Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 11:15:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: So when are we going to look into really finding Pirate?  (Read 4287 times)
michaelmclees (OP)

Activity: 633
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 12:51:36 AM

Is this so difficult?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
evolve

Activity: 700

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 12:58:52 AM
Last edit: September 11, 2012, 06:00:13 AM by evolve

The victims of the pirate scam are probably busy giving away the rest of their bitcoins to another scammer. Hell, half the victims still support and defend pirate.

Sooooooooo, never?

We cant even get the active scammers shut down, much less track down the old ones.

This place makes me sad.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2012, 04:37:59 AM

I'm doing my God Damned best, but my last efforts have all been for not. I found a strong connection between Pirate and Global Oil Fund, but all those posts have been removed.

I am not very happy now.

~Bruno~
BinaryMage

Activity: 560

Ad astra.

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 05:32:34 AM

I'm doing my God Damned best, but my last efforts have all been for not. I found a strong connection between Pirate and Global Oil Fund, but all those posts have been removed.

I am not very happy now.

~Bruno~

I would like you to know that I appreciate your efforts from the bottom of my heart.

-- BinaryMage -- | OTC | PGP
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 05:54:37 AM

Is this so difficult?

What have you done so far but post on this forum about it?

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Monster Tent

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 05:58:43 AM

I am not very happy now.

~Bruno~

Who removed them and why ?

repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 10:43:07 AM

What do you mean by "finding pirate".  His real life identity was known long before he defaulted as were the identities of some of his real life business associates and his family.  We even know when he's next due in court in relation to other matters.

What is needed now is for people who've lost funds to actually go ahead and file complaints with the various agencies responsible for investigating investment fraud, cyber-crime, etc.  The more people who do that, the better.  As such frauds go, this is not a big one, so a large volume of formal complaints is highly desirable.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 12:03:51 PM

I am not very happy now.

~Bruno~

Who removed them and why ?

Yes. Who? And why?
I suppose it was an admin of this forum, wasn't it?
michaelmclees (OP)

Activity: 633

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 12:35:40 PM

What do you mean by "finding pirate".  His real life identity was known long before he defaulted as were the identities of some of his real life business associates and his family.  We even know when he's next due in court in relation to other matters.

What is needed now is for people who've lost funds to actually go ahead and file complaints with the various agencies responsible for investigating investment fraud, cyber-crime, etc.  The more people who do that, the better.  As such frauds go, this is not a big one, so a large volume of formal complaints is highly desirable.

That's what I'm really wondering...  First, if his identity isn't know, can we not at least get a log from the forum admin with all the IP addresses he logged in with and go from there?  Second, if his identity is known, can we not get a complaint form together for BTCST customers to fill out so that a formal complaint or class action lawsuit may be filed?
DigitalHermit

Activity: 150

Thank you! Thank you! ...

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 03:09:13 PM

That's what I'm really wondering...  First, if his identity isn't know, can we not at least get a log from the forum admin with all the IP addresses he logged in with and go from there?  Second, if his identity is known, can we not get a complaint form together for BTCST customers to fill out so that a formal complaint or class action lawsuit may be filed?

"formal complaint or class action lawsuit"

What you are asking is that a group of crypto-anarchists should get together and seek legal redress from a central authority. Do you not understand how silly that request sounds and how it goes entirely against the fiber of this community?

So far the only consensus reached on punishment for Pirate has been to assign him a "Scammer" tag. If you believe additional punishment is needed from the community, then by all means outline what you intend. I am not interested in hearing about attempts at punishment than involve state actors. In my opinion it should be entirely community/consensus driven and peer-to-peer, just like Bitcoin itself.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2012, 03:32:53 PM

What you are asking is that a group of crypto-anarchists should get together and seek legal redress from a central authority. Do you not understand how silly that request sounds and how it goes entirely against the fiber of this community?

So far the only consensus reached on punishment for Pirate has been to assign him a "Scammer" tag. If you believe additional punishment is needed from the community, then by all means outline what you intend. I am not interested in hearing about attempts at punishment than involve state actors. In my opinion it should be entirely community/consensus driven and peer-to-peer, just like Bitcoin itself.

If you don't like it, feel free to not participate. As an anarchist you should appreciate that others have the freedom to seek other forms of action if they feel it necessary, and they should also be able to discuss without you talking down on them or saying you aren't interested in hearing about it. If you don't want to hear about it, then close the thread and go start your own.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 03:36:11 PM

If you don't like it, feel free to not participate. As an anarchist you should appreciate that others have the freedom to seek other forms of action if they feel it necessary, and they should also be able to discuss without you talking down on them or saying you aren't interested in hearing about it. If you don't want to hear about it, then close the thread and go start your own.

+1

This could be posted in several threads.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
DigitalHermit

Activity: 150

Thank you! Thank you! ...

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 03:55:57 PM

+1

Point taken and thanks for the advice.  I will continue to seek out those interested in community/peer-to-peer driven solutions to this problem and either ignore or argue against those who wish to resort to state backed coercive tactics.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2012, 04:10:33 PM

+1

Point taken and thanks for the advice.  I will continue to seek out those interested in community/peer-to-peer driven solutions to this problem and either ignore or argue against those who wish to resort to state backed coercive tactics.

Nice, we could use more sane anarchists here. Welcome to the forums  Wink.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
waltmarkers

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 04:15:06 PM

We just need a few locals to exercise their right to free speech and picket his house, while also exercising their Texas right to open carry.
Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 04:16:44 PM

We just need a few locals to exercise their right to free speech and picket his house, while also exercising their Texas right to open carry.
Texas doesn't have an open carry law.

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
Charlie Prime

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 04:51:00 PM

In my opinion it should be entirely community/consensus driven and peer-to-peer, just like Bitcoin itself.

I agree.  Victims of this crime should hire a private collection agency.

Ambit    ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  █████
██
████████████
Become part of the mining family
✔ SECURED  │ WHITEPAPER │  ★ 171% ROI
██   
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
█████  ██
██
████████████
zorgberg

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 05:59:38 PM

I don't care if it's private or what I just think someone needs to start busting some balls.
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 06:48:22 PM

What you are asking is that a group of crypto-anarchists should get together and seek legal redress from a central authority.
Who is making the claim that one must be a 'crypto-anarchist' (whatever the hell that means) in order to use bitcoin? If bitcoin is useless to all who are not crypto-anarchists [sic], we have a very long slog going forward.

And while anarchy may end up being a just principle for societal organization, it will not so be until some mechanism arises by which justice can be dispensed.

There may be a rational argument that joint vigilantism may be as just as what our current society provides. However engaging in such in today's environment exposes the 'vigilantes' (need a better term here) to being thrown in a cage.

Quote from: DigitalHermit
Do you not understand how silly that request sounds and how it goes entirely against the fiber of this community?

No. Not at all.

Quote from: DigitalHermit

I don't particularly care what _your_ interest may be. Do you not recognize the irony in an anarchist trying to coordinate a top-down enforcement of a single type of response to what pirate has done?

Bottom line, each injured party is free to pursue (or not) whatever remedy they so desire. For my part, I would like to share resources (time talent and treasure) with other such injured parties to bring pirate to justice. If after all we learn, the state is the most expeditious route to recovering some of my property, so be it.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
evolve

Activity: 700

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 07:00:14 PM

I'm not a "crypto-anarchist" (whatever that means), I'm a social democrat, and I would have no issue going to a central authority to get my money back (if I had gotten any money taken in one of these schemes, that is).

Not everyone here subscribes to your political affiliation.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: