Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 01:08:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is dev's identity absolutely needed to be known ?  (Read 1491 times)
Namek (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 02:06:01 AM

Hello

What is your opinion on this subject ?
Do you think that every dev should provide all of his personal infos, such as driving license, payment bills, etc. ?

Because if you look at bitcoin case, we don't know who is Satoshi Nakamoto... Also a lot of other serious coins which are in the top 10 of the biggest capitalizations have been developed by anonymous dev's...
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 02:10:55 AM

Hello

Do you think that every dev should provide all of his personal infos, such as driving license, payment bills, etc. ?

Because if you look at bitcoin case, we don't know who is Satoshi Nakamoto... Also a lot of other serious coins which are in the top 10 of the biggest capitalizations have been developed by anonymous dev's...

Definitely no. I think anonimity in crypto is as important as decentralization. There are a lot of crazy people out there.
Besides, it's not like scamming others is tied to anonimity (eg. Josh Garza).

Not your keys, not your coins!
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2015, 02:11:46 AM

Hello

Bitcoin is crumbling right now because of Satoshi's madness. I think developer identity is paramount.
TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 02:24:59 AM

Hello

Bitcoin is crumbling right now because of Satoshi's madness. I think developer identity is paramount.

If Satoshi had zero Bitcoins then would people really care?  BTC has been open sources for ages, hashes match and anyone been able to comb through it and find out whether it had backdoors or not.

I think the problem here is Satoshi is alleged to have mined up to a million bitcoins.   Use whatever word you want from skepticism, to envy or jealously but the man on the street isn't going to buy something where 5%-10% of the total supply rests in the hands of some totally anonymous dude.  Actually that very same reason is why most alternates are screwed in the long run too.

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 02:26:41 AM

Hello

If Satoshi had zero Bitcoins then would people really care?  BTC has been open sources for ages, hashes match and anyone been able to comb through it and find out whether it had backdoors or not.

I think the problem here is Satoshi is alleged to have mined up to a million bitcoins.   Use whatever word you want from skepticism, to envy or jealously but the man on the street isn't going to buy something where 5%-10% of the total supply rests in the hands of some totally anonymous dude.  Actually that very same reason is why most alternates are screwed in the long run too.

That's a problem of distribution and has nothing to do with anonimity.

Not your keys, not your coins!
Crestington
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1024

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 10:23:14 AM

You can prove yourself over time and through your actions, that is stronger than proving any identity could do but if new, then you are pretty much dead in the water if you cannot prove your identity because there is nothing stopping the developer from abandoning the project. If you have been around for some time and active then you really are not anonymous, it's most likely that many people know your identity but choose not to share personal information.

Short answer is developers don't need to show their identity if they can show they can be trusted.
Cearea11

Activity: 70
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 10:31:41 AM

Hello

It depends by situations. Maybe if you provide all your personal infos people will more trust on you. Ofc in the world there are a lot of anonymous societies. So it definetly depends on what you develop and why you develop this. For example if you develop a software that convert you BTC/USD live you can also be anonymous, but if you develop a wallet, you should provide your infos.
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 10:33:39 AM

Current bitcoin devs are not anonymous, there are real persons that are the face of bitcoin development now and for a good reason; People need to build trust. We cannot do that with anonymous People..
canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 01:47:05 PM

Hello

Yes, in the case of an ICO or premine. No otherwise.

NoBit

Activity: 326
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 02:15:22 PM

People feel more secure when they know the real devs.

Bitrated user: nobit.
Dick Valentine

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 02:36:51 PM

Hello

No. I wouldn't want to provide all this information as it opens you up for attacks and trolling, but providing these infos could give a false sense of security any way. They can still scam you or use fake documents so it doesn't stop them from scamming.
kevin08

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 03:52:41 PM

Hello

No. I wouldn't want to provide all this information as it opens you up for attacks and trolling, but providing these infos could give a false sense of security any way. They can still scam you or use fake documents so it doesn't stop them from scamming.

coinssource.com offers a dev identity verification service where they check a dev's ID and vouch for him. However a dev for equinox coin got verified by them, then pulled off a scam, and coinssource.com then said he had given them fake ID. The identity verification only gave a false sense of security.
okae
Legendary

Activity: 1401
Merit: 1008

northern exposure

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2015, 05:42:32 PM

Hello

to tell you the truth i dont care about who is the dev, for me the important things is teh product and not who manage it, if the product is fair for all, good enought and well managed, why should i care?

the problem here is that there is lot of scammers who use it to scam ppl, i mean the annonimity, you know, created new alt coin and after some period of time just abandon it.

IMHO #1.b of suspects, Hal Finney is/was S.N.
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 07:02:26 PM

Yes and NO.

and guy saying Bitcoin is crumbling right now because of Satoshi having a private identity earlier on this topic ?
what ? LOL
uhhhmm ok then buddy ahhah

either way is good and bad I think.

a persons identity *can help the credibility I suppose but there is many loop holes in that concept.
so just saying YES.. is dumb.

for one thing putting your face out there can lead you to be a massive target which is why most guys think Satoshi kept his head down.

second of all I can list off so called credible guys all day long who have pulled stunt after stunt in our Altcoin scene.
even if we know their names they can still do what ever they want and the go to move is to cry "hacked" cough cough Baritus (or any popular exchange)

FUD first & ask questions later™
JackRipper

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 22, 2015, 08:34:08 PM

It is not necessary to have full DOX, or even the name of a developer. As a matter of fact, it may even cause a felt sense of security. It is important, however, to be familiar with the developer. If the developer is a BTC forum member with a good reputation, it is a big plus. However, if the developer is a newbie, that should raise a red flag.  Please note that a red flag does not necessarily mean a scam or a bad coin. It just means that it is something to take note of.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: