Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 02:47:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Google trends skyrocketing! Could MNW's heinous crimes be bluish for Bitcoin?  (Read 2594 times)
blablahblah (OP)

Activity: 775
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 04:38:17 PM

Oops, I meant to say bullish.

Check this out!:
google trends for bitcoin, last 30 days

Told you it was skyrocketing! Never said it had anything to do with Matthew N. Wright, though. Why, what were you thinking? Can I plz has a SCA/\/\_/\/\3R tag now? Cheesy

On a slightly more serious note, it's getting embarrassing to read so many sob stories about people who got "scammed" by MNW. I can only hope that these people will eventually learn their lesson, go to Gambler's Anonymous, or do whatever it takes to wean themselves off that urge to make retarded bets. I mean seriously, first they get taken for a ride by that Sea-man dude/tte, then they try to 'hedge' their losses by taking another gamble? Seriously? I don't know how they do it... There's gotta be money in it somewhere... It's my view that MNW has done a huge favour to the community with his prank.

Think about it, what's worse:
A)The Sea-man or some other opportunist collects money from 100s, perhaps 1000s of people who quietly end up bitter and feel disillusioned about Bitcoin because they know they've been outsmarted. They either don't tell anyone about it because of shame, or they warn people to stay away.

B)Matthew N. Wright puts on a big show. Goddam... he even timed it for Sunday/Monday, clever prick... and maybe, just maybe people start being a bit more careful round here? For once, a scam is associated with a reasonably well-known on-line personality, so it's less likely to be passed off as a Bitcoin problem.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 04:52:13 PM

it's getting embarrassing to read so many sob stories about people who got "scammed" by MNW. I can only hope that these people will eventually learn their lesson, go to Gambler's Anonymous, or do whatever it takes to wean themselves off that urge to make retarded bets.

Matthew N. Wright puts on a big show. Goddam... he even timed it for Sunday/Monday, clever prick... and maybe, just maybe people start being a bit more careful round here? For once, a scam is associated with a reasonably well-known on-line personality, so it's less likely to be passed off as a Bitcoin problem.

I bet 9 Zillion Bitcoins that nobody will learn a damn thing from being the butt of Matt's successful epic trolling. 

Especially when their refusal to take personal responsibility is endorsed by Management.

"There, there poor gullible dears.  We'll give the Bad Troll Man a mean tag so your hurt wittle fweelings will be soothed.  *applies baby powder to diaper rash*"

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
blablahblah (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 04:58:20 PM

On a slightly more serious note, it's getting embarrassing to read so many sob stories about people who got "scammed" by MNW.

It certainly is, but I didn't come to the conclusion that starting yet another thread about it was a good idea. Somehow, you did.  Huh

This one seems to have the unique property of not demonizing MNW, even trying to see the bright side. There's so much whinging from self-professed victims, yet he seems to be the only one who actually lost anything.
blablahblah (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 05:21:23 PM

I bet 9 Zillion Bitcoins that nobody will learn a damn thing from being the butt of Matt's successful epic trolling. 

Haa! I accept your wager and raise you ten hundred Satoshis on what you said earlier about them not learning anything! Man, I'm gonna be so rich!

*applies baby powder to diaper rash*"
You'll be needing a lot more of that after I win this bet! Wink

Especially when their refusal to take personal responsibility is endorsed by Management.

I guess it keeps the Proles happy. Otherwise they'd find some other way to satisfy their blood-lust. I take the Inner Party's special tags with a grain of salt anyway.
Monster Tent

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 04:43:21 AM

I think its hilarious that MNW doubled everyones bitcoins by posting "20 bitcoins doubled is 40 bitcoins" considering thats remarkably similar to pirate "doubling your bitcoins" 

Cheesy

Just wanted to point that out for those who didnt get the joke.

Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2012, 05:29:01 AM

Check this out!:

None of the news sources causing the trend have anything to do with MNW.

In fact, no one has written about it except for these forums.

Let's move on.

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
blablahblah (OP)

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 08:00:36 AM

Check this out!:

Let's move on.

Be honest. You didn't bother reading anything at all before replying?
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 08:19:16 AM

Trend is going up due to this:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=106059.0

Even CNN has already reported on TV about the 100.000 BTC ransom.

Has nothing to do with MNW. And we definitely have already enough threats about this.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
IamRichard

Activity: 567
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 08:23:47 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=106059.0

Even CNN has already reported on TV about the 100.000 BTC ransom.

Has nothing to do with MNW. And we definitely have already enough threats about this.

Yep its because of this
Akka
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 09:04:07 AM
Last edit: September 11, 2012, 07:55:13 PM by Akka

Has nothing to do with MNW...

Roll Eyes

I'm starting to understand how MNW miscalculated. Did you read the OP? Carefully?

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Poe%27s_Law

Use more smiles if you are tring to be sarkastik.  Wink

Some people (me) might take you serious.

Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2012, 03:26:41 PM

Check this out!:

Let's move on.

Be honest. You didn't bother reading anything at all before replying?

Of course I did, but the title is super misleading "Could MNW's heinous crimes be bluish for Bitcoin?"

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
BR0KK

Activity: 784

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 06:37:12 PM

Seriosly since when is skipping on a silly bet called a crime?
Not in my country.... Not in any I know of ....

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 06:55:59 PM

Seriosly since when is skipping on a silly bet called a crime?
Not in my country.... Not in any I know of ....
+1

But it seems in this forum we have tons of idiots. Ppl who invested in pirate ponzi because hurr durr 7% week and other ppl buying the debt based on a trolling thread.

Oh well, money moving from weak hands to strong hands.

BR0KK

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 07:10:46 PM

Yes that's true ... It's their own fault that they didn't look twice and invested blindly into pirate and ppt's

Skipping a bet is not a gentelmans choice but seriously not a crime at all ....
Investing in high interest and risk isn't a kids play either ....

BR0KK

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 07:56:36 PM

I read your post as fun but wanted to contribute something Wink

U know that sarcasm and co don't work in Forums especially with hot topicks line this pirate bfl mnw bullshit .....

Akka
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 08:06:30 PM

You just didn't overdraw it enough.

This is still by far the most racional threat about MNW and his "bet" in this entire forum.

BR0KK

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 08:41:43 PM

Hes laughing his ass of about all the noise he created with a single bet.... Even pirate has been left aside for a small amount of time....

The BFL ASIC /FPGA debacle is not a topic anymore ... everyone is happily sending them money (without proof of existence ... just like they did with pirate --> that doesn't imply that bfl is a scam, only that this kind weird business model they use is at least "fascinating" to watch. how people are rushing into things without thinking for a second "to good to be true"...)   Smiley

I lost a certain amount of potato chips on the forum over the last weeks and i have do work really hard not gaining extra pounds by this Cheesy

alexanderanon

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 04:17:00 AM
Last edit: September 12, 2012, 06:27:07 AM by alexanderanon

On a slightly more serious note, it's getting embarrassing to read so many sob stories about people who got "scammed" by MNW. I can only hope that these people will eventually learn their lesson, go to Gambler's Anonymous, or do whatever it takes to wean themselves off that urge to make retarded bets. I mean seriously, first they get taken for a ride by that Sea-man dude/tte, then they try to 'hedge' their losses by taking another gamble? Seriously? I don't know how they do it... There's gotta be money in it somewhere... It's my view that MNW has done a huge favour to the community with his prank.

Yes, sometimes people take risks in certain situations, particularly when there is lots of money to be made. Also, people make bets when bets are offered by seemingly semi-rational people, with an expectation of payment. This should surprise no one- oh, except for the endless parade of patronizing pissants who continue to make threads reminding this community that scams are in fact "learning lessons" for gambling "addicts". People have made lots of money with bitcoin, and all of it has been a GAMBLE. It almost seems like these people who so enjoy shouting from mountaintops about the gambling addicts of bitcoinworld with their proclivity for ponzi schemes are doing so in the same way SA liberals started screaming like zoo monkeys when bitcoin hit $2 a year ago.

Are people at fault for investing far more than they were prepared to lose in a potential ponzi scheme? Of course. Or for buying a sports car ahead of time on money expected to be paid by MNW? Yes. But the deluge of spam posts, all of which possess an underlying distaste for the gambling nature of bitcoin, are nothing more than the embittered "I told you so's" by individuals who, like SA goons, are petrified by anything with higher returns than a mutual fund, and yet were too afraid to bet their own 401k money on the pro side of pirate default bets. And the notion therefore, that MNW is somehow absolved of his sins because of this community's taste for gambling (and hookers! and blow!) is about as reliable as these risk-averse forum members making similar remarks months (years?) ago about this unrecognized (deflationary! illegal!) currency named bitcoin, in posts since deleted, and in wallet.dats since hastily filled, as they realize that a risk is a risk, an opportunity to make money and to lose money-- nothing more.
Akka
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 08:50:55 AM

...endless parade of patronizing pissants...
...all of it has been a GAMBLE.
...SA liberals...zoo monkeys...
deluge of spam posts...
...embittered "I told you so's"...
SA goons...
...these risk-averse forum members...

To summarise:
"You're a patronising pissant, yet completely right. It's all a gamble anyway, you're just bitter and twisted! And something about South Australian goons (wtf?) who are too scared to take risks."

Bravo!... impeccable logic! Wink

Please help me out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SA

Seriously, I have no idea what SA means in this context.

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2012, 11:55:48 AM

...endless parade of patronizing pissants...
...all of it has been a GAMBLE.
...SA liberals...zoo monkeys...
deluge of spam posts...
...embittered "I told you so's"...
SA goons...
...these risk-averse forum members...

To summarise:
"You're a patronising pissant, yet completely right. It's all a gamble anyway, you're just bitter and twisted! And something about South Australian goons (wtf?) who are too scared to take risks."

Bravo!... impeccable logic! Wink

Please help me out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SA

Seriously, I have no idea what SA means in this context.

Look for SA goons...

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: