Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 03:02:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Choosing a PSU  (Read 2573 times)
quakefiend420
Legendary

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 08:17:38 AM

Thanks very much for your input guys, appreciate it!

I have narrowed my search down to the following 2 PSU's -

Corsair CX750 (~$116)
Cougar GX1050 (used) (~$136) link - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817553008

Bear in mind these items are expensive where I'm located, hence above prices are a bit higher than you'd expect...

The Corsair is recommended by a lot on this forum, but the Cougar has some good reviews and is also Gold-rated

If you're determined to go with ATX over a server supply, I'd go with the Cougar over the Corsair.  The CX series is only bronze rated and as you pointed out, the Cougar is Gold which will save you in the long term on power usage as well as put out a little bit less heat at a given output.  I had that exact PSU a while back running an 850ish watt load 24/7 and it was a tank up until I sold it.  The extra maximum wattage will also give you more headroom for another miner or for overclocking later, which might be pushing the 750 a bit.
BitMainBuyer (OP)

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 08:25:10 AM

If you're determined to go with ATX over a server supply, I'd go with the Cougar over the Corsair.  The CX series is only bronze rated and as you pointed out, the Cougar is Gold which will save you in the long term on power usage as well as put out a little bit less heat at a given output.  I had that exact PSU a while back running an 850ish watt load 24/7 and it was a tank up until I sold it.  The extra maximum wattage will also give you more headroom for another miner or for overclocking later, which might be pushing the 750 a bit.
I'm already pushing it a bit getting the S5, in relation to noise levels, so I really can't deal with adding more noise with a server supply.
I have also bought a couple of Corsair SP120's so hopefully they will make the noise somewhat bearable...

I'm also leaning towards the Cougar so it's good to hear your feedback about it! Thanks
quakefiend420
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 08:37:21 AM

I'm already pushing it a bit getting the S5, in relation to noise levels, so I really can't deal with adding more noise with a server supply.
I have also bought a couple of Corsair SP120's so hopefully they will make the noise somewhat bearable...

I'm also leaning towards the Cougar so it's good to hear your feedback about it! Thanks

Ah! Well good news for you there then, the server supplies that I have will be actually quieter than the S5 at that load level(when you get close to max load they'll probably be about as loud as the S5, however).  And cheaper than the Cougar.  And have higher peak power and will also be Platinum rated instead of Gold.  Downside is, it's a miner supply only, just PCIe output and nothing else.

But if you do still want the Cougar I'm sure it will serve you well.  Can't really speak to volume level though, I never paid attention as it was in the rack the whole time, not in the house.
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 11:57:40 AM

Try not to get no-name PSU's, as they can fry basically anything.
BitMainBuyer (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 12:11:00 PM

Try not to get no-name PSU's, as they can fry basically anything.
I totally agree, but does Cougar really classify as a no-name? That's the question...
Also it is Gold certified so that helps.
hedgy73
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1077

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 04:19:06 PM

Also remember that the Corsair CX750 only has 2 x pci-e plugs and the S5 needs 4. You could probably use molex to pci-e converters but I'd be wary putting that wattage / amps through them because they can get hot and even melt which is obviously a fire risk.

In all honesty you're better off going for a branded psu with minimum 4 pci-e connections or a server supply with the same. Please take a look at Dogies psu guide if you need any help with an atx unit: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=486121.0.

If you're thinking about getting another S5 in the future then the EVGA Supernova 1300 or 1600 look just about perfect for the job as philipma1957 mentioned a few posts back as they both have 8 pci-e connectors.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 04:24:16 PM

Also remember that the Corsair CX750 only has 2 x pci-e plugs and the S5 needs 4. You could probably use molex to pci-e converters but I'd be wary putting that wattage / amps through them because they can get hot and even melt which is obviously a fire risk.

In all honesty you're better off going for a branded psu with minimum 4 pci-e connections or a server supply with the same. Please take a look at Dogies psu guide if you need any help with an atx unit: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=486121.0.

If you're thinking about getting another S5 in the future then the EVGA Supernova 1300 or 1600 look just about perfect for the job as philipma1957 mentioned a few posts back as they both have 8 pci-e connectors.

Don't even attempt molex to pci-e.   On wattage like this it's not if there is a problem but when.    Converting to pci-e cables normally are also not very good gauge cable, add that to mix as well.

Avoid this just like no name low quality PSU's.
hedgy73
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 04:28:48 PM

Don't even attempt molex to pci-e.   On wattage like this it's not if there is a problem but when.    Converting to pci-e cables normally are also not very good gauge cable, add that to mix as well.

Avoid this just like no name low quality PSU's.

+1 Smiley.
BitMainBuyer (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 05:54:47 PM

Also remember that the Corsair CX750 only has 2 x pci-e plugs and the S5 needs 4.

In all honesty you're better off going for a branded psu with minimum 4 pci-e connections or a server supply with the same.

I've seen other people mention this here that the CX750 only has 2 pci-e plugs, this is wrong. As per Corsair's site it has 4 plugs - http://www.corsair.com/en/cx-series-cx750m-modular-atx-power-supply-750-watt-80-plus-bronze-certified-modular-psu

I also don't like using Dogie's guide. Reason being he gives his rating but doesn't state why for example EVGA Supernova 1300W gets 93.0 rating, while the exact same model in 1100W version gets 78.0 or something similar  Huh Huh.....No explanation and it doesn't make sense. Also, he states the CX750 has 2 connectors, which is probably why people don't realise it has 4.

One last comment, what constitutes a no-name PSU? Corsair/Thermaltake/Cougar/CoolerMaster/EVGA/Gigabyte , is it safe to say these aren't no-names?
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 06:05:14 PM

Also remember that the Corsair CX750 only has 2 x pci-e plugs and the S5 needs 4.

In all honesty you're better off going for a branded psu with minimum 4 pci-e connections or a server supply with the same.

I've seen other people mention this here that the CX750 only has 2 pci-e plugs, this is wrong. As per Corsair's site it has 4 plugs - http://www.corsair.com/en/cx-series-cx750m-modular-atx-power-supply-750-watt-80-plus-bronze-certified-modular-psu

I also don't like using Dogie's guide. Reason being he gives his rating but doesn't state why for example EVGA Supernova 1300W gets 93.0 rating, while the exact same model in 1100W version gets 78.0 or something similar  Huh Huh.....No explanation and it doesn't make sense. Also, he states the CX750 has 2 connectors, which is probably why people don't realise it has 4.

One last comment, what constitutes a no-name PSU? Corsair/Thermaltake/Cougar/CoolerMaster/EVGA/Gigabyte , is it safe to say these aren't no-names?

I can't tell for sure but the CX750M almost looks like it has 2 pci-e cables with 2 pci-e plugs on each which would be listed as 4.   But since if it is really just using 2 cables it's not the same as having 4 different pci-e cables.

I would try to find someone on here who has that model to see if it's really 2 cords or 4 cords.
quakefiend420
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 06:08:13 PM

I can't tell for sure but the CX750M almost looks like it has 2 pci-e cables with 2 pci-e plugs on each which would be listed as 4.   But since if it is really just using 2 cables it's not the same as having 4 different pci-e cables.

I would try to find someone on here who has that model to see if it's really 2 cords or 4 cords.
I've had this one as well, and you're correct.  It's two cables with two PCIe connections per cable.
hedgy73
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 06:12:47 PM

I can't tell for sure but the CX750M almost looks like it has 2 pci-e cables with 2 pci-e plugs on each which would be listed as 4.   But since if it is really just using 2 cables it's not the same as having 4 different pci-e cables.

I've had this one as well, and you're correct.  It's two cables with two PCIe connections per cable.

Yes that's correct sorry its been a while since I owned one, they do indeed have 2 cables with 2 plugs on each.
BitMainBuyer (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 06:18:41 PM

I've had this one as well, and you're correct.  It's two cables with two PCIe connections per cable.
Ok, I presume given that it'll be powering a miner 24/7 it would be advised to have dedicated cables for each PCIe connection...

And my seach continues  Cheesy
quakefiend420
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 06:29:40 PM

Ok, I presume given that it'll be powering a miner 24/7 it would be advised to have dedicated cables for each PCIe connection...

It would likely work, but there are better PSUs out there for what you're doing.  Such as the ones in my signature lol Tongue
hedgy73
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 06:41:13 PM

Thinking back, for a while I actually had 3 x CX750's running 6 x Antminer S1's ( 2 x S1's per CX750 ). The S1's were pulling 360w / 30 amps each so 2 x S1's = 720w / 60 amps. Which is more than the S5 which pulls 600w / 50 amps. The 2 pci-e cables split into 4 pci-e connectors, 1 cable with 2 connectors powered each S1. The CX750s peak power is 825 w / 62 amps.

Sorry, my memory isn't what it used to be.....
BitMainBuyer (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 07:49:36 PM

It would likely work, but there are better PSUs out there for what you're doing.  Such as the ones in my signature lol Tongue
I would consider one of yours if it wasn't for the fact that you're on the complete opposite side of the world to me  Tongue
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 08:19:30 PM

Folks, soon I will possess an S5. I am now looking to buy a PSU.

At some point in the future, it may be anywhere from 2-10 months, I will probably get another miner such as S7 etc.

Couple of questions -
1) Should I get a PSU that will support future miners? Ie. get something like a 1300-1500W PSU?
2) If yes, surely this will be overkill for a single S5 and will end up costing me more in electricity bills?
3) Should I instead get something like a 750W PSU and then later in the year buy another PSU if/when I need one?

Appreciate any thoughts.

1. it wont be i would but i also have tons of PSU .
2. it will only use what the miner uses not what its rating at or does
3. if you do get a 750 make sure it is at least a gold standard with 4 stand alone PCIE plugs try not to share a plug you will need four PCIE PLUGS PLUGGED IN to it to run it right .

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 08:31:38 PM
Last edit: June 17, 2015, 08:43:40 PM by toptek

Folks, soon I will possess an S5. I am now looking to buy a PSU.

At some point in the future, it may be anywhere from 2-10 months, I will probably get another miner such as S7 etc.

Couple of questions -
1) Should I get a PSU that will support future miners? Ie. get something like a 1300-1500W PSU?
2) If yes, surely this will be overkill for a single S5 and will end up costing me more in electricity bills?
3) Should I instead get something like a 750W PSU and then later in the year buy another PSU if/when I need one?

Appreciate any thoughts.

1. it wont be i would but i also have tons of PSU .
2. it will only use what the miner uses not what its rating at or does
3. if you do get a 750 make sure it is at least a gold standard with 4 stand alone PCIE plugs try not to share a plug you will need four PCIE PLUGS PLUGGED IN to it to run it right .

A few i use, I got deals when i bought them i was there at the right time and place .

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ETEFTK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0090I9W66?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-1300G2-ATX12V-120-G2-1300-XR/dp/B00COIZTZM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1434572869&sr=1-1&keywords=super+nova+psu

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Toughpower-ATX12V-EPS12V-PS-TPG-0750DPCGUS-1/dp/B00F0B7KZC/ref=sr_1_15?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1434572906&sr=1-15&keywords=psu+750

I know they cost more then a server PSU but I don't care much for the wiring part and broke out boards, wires can tend to come lose etc . i have one server PSU I use form time to time but I'm more the plug and play type guy.

Tip: check out any ware house deals you see on Amazon they claim there is no warr but i have had a few things replaced by the brand under warr buying that way not because it went up, i tested it to see or wanted to make sure it doesn't etc .

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
quakefiend420
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 11:11:32 PM

I would consider one of yours if it wasn't for the fact that you're on the complete opposite side of the world to me  Tongue

Ah, yeah that does make a difference.

I'd go with the Cougar if those two are your only options, then.
BitMainBuyer (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 11:44:21 AM

Ok, say I ended up getting a CSM750, not the CX750.
It's an improved semi-modular, Gold-rated version of the CX750 - http://www.corsair.com/en/cs-series-modular-cs750m-750-watt-80-plus-gold-certified-psu

I thought it would have 4 separate PCIe cables but there are in fact only 2 cables, with 2 PCIe plugs on both.... Angry

Should I 100% get a refund and buy something else, or will the above be ok?
I'm at the stage now where I just want to get it powered and running.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: