Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 06:35:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Renting a computer with specific operating system and/or software  (Read 988 times)
danalex (OP)

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 08:56:00 PM

Using the same logic as for my idea of renting a wifi with password, we could have a site help us rent a computer with a specific operating system and/or software, and paying in bitcoins directly to the owner of the machine.
According to the licenses of them it could be legal or illegal to rent specific machines.
This could use something like TeamViewer - that is what I use for remote access. It works great with all sorts of devices.
But the website would actually help you find a specific machine and use a specific client (that could be other than TeamViewer) for the remote access according to your criteria of choice.
It doesn't seem overcomplicated to develop such a website.
I think I am going to try to implement such, using PHP, for hotspots and remote access for strangers. 
It would certainly be another jump into disruptive matters.
What do you reckon?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 09:59:08 PM

a site help us rent a computer with a specific operating system and/or software, and paying in bitcoins directly to the owner of the machine.

So let's say there is an expensive piece of software (or otherwise unavailable title) that I wouldn't be willing to buy but I would be willing to rent it per-hour, perhaps?  (And can't get a bootleg copy / or don't want to install it?) 

I could see demand for this.  Even within the bitcoin world ... I'ld pay for access to a system loaded with sierra charts all configured to access Mt. Gox feed, for instance.  As a Linux user I would need to set up a Windows VM and install it and ...   ya, so I've never touched Sierra Charts.  But I might pay to rent a system that has it, for a few hours.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

scintill

Activity: 448
Merit: 254

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2012, 10:46:35 PM

A potential problem is trust between the parties.  Does the renter trust the user to not change/break anything, do something illegal that could get the renter in trouble, etc.?  Does the user trust the renter to not hack the software to snoop on, mislead, etc. the user?

Definitely a good idea though.

1SCiN5kqkAbxxwesKMsH9GvyWnWP5YK2W | donations
danalex (OP)

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 10:52:29 PM

You could watch it and ask for the money you think is fair.
With teamViewer you can watch what others are doing on your computer as they do it and block it any time you want.

Or ask provide a cheaper or free service for the sake of it.

I see potential here.
Also the website would be neutral. It would be up to the users to use it righteous, etc.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 12:14:30 AM

A potential problem is trust between the parties.  Does the renter trust the user to not change/break anything, do something illegal that could get the renter in trouble, etc.?  Does the user trust the renter to not hack the software to snoop on, mislead, etc. the user?

Definitely a good idea though.

Oh, anything other than doing an image restore after the session is over is asking get p0wned!   This would need to be a service offered commercially, though because it could be someone offering it from anywhere in the world, there probably would be no problem finding willing suppliers of systems for this endeavor.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2012, 12:21:17 AM

One of the guys on here has a service for setting up a virtual machine connected to the Internet for rent...pretty slick idea.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 12:37:15 AM

One of the guys on here has a service for setting up a virtual machine connected to the Internet for rent...pretty slick idea.

Do you know what that is?

I see this for remote access for an accounting system:

- http://itfix.ca/accountinghostinginfo.html

I know of ByteSized, not sure how that relates:

- https://bytesized-hosting.com/

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 12:48:51 AM

There could be several parameters used for finding the right system as well, for instance, for some uses, renting a system nearby would be a good idea, to have reduced ping times.

Paying anonymously with bitcoin could of course be a risk, as the renter could to anything illegal, for example downloading copyrighted software (warez) in france.

I can see many legit, and many non-legit uses for this as well. Many providers already let you create virtual servers on the fly, amazon for example.

Reimaging the machine after rental could be one way to avoid having anything malicious permanently done, but having access to a local machine of some random internet user also means you may have access to more devices in his home over his local network, and these may be comromized as well if security is not good enough.

There was already one suggested use case scenario of a fully configured system with Sierra Charts, is there any other use cases you would suggest?

Imagine someone rented a system, and then did a SR purchase from it, and then that somehow was intercepted and the person renting out his PC got law enforcement knocking on his door, unlikely - but not impossible.

It looks that perhaps only commercial providers should really do this, as the risk may be too high for non-tech home users?
danalex (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 01:41:16 AM

Possibilities are endess, cannot see a use case that could help particulary realise the potential of the idea.
The system would be neutral regarding risks. It would be up to the renter to charge taking into account the risks and/or monitor its use during that time and restore the system to a previous configuration. For the peace of mind of the renter he could rent himself a VPN service and only allow that tunneled internet connection to be used, restrict certain things, etc, etc.
Free market and competition would tend to bring cheap services but the higher thr risk the more you could charge, according a rewarding system of rankings or something like that.
It would be up to each to measure the risks and set things properly, the system would be neutral for that matter and eventually you could make some good bitcoins with it or use it for a specific purpose - like playing a specic stage of a game - and spend some to feed the economies.
Sorry for not going much into spacific cases. I find that a bit vague and don't think would help much the discussion.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: