Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:23:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What is your favorite Bitcoin project in September 2012?
cbitcoin - 7 (17.1%)
OpenPay - 8 (19.5%)
MultiBit - 7 (17.1%)
Open Transactions - 10 (24.4%)
BlockViewer - 9 (22%)
Total Voters: 41

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: [BPM] Bitcoin Project of the Month 2012-11: Nominations  (Read 9486 times)
randy-waterhouse

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 08:17:58 AM

As far as I understand Open Transactions is not directly Bitcoin related?

Well you probably don't understand it very much.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
phelix (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 02:26:50 PM

That's why I'm asking.
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 02:45:50 PM

If you field Multibit, you should also do so with the other wallets, like armory, electrum, etc.

I also would like to see blockviewer in the ring.
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2012, 02:59:27 PM
Last edit: September 13, 2012, 03:31:45 PM by etotheipi

Can I nominate myself?  I'm disappointed to see Armory is left off the list, given that it is the only solution out there that provides cold storage in a user-friendly way.  And given the astounding number of compromises that could've been avoided by using cold storage, I think highlighting the fact that cold storage is available with an easy-to-use interface would be extremely valuable to the community.

And it's not like that's the only benefit of Armory.  One-time paper backups (because wallets are deterministic) is another dramatic improvement over Bitcoin-Qt, even though it's not unique to Armory.  And of course there is key importing and sweeping, message signing, GPU-resistant wallet encryption, URL-handling, and watching-only wallets.

While Armory is technically still "alpha", it's due to user interface and setup issues, not security or stability.  I know a few users that keep 1000+ BTC in Armory because it has demonstrated extreme reliability and so far no one has ever lost coins using it.  Not to mention, BitcoinOPX was using it for their financial trading platform (though, they are gone, now).  Armory should be "beta" within a couple weeks, even though most users already treat it as beta+.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
MatthewLM
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 03:30:27 PM

Am I allowed to nominate my own project?  Tongue

sure, but I go first Cheesy

Thanks for nominating my project then. ;-)

I think Armory deserves nomination too.
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 03:45:45 PM

I agree that Armory and OT should be on the list.  

OT may not be limited to Bitcoin transactions but I see it as becoming very important for the Bitcoin economy.

/edit  Namecoin may have that potential as well as OT but I haven't seen much happening with it lately. 
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2012, 03:48:57 PM

Oh, I just realized this is "project of the month".  I won't un-nominate myself, but I think it makes more sense for Armory to be nominated when it actually goes Beta... probably next month.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
randy-waterhouse

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 10:04:20 PM

That's why I'm asking.

By that logic, you should probably state that only projects you understand as a further criteria on the front page then.
MatthewLM
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 10:47:28 PM

cbitcoin now has a website: http://cbitcoin.com/

So it would be good if that was included alongside an updated description for the vote.  Wink
phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 06:43:29 AM

Oh, I just realized this is "project of the month".  I won't un-nominate myself, but I think it makes more sense for Armory to be nominated when it actually goes Beta... probably next month.

your choice Smiley
phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 07:07:00 AM

I agree that Armory and OT should be on the list.  

OT may not be limited to Bitcoin transactions but I see it as becoming very important for the Bitcoin economy.

/edit  Namecoin may have that potential as well as OT but I haven't seen much happening with it lately. 

ok, I will put it up and let everyone decide.

as much as I am into Namecoin (see sig) I think it needs to wait for the next big thing.
phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 03:14:55 PM

I contacted thallium205 and it turns out blockviewer is public and nonprofit. Glad to have blockviewer as the next nominee.

Blockviewer is a strong argument to use "coin control". Sounds like thallium is going to pull more info out of the chain and even make it pretty. Wink
thallium205

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2012, 04:50:03 PM

I contacted thallium205 and it turns out blockviewer is public and nonprofit. Glad to have blockviewer as the next nominee.

Blockviewer is a strong argument to use "coin control". Sounds like thallium is going to pull more info out of the chain and even make it pretty. Wink

There are definitely some major changes coming - basically its going to look completely different.  I also ran out of space on my build server so its really delayed at the moment too - I feel its just really not yet polished enough for all this attention but oh well.  Thanks for nominating it!
randy-waterhouse

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 11:36:36 PM

You've omitted the Open-Transactions project page link in your OP for some reason ...

https://github.com/FellowTraveler/Open-Transactions

(it wasn't that difficult to find btw.)
phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 06:49:24 PM

will set up the vote monday morning ~9:00 (european time)

Let me know about any changes you would like in the nomination infos.
MatthewLM
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 09:39:16 PM

Well I have an updated description: https://github.com/MatthewLM/cbitcoin/

cbitcoin is a bitcoin library written in standard C99. It is currently in alpha-stage and should only be used experimentally. The purpose of the library is to make it easier for developers to create bitcoin applications and the library should be versatile enough to be used in many bitcoin projects. It is not a client library, rather it provides the basic building blocks of the bitcoin protocol.

The features includes:

Bitcoin message structures including serailisation and deserialisation functions.
A bitcoin script interpreter.
Functions for building and verifying merkle trees.
Basic functions which can be used in various validation models (full nodes, pruning nodes, SPV nodes or whatever).
Asynchronous networking code whcih provides a simple interface to the bitcoin network for sending and receiving messages.
A network address manager
Automatic bitcoin handshakes.
Automatic peer discovery.
Automatic pings.
Base-58 bitcoin address encoding.
Simple reference counting memory management.
Doxygen documentation and well-documented source code.
Purely standard C99 with weakly linked function prototypes for cryptography, PRNG and network dependencies.
Implementations of the dependencies using libevent and openssl.
randy-waterhouse

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 11:04:41 PM

You've omitted the Open-Transactions project page link in your OP for some reason ...

So it is a purposeful omission?

If you don't want Open-Transactions on the list, leave it off, it is your contest after all. But please don't be petty about it, it is beneath you Phelix.
phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 07:11:59 AM

If you don't want Open-Transactions on the list, leave it off, it is your contest after all. But please don't be petty about it, it is beneath you Phelix.

No, I forgot it and have you ignored. Thanks for the reminding me, though.
da2ce7
Legendary

Activity: 1222
Merit: 1016

Live and Let Live

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 09:48:24 AM

Well I don't know how relevant Open Transactions is yet... We still need to develop it to a more stable state.
However if any developers want to come and sail out onto the brave new waters of Open Transactions.  You are welcome to hang out in #opentransactions on Freenode.net

aka... it would be really cool to have some more developers! Smiley  Our API is coming along leaps and bounds.  Cheesy Cheesy

One off NP-Hard.
phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 01:38:03 PM

[...]

Well I don't know how relevant Open Transactions is yet... We still need to develop it to a more stable state.
However if any developers want to come and sail out onto the brave new waters of Open Transactions.  You are welcome to hang out in #opentransactions on Freenode.net

aka... it would be really cool to have some more developers! Smiley  Our API is coming along leaps and bounds.  Cheesy Cheesy

To be the Bitcoin Project of the Month it does not have to be finished. BPM is meant to draw attention to interesting projects with potential to help realize them.   Smiley

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: