Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:41:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: OPEN LETTER to Donald, Patrick & Amir RE: Bitcoinica  (Read 26973 times)
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 11:10:27 PM

Seriously? One name that's something in bitcoin, say it. Who's there?

Give out free soup in London these days, get 3k people lined up all the way to the next intersection.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lonelyminer (Peter Šurda)
Donator

Activity: 544
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 11:16:48 PM

Even if you disregard Nefario (GLBSE) and Intersango (libbitcoin), there's Tony Gallippi from BitPay, the guy from Butterfly Labs, Stefan Thomas (bitcoin-js), Pieter Wuille (core dev team), Jan Moller (BitcoinSpinner), Jim Burton (MultiBit), Vladimir (Bitcoin Magazine), Juraj Bednar (he's been promoting Bitcoin in Slovakia), the guys from Bitcoin Austria, and tons of people I didn't have time to meet or whose names I forgot.
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2012, 11:22:52 PM

Even if you disregard Nefario (GLBSE) and Intersango (libbitcoin), there's Tony Gallippi from BitPay, the guy from Butterfly Labs, Stefan Thomas (bitcoin-js), Pieter Wuille (core dev team), Jan Moller (BitcoinSpinner), Jim Burton (MultiBit), Vladimir (Bitcoin Magazine), Juraj Bednar (he's been promoting Bitcoin in Slovakia), the guys from Bitcoin Austria, and tons of people I didn't have time to meet or whose names I forgot.

I've found the best method to keep track is to get their business card.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
Donator

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 11:35:55 PM

I tend to lose business cards. So now I opted for taking pictures of business cards on my phone Smiley
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2012, 11:40:54 PM

I tend to lose business cards. So now I opted for taking pictures of business cards on my phone Smiley

For a while I was trying to do the v-card bluetooth thing, but it never works.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 11:59:37 PM

Of the core dev team there's myself and Pieter (sipa), and I think Nils (tcatm) is coming too.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2012, 12:28:04 AM

Of the core dev team there's myself and Pieter (sipa), and I think Nils (tcatm) is coming too.
What ? are you seriously responding to MPOE-PR saying there wont be anybody at the conference ?

Hint : IT WAS A JOKE !
thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 01:40:58 AM

I am kind of finding this fiasco hard to believe.  Although, I have only had a few conversations with Amir over the internet, he has been really nice and patient with me during the previous process.  I have never spoken to Prince Patrick, though.

What would be the downfall of signing this document from their POV?  The sooner this shit gets done, the sooner the community can move forward.  Unless I am missing something, I don't even know why these guys would want to be in public around other bitcoin people while all this shit is still up in the air.  It is fucking embarrassing and starting to get just a tad bit ridiculous.  I would have a seriously hard time looking people in the eye when speaking and meandering around the conference.

Please, just sign this thing and let's turn the page.

IANAL but I'm guessing that the only document they'd sign is something along the lines of "I do not acknowledge a successful transfer of control of Bitcoinica to myself, so I have no authority to release it into liquidation.  But I will state that I will not contest any liquidation process that does occur"...

In other words, by signing that document as written it looks to me like they would tacitly acknowledge responsibility for Bitcoinica at the time when the hacks occurred...

repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 02:00:57 AM
Last edit: September 15, 2012, 02:46:38 AM by repentance

IANAL but I'm guessing that the only document they'd sign is something along the lines of "I do not acknowledge a successful transfer of control of Bitcoinica to myself, so I have no authority to release it into liquidation.  But I will state that I will not contest any liquidation process that does occur"...

In other words, by signing that document as written it looks to me like they would tacitly acknowledge responsibility for Bitcoinica at the time when the hacks occurred...

The document is not requiring them to sign on behalf of Bitcoinica Consultancy Ltd (the general partner of Bitcoinica LP) but as individuals.  As individuals, they have a combined interest of 25% in Bitcoinica LP (which they were given in exchange for Wendon being issued shares in Intersango).  

Whether or not they try to stall the liquidation is not going to affect whether they are found personally liable for the failure of Bitcoinica and/or whether they are sued as Bitcoinica Consultancy Ltd and individually in other actions which are either in progress or anticipated.  It will, however, make the liquidation a more expensive process and result in smaller returns to users.

I think everyone involved with Bitcoinica made some appalling decisions, including Tihan, but the immediate focus needs to remain on the most efficient way of returning the funds on hand to Bitcoinica users.  The bitch-fight about who should have done what and when is for another venue.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2012, 03:16:36 AM

For a while I was trying to do the v-card bluetooth thing, but it never works.

Thanks for keeping us up to date on the London conference. Too bad it's overshadowed by recent events. Would somebody be so kind as to PM me the thread dedicated to the conference?

Also, it looks like my questions and concerns addressed on this thread were kindly responded to. Thanks, all, who've reply. And thanks again, Tihan.

~Bruno~
Donator

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 06:51:59 AM

IANAL but I'm guessing that the only document they'd sign is something along the lines of "I do not acknowledge a successful transfer of control of Bitcoinica to myself, so I have no authority to release it into liquidation.  But I will state that I will not contest any liquidation process that does occur"...
This is what I asked Donald. He declined.
labestiol

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 07:55:25 AM

This is what I asked Donald. He declined.

Could you ask them what is their plan to help creditors get their money back ?
It looks like their strategy is to bury their head in the sand, and hope for the best...

1BestioLC7YBVh8Q5LfH6RYURD6MrpP8y6
Donator

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 09:16:30 AM

It looks like their strategy is to bury their head in the sand, and hope for the best...
They probably won't do anything unless it goes to court.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 12:40:20 PM

They probably won't do anything unless it goes to court.

Because maybe that way they'll get lucky and get to keep everyone else's money.  I wish you all the best in perpetrating one of the biggest thefts in bitcoin history.  Good luck!   Cheesy

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2012, 04:02:55 PM

To me the biggest problem (among others) was their poor communication and later complete blackout.  Not solving the problem is one awful thing but refusing to communicate with customers is similar to running away with the money,,, That they are still hanging around bitcoiners is mind boggling.
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2012, 04:57:50 PM

Donald, Amir, and Patrick need to sign this ASAP.

Once they do, it gives Tihan legal right to take action and get things moving forward.

There are still funds the accounts, and I believe much of the legal work is being done pro bono, or paid for personally by a few parties involved.  

Oh, I've met Tihan along with Gavin and many others here many times. He lives in Seattle and has deep roots within his community.

-Charlie

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
ninjarobot

Activity: 761

Mine Silent, Mine Deep

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 05:05:34 PM

+1

Donald, Amir, Patrick, Please don't bankroll your internal feud with the captive funds of Bitcoinica customers.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 05:10:34 PM

+1

Donald, Amir, Patrick, Please don't bankroll your internal feud with the captive funds of Bitcoinica customers.

In the meantime, let's support them at the conference!  Yay!  Maybe next year pirate can organize the bitcoin conference, or maybe both parties should.  After all, what these guys have in common is that they operated the most successful bitcoin business model to date (the run-off-with-the-money model).

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 09:13:01 PM

so they did sign the thing or not ?

They almost certainly won't.  Fortunately, Tihan is prepared to seek a High Court order to put Bitcoinica LP into liquidation which means that general creditors won't have to.  It will slow the process down, but it won't stop it and liquidators tend to be more aggressive towards non-cooperating principals than they are towards those who actively assist them.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 10:26:20 PM

You should probably fly to London and place it in their hands in front of an audience.

So has anyone done this yet or what?
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: