Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:30:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin London 2012?  (Read 4182 times)
JackH (OP)

Activity: 381
Merit: 255

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 02:52:01 AM

Hey I know there have been talks for quite a while about Bitcoin London 2012, and I know of this site: http://bitcoin2012.com/

But I cant help to wonder if all this is going ahead, since I cant seem to find any updated posts on this forum, about an event which could be quite significant to the Bitcoin industry.

The reason for my doubt is also because I read all this about Intersango and all the Bitcoinica hack and all that (cant really make up whats everything is really about, except for the fact that there are problems). So since the Intersango guys were pretty much the driving factor behind the 2012 London  event, I would love if anyone could shed light on where we stand with the event?  Smiley

Oh and if anyone wants to meet up to discuss Bitcoin and its potential flotation onto the credit markets please do feel free to contact me on PM. I am most likely being joined by some people in the payment industry from banks and payment networds (Visa/MC). However, the confusion about the latest events with all the scam stuff has left me wonder if people that originally took care of these events are even to be seen any longer?

Sorry if I misread how the world of Bitcoin is now at days, but there are alot of posts on this forum Wink

<helo> funny that this proposal grows the maximum block size to 8GB, and is seen as a compromise
<helo> oh, you don't like a 20x increase? well how about 8192x increase?
<JackH> lmao

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 09:08:13 AM

Still going ahead.  Amir posted the updated schedule a few days ago.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=67199.msg1048482#msg1048482

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2012, 09:33:36 AM

Yes it is still going ahead - I think it is going to be a great event.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
garyrowe

Activity: 198
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2012, 11:20:42 AM

I'll be attending for sure.

It would be very interesting to hear the views of the folks at Visa etc. I imagine that the good folks in those organisations will be well aware of Bitcoin, but will rightly be treating it as a largely insignificant threat to their current operations. After all, the market capitalization of Bitcoin is probably less than their daily network operations bill.

However, Bitcoin offers a unique opportunity. Imagine that they decided to use the Bitcoin network themselves in order to reduce the costs of their own money transfers and secure network infrastructure costs. This could represent a considerable internal saving for them.

Also, if they chose to act as a gateway for Bitcoin (after buying up large quantities themselves) they would be able to take advantage of the one-off rise in value against other currencies which would serve as a profitable investment. Shareholders would be pleased when their dividend statement arrived.

Over time, they would be able to divest themselves of some of the restrictions they are forced to operate under in order to provide fraud protection which would only serve to improve the efficiency of their organisation. This in turn would lead to a reduction in margin, but would be offset by a significant rise in volume due to reaching previously inaccessible markets (people without bank accounts, the third world poor etc).

Merchants would benefit from reduced transaction fees and a better overall service (irreversible transactions = fewer complaints to the helpdesk etc).

It would be good to see a gatekeeper become an innkeeper.

minorman
Legendary

Activity: 945
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 06:54:56 AM

I'm going. Very excited...

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 02:58:55 PM

We sold 10% of the 700 tickets available so far. I'm about to close the issuing of the first 100 tickets.

That's really unusual because last year we only ended up selling the tickets during the last week before the conference which made organising it really difficult.

Factors in our favour this year:
- In London, not the remote location of Prague.
- Proven ourselves with first conference.
- Good speaker lineup. Fast ticket sales.

If we sell out all 700 tickets, then next year we will get the 10,000 people venue and make a huge event about opensource, new economy and Bitcoin topics in general.

We've already booked the third room and are going to be offering booths for Bitcoin startups and a lounge for chilling.

I'm posting updates on bitcoin2012.com homepage.
JackH (OP)

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 01:08:26 PM

All still on track for this?

<helo> funny that this proposal grows the maximum block size to 8GB, and is seen as a compromise
<JackH> lmao
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 02:53:16 PM

Bitcoin Magazine team will be there. We've already booked hotel and most flights/trains.

Also after the conference I will host a BBQ in Sheffield on 18th (2-3 hour train ride and 2 extra days in UK for those who goes, RSVP only).

-
JackH (OP)

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 08:25:37 PM

Take a look here plz: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=95875.0

This is why I am really worried this will go down the drain.

<JackH> lmao
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2012, 08:45:40 PM

Take a look here plz: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=95875.0

This is why I am really worried this will go down the drain.

I don't think this is the case, that has all been sorted out.

Anyway the bitcoin2012 thread has been opened up again, now that everyone is distracted by pirate.

I'm going to be in London for the whole month of September.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=67199.240

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 09:45:45 PM

It's my plan to attend. I'm looking forward to it. Besides, its right smack in the middle of London Fashion Week. And as you know, I am a fashion photographer, so I would have been there anyway. It will be a pleasure to skip the catwalk and talk about something of a different substance. :-)

crazy-rabbit

more or less retired.
FuzzyBear
Legendary

Activity: 1420
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2012, 10:52:42 AM

I will be going and welcome meeting up with anyone, just PM me, will be interested to see what other currencies are there....

Look forward to seeing you all Smiley

All donations greatly appreciated:

BTC: 18R5YiVKqtEsru8y4wCANQPJ81AJCk5Esi
LTC: LbMPUzwPRkWa5hCJGrEiRCeoYExY6Ujt1D
LQC: vbJVpeF82Ezd3Dx8ubWeiFeEguFwPctzJL
I0C: jU8MuSJcw7XmauyddGFSoo5HzEAPgjxfsz
IXC: xhUfkeNiVGaWFkEcuv8tTUGHX6PLt9dZ94
PPC: PDtcFPhMa9Hc9zTfoRG7zcURCRpcpRdMym

***** Earn DEV at http://devtome.com *****
blablahblah

Activity: 775

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 11:41:09 AM

Factors in our favour this year:
- In London, not the remote location of Prague.

Ouch. harsh! People have borderless access to Prague via car, bus or train from several adjacent countries. And it's not so far from some of the Eastern European countries either. Whereas London is not only on an island, it's not really known as a "low cost" destination either.
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 12:02:56 PM

Ouch. harsh! People have borderless access to Prague via car, bus or train from several adjacent countries. And it's not so far from some of the Eastern European countries either. Whereas London is not only on an island, it's not really known as a "low cost" destination either.

Yep, this conference is going to hurt my wallet. I would be more happy to invest that money in development of cool bitcoin products/services Smiley But I guess the organizers want to focus more on business-y types than to cheap ass hackers, therefore the location.

But I think it is going to be worth the investment, let's see. If anybody wants to chat, feel free to approach me, I'm bald guy with a beard Smiley

nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2012, 01:29:38 PM

I'm gonna be there, you can bet your bottom bitcoin, I'll be there...

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
tenakha

Activity: 1470
Merit: 509

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 02:19:35 PM

See you there.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

:-)
JackH (OP)

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 02:48:00 PM

This is going to be massive for sure. Cya all in London!

<JackH> lmao
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2012, 10:03:02 PM

This is going to be massive for sure. Cya all in London!

See you there, I've already met some of them.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2012, 02:59:47 PM

I'm in central London now! Guess I might bump into one or two of ya at the Antalya tonight?

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: