Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:27:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin "Debit" card network  (Read 1135 times)
JupeB (OP)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 02:43:36 PM

I was reading someone else's post about "gambling" on a payment network for medical marijuana in Colorado, and that got me thinking about building a Bitcoin "debit" card system, which would allow users to pay merchants using a magnetic-stripe card and a PIN.

As for the technical back-end of payment processing, I envision one wallet being used to pass payments between various addresses within the same wallet. The wallet would be stored in a non-web accessible directory, and the wallet encryption passphrase could be randomized after every transaction.

The merchant interface would simply take the Bitcoin address encoded on the card, the PIN provided by the user, and verify that the address given has enough funds to perform the transfer. It would then transfer the bitcoins from the address given to the merchant's address. All users (merchants and debit card holders) would be able to access their account online to view balances and send money.

Thoughts? Is someone doing this already? The idea could definitely be co-opted by Bitpay; I just think it would be cool because it is based on infrastructure that already exists for merchants (magnetic swipe readers) and debit card holders (magnetic swipe cards).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 03:48:59 PM

Have a read up on OpenPay:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=92055.0

and

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=105791.0

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
Viceroy

Activity: 924
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 11:38:53 PM

Thoughts? Is someone doing this already? The idea could definitely be co-opted by Bitpay; I just think it would be cool because it is based on infrastructure that already exists for merchants (magnetic swipe readers) and debit card holders (magnetic swipe cards).

You mean other than me Smiley

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=106962.0
TheBible

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 11:47:18 PM

I was reading someone else's post about "gambling" on a payment network for medical marijuana in Colorado, and that got me thinking about building a Bitcoin "debit" card system, which would allow users to pay merchants using a magnetic-stripe card and a PIN.

As for the technical back-end of payment processing, I envision one wallet being used to pass payments between various addresses within the same wallet. The wallet would be stored in a non-web accessible directory, and the wallet encryption passphrase could be randomized after every transaction.

The merchant interface would simply take the Bitcoin address encoded on the card, the PIN provided by the user, and verify that the address given has enough funds to perform the transfer. It would then transfer the bitcoins from the address given to the merchant's address. All users (merchants and debit card holders) would be able to access their account online to view balances and send money.

Seems like a better idea would be to open a merchant who will actually accept that card.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: