Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 02:02:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are bitcoin exchange operators so inept?  (Read 4224 times)
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 07:18:16 PM

Great point Joel - the margins are razor thin.  It is very difficult to hire proper security resources and make them work for $2-3K per month.

CampBX has a distinct advantage in this regard, because I did Atlanta data center operations and security for two of the largest corporations in the US.  And since CampBX is my labor of love, I work for free! I have also been able to leverage my professional connections to help out where necessary.
What's sad is that it really is a solid business. Had Bitfloor made it another year, they would have had the money to do security right. Though they still might not have spent the money on security, of course. There's always something sexier that you can spend money on. Unfortunately, in this business everybody seems to think they're a security expert, even if they just took a couple of PHP classes and read a web article on SQL injection attacks. This makes it harder for the real deals to stand out, especially when they suggest things that cost more money and take more time.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
luv2drnkbr

Activity: 793
Merit: 1016

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 08:29:08 PM

If you think a community of tech-minded people are "inept" because they keep "losing" untraceable money with which there is almost no legal recourse against them, I'm afraid you aren't really thinking it through...

dissipate

Activity: 288
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 08:29:16 PM

If your security is so good, then you should be able to get 3rd party security and account audits, which would then allow you to get insurance on deposits, right?

We have conducted three independent security audits + black-box pen tests and everything considered Severity 3 and above has been addressed by our programmers and administrator.  Audits are repeated periodically to discover any new vulnerabilities as they emerge.  Results from one of the tests are available on this forum, and a full report was also shared with one of the former-moderators on the forum for peer review.

As things stand today, CampBX has the best chance of obtaining insurance but it will take more than security audits to seal the insurance deal.  

If you got insurance, I would definitely consider using your site.

It seems to me that the meta-problem is auditing and insurance. You aren't going to get very many big players without it. Certainly not any of the big players coming from hedge funds or investment banks.
dissipate

Activity: 288
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 08:34:26 PM

Great point Joel - the margins are razor thin.  It is very difficult to hire proper security resources and make them work for $2-3K per month.

CampBX has a distinct advantage in this regard, because I did Atlanta data center operations and security for two of the largest corporations in the US.  And since CampBX is my labor of love, I work for free! I have also been able to leverage my professional connections to help out where necessary.
What's sad is that it really is a solid business. Had Bitfloor made it another year, they would have had the money to do security right. Though they still might not have spent the money on security, of course. There's always something sexier that you can spend money on. Unfortunately, in this business everybody seems to think they're a security expert, even if they just took a couple of PHP classes and read a web article on SQL injection attacks. This makes it harder for the real deals to stand out, especially when they suggest things that cost more money and take more time.

I don't think you are getting it. The meta-problem is auditing and insurance. In my opinion, without it, bitfloor.com should not have even opened for business (same for any other exchange), unless they limited deposits to a relatively small amount and declared their site alpha and experimental. They did not do this. Hence, bitfloor.com was far from a 'solid business'. The same for the other exchanges. It looks like Camp BX is the furthest along with security audits that have publicly available data.

If there isn't enough revenue from the exchange to cover the costs, then they need to get investors and funding.
freewil

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 11:02:58 PM

Often times the frustration is not only that the incident occurs, but there is often a lack of transparency.

What people should look for in their exchanges is a security and disclosure policy.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: