Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:09:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Difficulty jump! Barrier of entry for mining  (Read 2356 times)
johnyj (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 09:38:08 PM

Difficulty has just jumped 5%, some 14/16nm chips are being turned on?

Previous two bubbles in bitcoin are mostly caused by the several magnitudes of efficiency raise of mining: Because mining usually is the lowest possible cost to get coin, when mining technology shifts, majority of miners will lose the ability to get enough coin through mining, and decided to go to market and purchase, that made the exchange rate skyrocket

After technology shift is over and new generation mining rigs can be deployed at large scale, the cost of mining will again become the lowest cost to get coins, so coin's exchange rate will eventually get close to the cost of mining due to arbitraging

During the bubble, many people paid their fiat money to get mining rigs or bitcoin, directly or indirectly supported the miners to upgrade infrastructure. And after the upgrading, the whole network commands much higher hash rate and becomes much more secure. Because many of those infrastructure projects have been ROIed, they can be easily relocated to places with cheap electricity and maintain same hash rate as before

This means, the network hash rate will never go down long term wise, due to more and more mining rigs will be ROIed over time. At the same time the barrier of entry will become higher and higher: There is a cost for each mining rig, unless you can make rigs of magnitudes higher efficiency, it might never ROI. Even if you have much more efficient miner, it would still take quite some time to ROI because of the heavy investment in chips

So, bitcoin's value is not only guaranteed by the mathematics in the protocol, but also driven by the continuous increase in the hashing power. When the barrier of entry getting higher and higher, anyone who want to invest in bitcoin mining would have to throw in a fortune to get some meaningful return

This is quite different than gold. Depleting a gold mine will not increase the difficulty of future gold mining too much, you would have similar cost when a new gold mine is found. But in bitcoin, all the investment are accumulative, makes it more and more difficult worldwide to get bitcoin over time, even the supply is constant in a 4 years period

That's the reason after each bubble, the bitcoin exchange rate will stabilize at much higher level than last bottom, due to higher barrier of entry in mining. This barrier drives small investors to exchanges and raise the exchange rate

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
aztecminer
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 10:02:04 PM

i quit mining. pointless to pay income taxes on it when the price is this low. buy and hold, pay the taxes on the difference later. paying income taxes on mined coins pretty much makes mining pointless. great for the irs though since they tax you twice on your coins if they worth more when u spend them.
SpanishSoldier

Activity: 686
Merit: 255

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 10:20:23 PM

Where exactly u got the data of 5% difficulty jump ? Last difficulty update took place on May 31, 2015. Next is within 3 days and according to https://alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator it wil go down 2.3%.
X7
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1009

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 10:20:27 PM

I used to mine pretty heavily when difficulty was around 8 Billion - will say that even then it was cheaper to BUY coins. Not sure mining will ever prove to be the cheaper alternative UNTIL the price of a single Bitcoin sky rockets. But then so many people will become miners that it will always find balance

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the world, and lose his own soul?
neurotypical

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 10:42:14 PM

i quit mining. pointless to pay income taxes on it when the price is this low. buy and hold, pay the taxes on the difference later. paying income taxes on mined coins pretty much makes mining pointless. great for the irs though since they tax you twice on your coins if they worth more when u spend them.

How do you pay the difference later if you don't know the difference? I forgot were I got some of my coins, I think some come from Mintpal which is a defunct exchange. I've seen a lot of people commenting on the same. Getting your Bitcoins properly taxed seems like a big nightmare.
johnyj (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 10:42:36 PM

Where exactly u got the data of 5% difficulty jump ? Last difficulty update took place on May 31, 2015. Next is within 3 days and according to https://alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator it wil go down 2.3%.

https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/difficulty

Sitarow
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 01:39:28 AM

Previous two bubbles in bitcoin are mostly caused by the several magnitudes of efficiency raise of mining: Because mining usually is the lowest possible cost to get coin, when mining technology shifts, majority of miners will lose the ability to get enough coin through mining, and decided to go to market and purchase, that made the exchange rate skyrocket

After technology shift is over and new generation mining rigs can be deployed at large scale, the cost of mining will again become the lowest cost to get coins, so coin's exchange rate will eventually get close to the cost of mining due to arbitraging

During the bubble, many people paid their fiat money to get mining rigs or bitcoin, directly or indirectly supported the miners to upgrade infrastructure. And after the upgrading, the whole network commands much higher hash rate and becomes much more secure. Because many of those infrastructure projects have been ROIed, they can be easily relocated to places with cheap electricity and maintain same hash rate as before

This means, the network hash rate will never go down long term wise, due to more and more mining rigs will be ROIed over time. At the same time the barrier of entry will become higher and higher: There is a cost for each mining rig, unless you can make rigs of magnitudes higher efficiency, it might never ROI. Even if you have much more efficient miner, it would still take quite some time to ROI because of the heavy investment in chips

So, bitcoin's value is not only guaranteed by the mathematics in the protocol, but also driven by the continuous increase in the hashing power. When the barrier of entry getting higher and higher, anyone who want to invest in bitcoin mining would have to throw in a fortune to get some meaningful return

This is quite different than gold. Depleting a gold mine will not increase the difficulty of future gold mining too much, you would have similar cost when a new gold mine is found. But in bitcoin, all the investment are accumulative, makes it more and more difficult worldwide to get bitcoin over time, even the supply is constant in a 4 years period

That's the reason after each bubble, the bitcoin exchange rate will stabilize at much higher level than last bottom, due to higher barrier of entry in mining. This barrier drives small investors to exchanges and raise the exchange rate

Yes
kenbytes

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 02:05:18 AM

Mining bitcoins for profit has just becoming increasingly difficult and the price of most of the hardware is silly. I'm an optimist but this is a bit much.

S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 07:15:05 AM

There was a brief spike in mid May where the hashing power jumped to 419,739,370 for a few hours then dropped.

Maybe the OP is refferening to that.
It is actually the highest in the last 60 days.
WhatTheGox
Legendary

Activity: 812

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 07:33:31 AM

Ive been noticing strange patterns with the difficulty and the price, its like the big miners are also involved with the big traders.   The difficulty can shoot right up and then the price seems to crash and visa versa.  Kinda the opposite of what you think might happen.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 07:40:17 AM

it's knc, apoparently they are the first that are running this, expect a wave of those new machine from chinese, soon, some of them might be already operative as a test, i don't know about their eficiency, but they should rise the diff to a whole new standard

not that it matter at this point, mining is already out of the question for casual miners anyway
Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 07:41:20 AM

There was a brief spike in mid May where the hashing power jumped to 419,739,370 for a few hours then dropped.

Maybe the OP is refferening to that.
It is actually the highest in the last 60 days.
Any idea what caused spike like that? To achieve hashing power of this magnitude some serious hardware is needed. And now it seems like some big farm started do mine and then close soon after?
I don't get it.
crazyivan
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1007

DMD Diamond Making Money 4+ years! Join us!

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 07:43:45 AM

Yes, PoW mining s slowly becoming extremely competitive and it requires a lot of funding and constant reinvestment.

This is why I strongly recommend people to go PoS. There are several nice PoS coins, DMD Diamond, Tek, Net, etc. where you can make money without the need to constantly manage and upgrade your hardware. Dont be stupid, choose easier and more profitable way.

I hope all you know what PoS and mining is. In case anyone needs any help, just drop me a PM, always glad to help out. 

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
afriezalie

Activity: 364

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 09:16:46 AM

In my theory, if mining difficulty jump, many miners will turn their ASICs off because they won't get ROI. I think difficulty will go down when they turn off their ASICs and it's back to normal. This thing will happen again and again. Whenever many miner use the new chips to mine, the difficulty will jump and go down again. That's my opinion Wink
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 09:57:45 AM

In my theory, if mining difficulty jump, many miners will turn their ASICs off because they won't get ROI. I think difficulty will go down when they turn off their ASICs and it's back to normal. This thing will happen again and again. Whenever many miner use the new chips to mine, the difficulty will jump and go down again. That's my opinion Wink

i'm sure at some point the new chips will surpass the current miners and that will take the difficulty up to new unseen levels.
okae
Legendary

Activity: 1399
Merit: 1004

northern exposure

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2015, 10:31:11 AM

Mining bitcoins for profit has just becoming increasingly difficult and the price of most of the hardware is silly. I'm an optimist but this is a bit much.

at least you still optimist, im not, i learn long time agoo that mining btc is useless for me since my electricity bill is more expensive than i get from minning and im not counting how many cost to me the hw, the ROI is imposible.

only 5%, lets see whats happend when all those chinesse farm renew his hw with those some 14/16nm chips Wink

IMHO #1.b of suspects, Hal Finney is/was S.N.
plasticAiredale

Activity: 207
Merit: 120

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 12:46:06 PM

How do you pay the difference later if you don't know the difference? I forgot were I got some of my coins, I think some come from Mintpal which is a defunct exchange. I've seen a lot of people commenting on the same. Getting your Bitcoins properly taxed seems like a big nightmare.

Its your responsibility to keep the documentation. If you are unaware of how much you paid, to be safe with the IRS, your cost basis will just have to be $0, and you'll have to pay capital gains on the full price when you sell.
zebedee
Donator

Activity: 668
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 01:22:14 PM

Getting your Bitcoins properly taxed seems like a big nightmare.
Lol, the words of a slave.
mr.coinstrader

Activity: 278

View Profile
June 13, 2015, 01:52:49 PM

it's getting harder and harder to mine and its only going to get harder. i actually think it's amazing that the creator of bitcoin set it up like this,  reward those who got in early and helped btc grow and make it harder as time goes on to mine coins when btc has gotten more popular
alh
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

View Profile
June 13, 2015, 07:30:27 PM

it's getting harder and harder to mine and its only going to get harder. i actually think it's amazing that the creator of bitcoin set it up like this,  reward those who got in early and helped btc grow and make it harder as time goes on to mine coins when btc has gotten more popular

While I am NOT a Bitcoin expert by any means, I think the whole point was was have the "Bitcoin currency supply" expand at a predictable and defined rate. The difficulty mechanism works hard at, and is pretty effective at, having 144 blocks per day added to the supply.

It's probably a poor choice to call it mining, rather than minting. It's supposed to be a currency after all, and not extraction of money from somewhere. No other kind of modern currency has private individuals producing they own coins (or paper).

Long term folks will not obtain Bitcoins via mining, just like folks today don't mint their own coins, or print their own bills.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: