Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:58:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: miner heat  (Read 1630 times)
FabioCarpi (OP)

Activity: 375
Merit: 254

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 09:22:08 PM

I have a block erupter blade that mining at 10,7ghs.
I always measure his temperature with an infrared thermometer and measures around 158 degrees
I wanted your opinions on how I can do to take advantage of this heat to heat water for example

eu tenho uma block erupter blade que minera à 10,7ghs.
eu sempre meço a temperatura dele com um termômetro infravermelho e mede em torno de 70 graus.
eu queria a opinião de vocês de como que posso fazer pra aproveitar esse calor aquecer água por exemplo
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SerialLain

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 11:31:25 PM

Like this?

https://i.imgur.com/VeVVdMB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zDyHFGA.jpg

Some old avalon3 miners that are water cooled, you can see little green lights hiding in the makeshift shelves.

The miners are hooked up to a heat exchanger and feed the radiators for the shed.

lemipawa
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 11:38:20 PM

If you live in a cold area, or when it gets cold, you can put a couple fans in front of the heatsinks to vent the air into a room to heat it up. You might also be able to find a way to vent it directly into your heating system (if you use central air) and have that circulate around the house.
valkir
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 01:42:03 AM

Like this?

https://i.imgur.com/VeVVdMB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zDyHFGA.jpg

Some old avalon3 miners that are water cooled, you can see little green lights hiding in the makeshift shelves.

The miners are hooked up to a heat exchanger and feed the radiators for the shed.

You make the water cooing system yourself ?? that really nice.  Smiley

██     Please support sidehack with his new miner project Send to :

1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
FabioCarpi (OP)

Activity: 375
Merit: 254

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 02:11:46 AM

I found it very interesting what you did.
But I do not think to do the same because it is difficult to find specific pieces in my state.
Also, the blade is a little sloppy, in my opinion, because the sink is not in contact with the chips. So the heat must cross the board ...

Achei muito interessante o que você fez.
Mas acho que não pra fazer igual porque é difícil encontrar peças específicas em meus estado.
E também, a blade é um pouco mal feita, na minha opinião, porque o dissipador não fica em contato com os chips. Então o calor tem que atravessar a placa...
SerialLain

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 08:38:07 PM

You make the water cooing system yourself ?? that really nice.  Smiley

Thank you, fabricated it from scratch by myself. CNC'ed from 4mm aluminum plates and sandwiched together and has a total width of 7 mm, I want to have 5 mm in total for experiments on the S5 when I get around to designing it.

It was an experimental project for fun with a (actual) farmer I know, we've so far mixed standard house heating with mining.

CAD designs are already done for Avalon 4 and Antminer S5 is next in row, current design goal is have cooling plates running at house circulation pressures. This would put it in the 2-3 bar pressure range and would be heaps of fun to do. A part of the engineering would be dumpload controls that make sure the circulation maintains a set temperature, right now we let the radiators naturally release the heat into the room. This limits thermal emissions to fairly low numbers, I've had to underclock the miners so they don't surpass the thermal emission capacity of the radiators.

I found it very interesting what you did.
But I do not think to do the same because it is difficult to find specific pieces in my state.
Also, the blade is a little sloppy, in my opinion, because the sink is not in contact with the chips. So the heat must cross the board ...

Achei muito interessante o que você fez.
Mas acho que não pra fazer igual porque é difícil encontrar peças específicas em meus estado.
E também, a blade é um pouco mal feita, na minha opinião, porque o dissipador não fica em contato com os chips. Então o calor tem que atravessar a placa...

The parts are aluminum plates that are easy to get but the hard part was access to a fabrication site, if you are in pinch you can simply get a Chinese CNC rapid developer to fabricate the parts. Provided you have the CAD drawings ready and willing to pay a reasonable fee.

There are heat sinks placed on the chips, they aren't shown in the image. The Avalon 3 design actually transfers most of the thermal energy through the bottom of the PCB board, if you look under the PCB you can see the solder forming a solid thermal conduction block. The Avalon 3 stock cooling reflects this but I would prefer to water cool both sides as well. So far I've had Avalon3 running at around 30-40C, it mostly depends on temperature of the coolant, Avalon 3 can run smoothly at 50C.
chalkboard17

Activity: 484
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 08:23:31 PM

He is not asking how to dissipate heat. He wants to actually use the heat to boil water for cooking, for example.
First, you are aware this miner will not get you more than a few dollars per quarter, right? If electricity price is also added your roi is negative or close to that as energy price in Brazil is very expensive

You are asking about thermodynamics energy. I don't think you will have much use to that with a single miner. Perhaps with several dozens of them you could start thinking on funneling their heat or something like that.

▄▄  ▄▄                
            ██  ▀▀  ▀▀   ██           
        ██                   ██

██  ██  ▄▄            
     ██    ██           ▀▀  ▄▄        
                  ███       ▀▀        
   ██    ██   ███      ███     ██     
                          ███         
  ██   ██   ██    ███ ███    ▄▄   ██  
               ███           ▀▀       
  ██   ██  ███           ███  ██   ██ 
                     ███              
    ▄▄  ██    ███ ███     ▄▄  ██   ██ 
    ▀▀    ▄▄              ▀▀          
      ▄▄  ▀▀          ███    ██   ██  
      ▀▀      ██  ███                 
         ██              ███    ███   
             ██  ██  ███              
       ██                    ██       
           ███  ▄▄▄  ▄▄  ███          
                ▀▀▀  ▀▀               

STREAMITY

Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
  Telegram
LinkedIn
Medium
SerialLain

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 12:06:20 AM

He is not asking how to dissipate heat. He wants to actually use the heat to boil water for cooking, for example.
First, you are aware this miner will not get you more than a few dollars per quarter, right? If electricity price is also added your roi is negative or close to that as energy price in Brazil is very expensive

You are asking about thermodynamics energy. I don't think you will have much use to that with a single miner. Perhaps with several dozens of them you could start thinking on funneling their heat or something like that.

In the case of boiling I can only imagine that Spoondoolies units are capable of reaching boiling temperature, the Spoondoolies ASICs can run at above 100C. It would be an interesting project to use water evaporation to cool ASICs.

As I don't know the prices in Brazil I couldn't guess what would be the roi nor do I have the experience for operating miners in hot climates.

Electric prices are low here in Iceland about $0.074 er kWh on the site where the picture is taken. The miners are over a year old, they made roi long time ago. The miners still net a profit and give about $0.102 per kWh used, which gives a profit of $0.028 per kWh per hour. That is about $250 per annum or $20.44 per month. It's not a whooping amount but it's essentially free heating in a cold, horrid and desolate place.

The miner heat is currently used to heat up the shed, that's about it. The only realistic use I can find for miners beyond profit.
Jeremycoin
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 10:08:25 AM

This is so creative idea, heating a water with miner heat.
I also did this kind of thing, using my laptop to ironing a blanket. Grin

faucet used to be profitable
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: