open 8333? How can I know if thats the correct port?
I haven't changed anything and from what i've read here I assume 8333 is still the default port?

Yes, 8333 is still the default port. Your local firewall is only one part of the picture though. If you want outgoing connections reaching your machine and its sitting behind a router you will need to configure the router accordingly. On most routers its called "port forwarding" and its forwarding traffic coming from the internet on (a) certain port(s) to a specific machine in your local network. Make sure your local machine running the bitcoin client has the same IP (via the routers DNS settings) and the rule allows port 8333 to be forwarded to that IP.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Amitabh S
Legendary

Activity: 1001
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 06:47:15 AM

Ok I think I figured it out, the firewall is probably blocking any incoming connections. Mcafee (which I never wanted) controls the windows firewall. I can't even view the mcafee settings since my trial expired, what a piece of shit  Roll Eyes

So maybe bitcoin qt isnt that bad afterall, I'll update if it works after removing firewall.

McAfee creates more problems than it solves. Also good luck in getting that out of your PC. It kind of latches on to anything like a leech and very hard to remove. Much worse than a virus.

Coinsecure referral ID: https://coinsecure.in/signup/refamit (use this link to signup)
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2015, 09:14:21 AM

McAfee creates more problems than it solves. Also good luck in getting that out of your PC. It kind of latches on to anything like a leech and very hard to remove. Much worse than a virus.
Well hearing that he installed McAfee made me question his skill (he did mention customers). As far as removing it goes, it should be pretty simple to remove it for a experienced user. You can always take the hard way out and boot a live CD and manually destroy everything.

It took ages to me too and this was before 0.0.9 when it was even slower

3-4 days to download the blockchain is not viable tho, we are losing a TON of potential nodes with such a sloppy client.
AFAIK the problem is the CPU and HDD. I've used some coins that were RAM heavy in the past which slowed down their syncing time (e.g. Monero). You can't blame the client for this.
However you can always download the blockchain via torrent if you want a quicker way. Without pruning syncing will always take a long time.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
bitnanigans

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 08:41:50 PM

I remember having a similar issue when I was running the Qt core client on a Windows VPS. The syncing slows down for a while, but it will definitely go past that. Just leave it running in the background for a few hours or days as appropriate. Not efficient, but not necessarily a major issue.
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8343

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2015, 08:59:04 PM

The problem here is that it seems that Core thinks that all of the nodes that it has connected are misbehaving. It calculated their banscore, and that is greater than the threshold set, so it automatically disconnects. It looks like it might not be connecting to any nodes because of this. Open help > debug window and tell us what you see next to "Number of connections" I think it is stuck at 28 weeks because that was the most recent block that the bootstrap.dat file had.
It's doing this because this persons state is corrupted and they have rejected the chain as invalid.  As far as its concerned these peers are just attacking it by feeding it invalid blocks.

Why precisely it rejected the chain is hard to say without a log of where the rejection happened, and even with those logs it can be hard to know why without more testing. This can be due to hardware errors, or due e.g. to antivirus software corrupting the database. (or bugs, but I am not aware of any that would cause chainstate corruption right now). The corruption can be resolved with a reindex, but without knowing why it happened it may just corrupt again before you even finish the reindex.

Unfortunately, Bitcoin is a fantastic hardware test. (The unfortunate part is that a surprisingly large amount of hardware is slightly flaky)
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8343

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2015, 09:05:51 PM

There is nothing sloppy here, the software is literally over a hundred times faster than it originally was, and much more reliable too-- in general. What it's doing is just fundamentally hard-- it is independently and autonomously verifying over 70 million transactions.  There are many recent improvements and more in the pipeline, and more that we know are possible but haven't started on yet... but nothing can magically make it fast and easy.  And these reasons, among others, are part of why almost all of the developers of Bitcoin Core are not in favor a >2000% increase in operating cost as a step function in the recent block size drama-- if you think it's bad now, try it with several times the load.
chaparro

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 02:13:55 PM

I´m fairly ignorant but i´m trying to learn (without losing the few bitcoin i have). What is the best way to update Bitcoin QT? For someone that as a poor understanding is kind of scary. I dont even know the version that i´m running Embarrassed Is there a step by step manual or something?
DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 04:41:36 PM

I´m fairly ignorant but i´m trying to learn (without losing the few bitcoin i have). What is the best way to update Bitcoin QT? For someone that as a poor understanding is kind of scary. I dont even know the version that i´m running Embarrassed Is there a step by step manual or something?

Make a backup of your wallet.
Install most recent version.
And you're done. If any problem occurs, you can downgrade and recover the wallet from the backup.

To check the version, running Bitcoin-QT, just click in the menu Help > About.
It will show a screen like this one: http://ubuntu-tricks.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Screenshot-4.png

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
chaparro

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 08:41:54 PM

Thank you, i will try.
superpanos2

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 19, 2015, 03:05:28 PM

I agree with op.
New members don't need to use qt.
Just use blockchain wallet or a similar trusted wallet.
This is what I do.
iram66680

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 19, 2015, 03:07:59 PM

I agree with op.
New members don't need to use qt.
Just use blockchain wallet or a similar trusted wallet.
This is what I do.
Blockchain wallet is not trusted at all. The trusted ones are Bitcoin Core, multibit electrum,etc.

Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036

/dev/null

View Profile
June 19, 2015, 05:07:31 PM

Blockchain wallet is not trusted at all. The trusted ones are Bitcoin Core, multibit electrum,etc.

apples and oranges here..just stop comparing full client, web wallet and light wallets and it will be fine.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: