Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:14:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is my Bitcoin mining?  (Read 1491 times)
c789 (OP)

Activity: 850
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 04:05:45 AM
Last edit: July 27, 2017, 01:09:04 AM by c789

[July 2017: This is an old post (September 2012) and the information is no longer relevant. I just brought it up to celebrate]

My computer doesn't seem to be mining for Bitcoins.

I downloaded Bitcoin-Qt 0.6.3 from the main page (redirected to SourceForge for the download) to my Windows 7 tower (4GB RAM, 3.0 GHz). Not much else is running on the computer. I've watched the green bar to the left of "Synchronizing with network..." go from "~50,000 blocks remaining" to completing the blocks, and then starting over. I have 55 active connections to the Bitcoin network.

18 hours later, I have 0.00 BTC. I thought I'd at least see something...anything but "0.00". Maybe I'm just anxious after 18 hours, but I wanted to see if this is normal or not.

I'm sorry if this has been asked and already answered. I tried searching and didn't see anything about this.

Comparison of Privacy-Centric Coins: https://moneroforcash.com/monero-vs-dash-vs-zcash-vs-bitcoinmixers.php also includes Verge and Pivx

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 04:09:03 AM

My computer doesn't seem to be mining for Bitcoins.

I downloaded Bitcoin-Qt 0.6.3 from the main page (redirected to SourceForge for the download) to my Windows 7 tower (4GB RAM, 3.0 GHz). Not much else is running on the computer. I've watched the green bar to the left of "Synchronizing with network..." go from "~50,000 blocks remaining" to completing the blocks, and then starting over. I have 55 active connections to the Bitcoin network.

18 hours later, I have 0.00 BTC. I thought I'd at least see something...anything but "0.00". Maybe I'm just anxious after 18 hours, but I wanted to see if this is normal or not.

I'm sorry if this has been asked and already answered. I tried searching and didn't see anything about this.

http://www.weusecoins.com/mining-guide.php

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 04:15:55 AM

Bitcoin-QT is a wallet.  It doesn't mine anything... ever.  The analogy would be like asking does my Bank Of America online banking do mining.  At one time (a long time ago) the client had a built-in miner but it was removed because it simply couldn't keep pace with the difficulty.   You could mine for years and not get anything with the old client.  To put it into perspective difficulty is now ~2.7 MILLION times higher than when the network launched.   For the same amount of computing power it will take you 2.7 millions times as long to produce the same amount of coins.

Today to participate in mining you need a piece of software called a "miner".  This would be seperate from Bitcoin-QT (or any other client/wallet).  You also will need a significant amount of GPU computing power and cheap electricity or specialized hardware (FPGA) to have the ability to mine more than a token amount (bitcents per day).
c789 (OP)

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 04:37:43 AM

Thank you for answering my questions and verifying that I wasn't mining.

What solo miner software do you recommend if I have 7-8 separate PC's, most of which are in one room and several others are a few miles away? Cooling and electricity will not be a concern.

I realize that I won't make much, but why not give it a go since I have the computers and have no other costs?

Comparison of Privacy-Centric Coins: https://moneroforcash.com/monero-vs-dash-vs-zcash-vs-bitcoinmixers.php also includes Verge and Pivx
HungDaddy

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 04:38:58 AM

Even if you had properly set up the client to mine, if you aren't mining as part of a pool, you are solo mining. Unless you have some serious hardware pumping out giga hashes, you could go a very long time solo mining before ever discovering a block.
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 05:08:34 AM

Thank you for answering my questions and verifying that I wasn't mining.

What solo miner software do you recommend if I have 7-8 separate PC's, most of which are in one room and several others are a few miles away? Cooling and electricity will not be a concern.

I realize that I won't make much, but why not give it a go since I have the computers and have no other costs?

cgminer is a good mining software. Set it up on each device/computer and point it towards a pool or a computer running your bitcoin client service with RPC active. However, don't solo mine unless you have 50-100 GH/s minimum, which is the equivalent of about 100 HD7970 ... Use a pool software instead, e.g. p2pool.

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
CJGoodings

Activity: 322
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 05:44:52 AM

If your mining with cpus on those rigs, its really not worth it, they wont make their value in bitcoins before they burn out.
thepwnorbpwnd

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 07:22:39 AM

If you do plan on mining with you CPU's only I recommend triplemining as your pool and GUIminer as an easy miner for your first mining ops.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 12:10:50 PM

Please note, mining is not a get rich quick scheme.

And please, go read the bitcoin wiki and some guides before you attempt other things.

And cpu mining is epic useless.

c789 (OP)

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 01:06:59 AM

This is c789 making my 789th post Smiley I thought it would be fitting to do it here where it all began.

As you can see from my first post, I was franticly trying to learn to mine as quickly as possible. In fact, "c789" means nothing special. It's just happened to be what I hurriedly typed out while thinking "I don't want to have to create a user name on another board that I'll never use again...I just want to mine!"

Thanks to everyone for your help. It's been great!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: