Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:48:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [HOWTO] Hierarchical deterministic wallet  (Read 2295 times)
Delek (OP)

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

Salí para ver

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2015, 12:49:09 PM
Last edit: June 23, 2015, 02:38:55 PM by Delek

Hi there BTCguys  Cool

In a network based game that I'm developing there's possible to buy certain things with a points like system, it works but I will migrate the whole monetary system to Bitcoin for lot of advantages that you already know and not even worth commenting.

In a first sketch of the idea I simply come up with this:
1) Every new user gets his new random private+public key.
2) Every new item gets his new random private+public key.
3) If the system detects that item X's address gets a pay from user X's address, the item belongs to user X.

This is PURE bitcoin and it works, but:
New items are added all the time, so the whole process of creating a new item's address must run on the server making this vulnerable to a server hack.
I come up with the idea of having a UNIQUE OFFLINE COLD STORAGE wallet for the ENTIRE game, but then, and this is the main question: how do I recognize which item did the user buy? Could I use the less significative digits of VALUE output for storing the ID? There's a way to store arbitrary data on a output script?

EDIT: Found it!, using HD Wallets Smiley But how to code it in Java?

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
-> delek.net <-
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fbueller

Activity: 412
Merit: 266

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 01:25:42 PM

Maybe colored coins are something you might be interested in. You can mix colored coins at an address if you follow whatever rules there are - so a user with a single private key could hold multiple assets.

Colored coins are not much more than tracking child transactions of one where the 'color' was imparted. So a user collecting colored coins is analogous to collecting items.

Bitwasp Developer.
Delek (OP)

Salí para ver

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2015, 02:45:12 PM

I will use Bitcoin, thanks for the info anyway.  Wink

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
-> delek.net <-
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 04:18:08 PM

I will use Bitcoin, thanks for the info anyway.  Wink

Colored coins ARE Bitcoins.

It's simply a way of identifying a particular bitcoin output.
Delek (OP)

Salí para ver

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2015, 04:36:58 PM

I was thinking in standard bitcoin scheme, but this colored coins are included in some java library? How can I achieve a similar id thing with bitcoinj?

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
-> delek.net <-
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
lemipawa
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 04:41:20 PM

You could use a watching wallet on the live server, and keep the coins in cold storage. Basically the watching wallet only has the public keys, so even if that server is hacked, the Bitcoin is still safe. With the watching wallet, you can just monitor the addresses and see what transactions are being made.
Delek (OP)

Salí para ver

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2015, 04:51:39 PM
Last edit: June 16, 2015, 05:02:41 PM by Delek

Thanks for the watch only tip, lemipawa, but as I said before, items are generated all the time on the fly: creating an address, even a "watch only", is a server task and this should be avoided.
The scenario is only 1 Address for the game and Lot of addresses for the players, for example:

1GAMExuq835482hv9823yq8q21aaz
1PLAYER1xuq835482hv9823yq8q21aaz
1PLAYER2xuq835482hv9823yq8q21aaz
1PLAYER3xuq835482hv9823yq8q21aaz
1PLAYER4xuq835482hv9823yq8q21aaz
1PLAYER5xuq835482hv9823yq8q21aaz
1PLAYER6xuq835482hv9823yq8q21aaz

Transaction
1PLAYER1xuq835482hv9823yq8q21aaz buys item [ID] for 0.001btc -> 1GAMExuq835482hv9823yq8q21aaz

The question is, where can I store the [ID] in a way that will be transparent for bitcoin network but useful to me?  Embarrassed

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
-> delek.net <-
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Delek (OP)

Salí para ver

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2015, 12:53:19 PM
Last edit: June 23, 2015, 01:16:54 PM by Delek

Ok so I finally found something that should work.

Using a deterministic generation of public keys from a fixed private key by using a Master Public Key I can spawn lot of new addresses without compromising the master private key.
This theory was implemented inside Electrum wallet (hierarchical deterministic wallet).
Now I only need to generate new public adresses from a master public key in Java. Is it possible with BitcoinJ to generate hierarchical deterministic wallets? Where's the theory/info about Master Public Keys? Thanks guys.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
-> delek.net <-
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
coinpr0n

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Ok so I finally found something that should work.

Using a deterministic generation of public keys from a fixed private key by using a Master Public Key I can spawn lot of new addresses without compromising the master private key.
This theory was implemented inside Electrum wallet (hierarchical deterministic wallet).
Now I only need to generate new public adresses from a master public key in Java. Is it possible with BitcoinJ to generate hierarchical deterministic wallets? Where's the theory/info about Master Public Keys? Thanks guys.

Yes, it's possible... BitcoinJ uses Hierarchical Deterministic wallets (see: https://bitcoinj.github.io/working-with-the-wallet#seeds-and-mnemonic-codes).

I may have some code laying around but I'd need to find it. It's definitely possible.

Delek (OP)

Salí para ver

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2015, 04:32:45 PM
Last edit: June 26, 2015, 12:47:16 PM by Delek

Thanks coinpr0n, I coded this sofar:

Code:
public static void main(String[] args) throws Exception {
byte[] randomBytes=new byte[32];
new SecureRandom().nextBytes(randomBytes);

DeterministicKey key1 = HDKeyDerivation.createMasterPrivateKey(randomBytes).derive(1);
String serialized_xpub = key1.serializePubB58();
String serialized_xpriv = key1.serializePrivB58();

System.out.println("Deterministic tree:");
System.out.println("---- xpub: "+serialized_xpub);
for(int x=0; x<3; x++){
for(int z=0; z<3;z++){
String address=getAddressFromXCoord(serialized_xpub, x, z, false);
String priv=getAddressFromXCoord(serialized_xpriv, x, z, true);
System.out.println("------- derived public address from points "+x+","+z+": "+address+"/"+priv);
}
}
System.out.println("---- xpriv: "+serialized_xpriv);
}

Code:
static String getAddressFromCoords(String serialized_x, int x, int z, boolean priv){
NetworkParameters params = MainNetParams.get();
DeterministicKey root_xpub = DeterministicKey.deserializeB58(null,serialized_x);
int x_positive=x>0?x:x*-1, z_positive=z>0?z:z*-1;

DeterministicKey key = HDKeyDerivation.deriveChildKey(root_xpub, new ChildNumber(x_positive, false));
key = HDKeyDerivation.deriveChildKey(key, new ChildNumber(z_positive, false));

if(x<0)
key = HDKeyDerivation.deriveChildKey(key, new ChildNumber(x_positive, false));

if(z<0)

if(priv)return key.getPrivateKeyEncoded(params).toString();
else return key.toAddress(params).toString();
}

And it outputs for example:
Code:
Deterministic tree:
---- xpub: xpub68yoVWPimjBPNSD9Lp4SzfPbhCVkZpYTxsSJkt1zqt2skkbd9NpR4Q6DFPbtgmnLnkZsbjKnqKuLNTRb3skiBToc6gDAHxyFake78sRwDeG
------- derived public address from points 0,0 public: 12P4who4aXh3g4CX82Np7qkWcQRMtPU142 / private: L3KBFty38whmgDrTPP2r93dK3gtQ6YNokQgYy17QiWp84eK6E6nc
------- derived public address from points 0,1 public: 1LKMC8SHBtcj7bMkwU1rYorGfCYHeocrPC / private: L5cVafedoXX6cWaeL9oCZRUhhPxHo2JTeZ9ovLaQm2vssuH7FQrH
------- derived public address from points 0,2 public: 1Pbn6GW5LNtZVD8Le1ReGSz2QgvDE7e3bc / private: KxUe45V9eC3T6oKG4cUfrnThvqW8hwWqHaWYtqjM1sMQMnxVcVA4
------- derived public address from points 1,0 public: 1H4stLytbwDbmbMAm8FJjs2FEAsHAs7gBu / private: KzkMyHgPLqHNTNidCpwZ8bESKjNvYGYDCdsS59MU4gi65iuaPtUx
------- derived public address from points 1,1 public: 1LbuqXtbYAhJgZhvCmB78doft4BW3FKms4 / private: Kx2YbnfM6To2DwpXkZfjwLVvmphbeK46DJFCvdmFWpoktzDjAvqw
------- derived public address from points 1,2 public: 1AhADvSzuZLvWcHUZH4uQGx1XvkDExUWbT / private: L3eWaZWynXRuXpRzzQgaCC8EpBzXBh76hSnX1LJArGvtP3USaM9C
------- derived public address from points 2,0 public: 16deviewo45m65RqD2FxXTbnmtzUbNTBq / private: KwbxyS65itURqC5aLmkphtZhV3caq2G4QpRbHRTxpcrFbdW3covr
------- derived public address from points 2,1 public: 1FpG3QmDM5FAfyUvLSP5mBsuaPHJcKPwQ / private: KxApcJ2jmvVkf3FBPH5VspFMYTgBdeXHTyo9NxNbyrFon9eZKogo
------- derived public address from points 2,2 public: 1JhTUw5W6HcTAhAqfJik7x9ECznm76m8KY / private: L5826yjT7s6eU9Sk9PEX9ASpB8BFo2fLzAgnjWUXFQWJgdQ8Fiey
---- xpriv: xprv9uzT5zrpwMd69x8gEnXSdXSs9AfGAMpcbeWhxVcPHYVtsxGUbqWAWbmjQ9JvAeLLFVFJXtoJWy8WrMS1Ffg2cvacdXoVuLjmGsjiidJK7Uo

Now, I have some the questions:

1) It is fine just to simply start the MasterPrivateKey from 32 bytes of a SecureRandom?
2) After the creation of the MasterPrivateKey I call to .derive(1). What's the reason behind not using .derive(0)?
3) After getting the xpub, check how I managed to code a "plane" of addresses (the function getAddressFromCoords). It it fine to make another child of child if the coordinate is negative?
4) While the list of public keys derived from the master public key grows the chances of discover the private key also grows?, I mean, I can generate infinite public addresses with the xpub without EVER compromise the private key?
6) If I need to obtain the private key of some of those public address generated, how can this be done? Using the xpriv with a function like HDKeyDerivation.deriveChildPrivateKey(root_xpub, new ChildNumber(x_positive, false), xpriv)HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh??(Forget it, I already figured this one by my own)

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
-> delek.net <-
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Delek (OP)

Salí para ver

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2015, 12:47:46 PM

Nobody?  Sad

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
-> delek.net <-
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
June 26, 2015, 01:42:31 PM

1) It is fine just to simply start the MasterPrivateKey from 32 bytes of a SecureRandom?

As long as you are certain that your SecureRandom isn't compromised or broken, certainly.  Why wouldn't it be?

4) While the list of public keys derived from the master public key grows the chances of discover the private key also grows?,

No, not in any realistic way.

I mean, I can generate infinite public addresses

I doubt you have the time or enough energy to generate infinite public addresses.  The number of addresses that you do have time and energy for is not significant when compared to the total key space.

with the xpub without EVER compromise the private key?

As long as the Master Key was generated randomly, you aren't going to have enough time to realistically encounter a collision.
Delek (OP)

Salí para ver

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2015, 07:54:54 PM
Last edit: June 26, 2015, 08:22:20 PM by Delek

Thanks for your time, Danny.  Smiley

I have this two outstanding questions:

Quote from: Delek
2) After the creation of the MasterPrivateKey I call to .derive(1). What's the reason behind not using .derive(0)?
To complete the information: If I remove .derive(1) and add the xpub here: http://webhdwallet.github.io/
It shows the next legend:
"Non-standard key depth: should be 1, and it is 0, are you sure you want to use that?"

There's a security reason behind don't use a depth != 1? Maybe it is only a "standard"?

Quote from: Delek
3) After getting the xpub, check how I managed to code a "plane" of addresses (the function getAddressFromCoords). It it fine to make another child of child if the coordinate is negative?
For the game that I'm making, I need a plane of fresh new addresses for every x,z values; negative coordinates are acceptable too.

And because I can't have a negative ChildNumber, I end up with this trick to re-do a child with the positive value again if the number is negative.

static String getAddressFromCoords(String serialized_x, int x, int z, boolean priv){
      DeterministicKey root_xpub = DeterministicKey.deserializeB58(null,serialized_x);

DeterministicKey key = HDKeyDerivation.deriveChildKey(root_xpub, new ChildNumber(x_positive, false));

if(x<0)
         key = HDKeyDerivation.deriveChildKey(key, new ChildNumber(x_positive, false));

if(z<0)

if(priv)return key.getPrivateKeyEncoded(params).toString();
      else return key.toAddress(params).toString();
}

I end up with a tree like this:

/-------------
                                            /-Z
                                 /-------/-------
                                /-X     /
                    /--------/-------/----
                   /Z
         /------/-----------
xpub  /X
------/

EDIT:
So I found a bug in my function getAddressFromCoords():
------- derived public address from points -1,1 public: 1LUCtto3T8e4jdUHmZK7ThU6X6pGQ4czKE / private: KxugeoYxhzBnbAbxdL7unXv1LskqbAccwHhEjh1KMykrT19RcTEj
------- derived public address from points 1,-1 public: 1LUCtto3T8e4jdUHmZK7ThU6X6pGQ4czKE / private: KxugeoYxhzBnbAbxdL7unXv1LskqbAccwHhEjh1KMykrT19RcTEj

-1,1 and 1,-1 returns the SAME address. Fuck.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
-> delek.net <-
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Delek (OP)

Salí para ver

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2015, 07:21:24 PM

Ok this is the final one I think:
static String getAddressFromXCoord(String xpub, int x, int z, boolean priv){
      DeterministicKey root_xpub = DeterministicKey.deserializeB58(null,xpub);

if(x<0)key = HDKeyDerivation.deriveChildKey(key, new ChildNumber(x_positive, false));

if(z<0){
      }

return key.toAddress(params).toString();
}

I need to know if this technic (for every x and z) is SECURE, SAFE and re-usable with the same xpub on a server.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
-> delek.net <-
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: