Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:18:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: OPEN LETTER to Donald, Patrick & Amir RE: Bitcoinica  (Read 26973 times)
ninjarobot

Activity: 761
Merit: 500

Mine Silent, Mine Deep

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 07:11:17 AM
Last edit: September 16, 2012, 01:18:32 PM by ninjarobot

It has been over 4 months since the SHTF and this has been 'worst case scenario' at every turn. I can honestly say that in the 35 years of my life I have never experienced such a royal mess as this.

Personally I have 23440 USD in my Bitcoinica account (as well as approx 2K BTC). Have received 0 back so far. Even though no USD has ever been stolen from Bitcoinica (The 40K USD has been returned by Chen) and my claim has been confirmed accurate 3 times. It is aggravating to see the Intersango guys not cooperating and forcing liquidation through high-court instead of voluntary.

They don't seem to care because it is not their money on the line. But the way I see it is they are taking money that could have been returned to creditors and handing it over to lawyers instead who charge 200 USD per hour. To me this is practically the same as stealing. Get your act together guys!

I asked Donald to sign the letter over IM. Instead, he accused me of having 'mental problems' and that he would not sign anything from a sociopath and proven liar because 'this shit runs way deeper' but he does not want to fight the 'FUD' or do anything immoral or illegal. He has now blocked me from contacting him again. If Donald agrees I would be happy to share the full chat logs of my communication with him here so the community can decide who has mental problems themselves.

It is good to see Patrick is at least supporting voluntary liquidation, however he should have gotten legal advice months ago. Amir better make up his mind and stop hiding behind the others. As an idealist/activist with strong opinions on what is wrong and what is right I think his behavior in this case is highly hypocritical. After WWII ended there were also a lot of people that said 'they were just following orders'. Please think for yourself and act accordingly.

That said, I don't hold any personal grudges against any of the Bitcoinica crew. (Except perhaps Zhou if it turns out he robbed his baby after selling it while deceiving the general public because his aim in life is to become a millionaire by the age of 21). In retrospect, clearly none of them should have been running a financial service such as Bitcoinica. Amir has been doing a great job with the Bitcoin conference and I respect him for that. (And looking forward to watching the talks online!)

Please sign the letter. If you don't like it because it comes from Tihan - draft your own and have Tihan sign it. Just don't stick your head in the sand and let those that trusted you suffer. Thank you.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lonelyminer (Peter Šurda)
Donator

Activity: 544

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 09:00:47 AM

They probably won't do anything unless it goes to court.
Because maybe that way they'll get lucky and get to keep everyone else's money.
The confusing thing is that they actually won't. All the money is frozen in a Mt. Gox account (minus the conversion fees and exchange rate fluctuations resulting from the July theft). Mt. Gox said that they will only unfreeze it if the legal situation is clarified. The Intersango trio has no access to the funds. Baffling? You bet!
blakdawg

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 09:17:13 AM

I will be traveling to Auckland in mid-October. If anyone's got suggestions about interesting documents to copy from courts, addresses to check, etc., I'm open to suggestions. A relative of mine is licensed as a NZ attorney (I do not know if NZ maintains the barrister/solicitor distinction) - the relative has a full-time job and is not looking for outside work, so I do not see them getting involved in the Intersango/Bitcoinica fiasco, but I don't anticipate we'll have any trouble finding the courthouse, etc.

repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 09:35:23 AM

I will be traveling to Auckland in mid-October. If anyone's got suggestions about interesting documents to copy from courts, addresses to check, etc., I'm open to suggestions. A relative of mine is licensed as a NZ attorney (I do not know if NZ maintains the barrister/solicitor distinction) - the relative has a full-time job and is not looking for outside work, so I do not see them getting involved in the Intersango/Bitcoinica fiasco, but I don't anticipate we'll have any trouble finding the courthouse, etc.

In Australia and New Zealand, voluntary liquidations are usually conducted without the involvement of the courts - there are statutory bodies which exist to handle them on behalf of the government and the liquidator reports to those bodies.  An application to the NZ High Court is required to place a business in involuntary liquidation, so it would essentially become necessary if the parties are unable to agree on and sign a resolution to appoint a liquidator (creditors can also make such an application, but it seems likely that Wendon will do this).

Courts do become involved if certain circumstances arise during the liquidation but creditors and shareholders would be made aware of these issues through the liquidators reports.

Although creditors are required to lodge their claims within a fairly short time after the business goes into liquidation, the claims are not generally formally processed until the liquidator is in a position to make distributions - so the initial claim form doesn't actually require you to attach evidence of your claim (although you can) but to describe the evidence you have to support your claim.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
disclaimer201
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 09:41:14 AM
Last edit: September 16, 2012, 10:25:47 AM by disclaimer201

It is good to see Patrick is at least supporting voluntarily liquidation, however he should have gotten legal advice months ago.

This.

Patrick, I believe you nothing. All this going on and you still haven't sought legal advice? Are you kidding me? How stupid do you think we are? Not a single word out of your mouth is trustworthy.

Edit: Dear liquidator, I have always said I will fully co-operate! (except I actually won't) Just sickening how much smarter I am than everyone else.
MemoryDealers
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2012, 10:52:34 AM

I have repeatedly expressed to all parties that I will absolutely cooperate fully with a receiver or a liquidator.

It is genuinely my hope that everybody who is genuinely owed funds will receive as much as possible.

Until I have received competent legal advice on the matter I will not be signing anything presented by Tihan Seale.

Edit: Advice I am actively seeking.

PATRICK,

YOU ARE A LIAR! [/allcaps]

You lied to my face in San Francisco last month,  and now you are lying on the forums.
Stop lying, and help to return the money to the people it belongs to.

Sign the document!

muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 11:44:27 AM

I think they made it clear enough they won't sign.Take it to court already, chaps.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2012, 07:00:28 PM

I think they made it clear enough they won't sign.Take it to court already, chaps.

This pretty much, really this is probably going to be the first major bitcoin case to get proven in court, depending on how long it takes to get started, if at all. I would be looking forward to hearing a judges interpretation on what bitcoin is.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
repentance

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 08:31:49 PM
Last edit: September 16, 2012, 09:14:15 PM by repentance

This pretty much, really this is probably going to be the first major bitcoin case to get proven in court, depending on how long it takes to get started, if at all. I would be looking forward to hearing a judges interpretation on what bitcoin is.

I don't think you understand.  All the court will be asked to do is direct that the company be put in liquidation, giving the liquidator the legal authority to take control of Bitcoinica's records and assets. 

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 08:42:13 PM

I asked Donald to sign the letter over IM. Instead, he accused me of having 'mental problems' and that he would not sign anything from a sociopath and proven liar because 'this shit runs way deeper' but he does not want to fight the 'FUD' or do anything immoral or illegal. He has now blocked me from contacting him again. If Donald agrees I would be happy to share the full chat logs of my communication with him here so the community can decide who has mental problems themselves.

Wow. I think people here would be quite interested in reading a logfile of said conversation.

Are you legally prohibited from posting it? If so, could you tor into pastebin and upload it there for ...ahem... plausible deniability?

To me it seems only right and proper after Amir leaked the entire source code, + multiple legal documents,
thereby directly (or indirectly) causing the latest theft and halting payouts.
dopamine

Activity: 486

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 09:39:17 PM

if it goes to court what is the possibilities of all three of them having to pay more due to negligence and punitive damages.

Bitcoinica still has not given me 50% of my claim of 600 BTC
INTERSANGO can go down with bitcoinica for abandoning customers
Alberto Armandi is a SCAMMER
DarkEmi

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 10:14:38 PM

Hello all,

I was at the conference on saturday and it was a really nice event (even though a bit on the utopist / political leftside).

Met quite a lot of very interesting & bright people

I had extensive discussion with Amir & Patrick at the bar where the 8 bit event or whatever was happening, and as I dont really like to disclose "private" conversation I wont say anything here about this.
If anyone wants to talk to me about that I am on skype (search emilien dutang)

To the personn that presented the liquidation paper (I did not see that) I initially intended to distribute public relations tracts with info on the bitcoinica mess at the conference then did not felt like it as I did not want to be a "party crasher" and as Amir & Patrick willingly did extended discussion talk with me about the issues at hand.

I dont want to disclose stuff here as I still need to make up my mind.
I still think I can safelly say that Amir will follow whatever Patrick will do / decide.

Regards,

Emilien

ProProfi.com
The first home improvement service cryptocurrency project
ICO | Discuss on Forum
repentance

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 10:23:25 PM
Last edit: September 16, 2012, 10:41:53 PM by repentance

if it goes to court what is the possibilities of all three of them having to pay more due to negligence and punitive damages.

"Going to court" in this instance simply means that the court will direct that the company be put into liquidation.  This isn't a lawsuit.  A liquidator can find that the principals were negligent in their actions and have personal liability in respect of the company's failure, but liquidators cannot commence legal actions unless there is substantial reason to believe that doing so will result in further funds becoming available for distribution to creditors after the costs of any such actions have been accounted for.  No liquidator is likely to commence a cross-border legal action against someone who has no substantial assets.

Even if this was a lawsuit, awards of exemplary damages are rare in Commonwealth countries.  The highest award of exemplary damages I've been able to locate in New Zealand was NZD 85,000.  Likewise, costs awards are typically only for about 60-70% of actual costs incurred.

Other people can use the liquidator's findings to support lawsuits in other jurisdictions, though, and that will almost certainly happen.  For a number of reasons, those lawsuits are going to be complex and costly if actually fought so I wouldn't expect any to go to trial.  

In semi-related news, Zhou incorporated NameTerrific on 24 August. 

proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 12:08:38 AM

So, now that the Bitcoinica/Bitcoinica Consultancy/Bitcoin Consultancy guys are done with the conference...remember how they mismanaged like hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of bitcoins and, er, dollars and still, as far as anyone knows, have yet to give the vast majority of everyone's wealth back?

Or, with the passage of so much time and the hosting of such a groovy conference, are all those guys, like, cool with everyone now?

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
flower1024
Legendary

Activity: 1428

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 05:59:32 AM

So, now that the Bitcoinica/Bitcoinica Consultancy/Bitcoin Consultancy guys are done with the conference...remember how they mismanaged like hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of bitcoins and, er, dollars and still, as far as anyone knows, have yet to give the vast majority of everyone's wealth back?

Or, with the passage of so much time and the hosting of such a groovy conference, are all those guys, like, cool with everyone now?

i am not cool with them

at this point i just hate phantomcircuit for doing NOTHING for their(!) customers.
disclaimer201
Legendary

Activity: 1526

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 07:46:57 AM

Everyone involved hates them with a passion I'm sure, but life must go on. I don't understand why not more people try to warn their intersango customers of their business practices though.

All in all, I don't think these suckers, Zhou and the conference supporters realize that letting this one pass sustainibly hurts the bitcoin community. In regard of Asic pre-orders some even claim there is no such a thing as a community anyway if rich fuckers get to pre-order 30-300 units and are given absolute priority.

The heists and hacks, the switch to custom hardware that can't be sold again for non-bitcoin related products (taking away hedging against total SHTF scenario) have convinced me that I will probably not jump on the ASIC bandwaggon and leave Bitcoin altogether. For good. I lost quite a bit of money at Bitcoinica, I don't see how people could have trusted Pirate other than being led by greed. To sum it up, it's a greedy, untrustworthy community full of thieves who are either unwilling or unable to secure their shit. Someone should write a white paper about that.

Personally, I will try my luck with litecoins now even if it may not better but at least I don't have to send money to anyone months ahead before receiving a product that may or may not be a good mining machine when it gets finally delivered. It is interesting to see how much some Bitcoiners detest litecoins (esp. at the conference as far as I read). All the more reason to support it now. Best side effect: Bitcoin difficulty can go up to hell and back. New people, new chances - ltc is in nothing inferior to btc technically and perhaps it represents some of the ideals of decentrality much better. I already know there won't be the same narcicistic assholes there as there are in the Bitcoin crowd that made me lose a lot of money.
flower1024
Legendary

Activity: 1428

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 07:51:13 AM

Everyone involved hates them with a passion I'm sure, but life must go on. I don't understand why not more people try to warn their intersango customers of their business practices though.

i did Wink but i dont like to repeat myself

All in all, I don't think these suckers, Zhou and the conference supporters realize that letting this one pass sustainibly hurts the bitcoin community. In regard of Asic pre-orders some even claim there is no such a thing as a community anyway if rich fuckers get to pre-order 30-300 units and are given absolute priority.

+1

The heists and hacks, the switch to custom hardware that can't be sold again for non-bitcoin related products (taking away hedging against total SHTF scenario) have convinced me that I will probably not jump on the ASIC bandwaggon and leave Bitcoin altogether. For good. I lost quite a bit of money at Bitcoinica, I don't see how people could have trusted Pirate other than being led by greed. To sum it up, it's a greedy, untrustworthy community full of thieves who are either unwilling or unable to secure their shit. Someone should write a white paper about that.

i see a difference their.
intersango still claims they are honest.
they just refuse to communicate and to take care of their customers.

i'll jump on the asic wagon Wink
for me bitcoins are still fun

Personally, I will try my luck with litecoins now even if it may not better but at least I don't have to send money to anyone months ahead before receiving a product that may or may not be a good mining machine when it gets finally delivered. It is interesting to see how much some Bitcoiners detest litecoins (esp. at the conference as far as I read). All the more reason to support it now. Best side effect: Bitcoin difficulty can go up to hell and back. New people, new chances - ltc is in nothing inferior to btc technically and perhaps it represents some of the ideals of decentrality much better. I already know there won't be the same narcicistic assholes there as there are in the Bitcoin crowd that made me lose a lot of money.

litecoins will not help to avoid scams.

but as i said: there is a difference between a scammer who runs and intersango who still runs a businness.
naima53

Activity: 616
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 02:13:58 PM

+1
 Really, what if it (the chips) is also cheating? I do not want to repeat my mistake. Here no man Entrust. I opened a fund for co-financing of the Russian-speaking users (in my signature), but I have to warn of a possible fraud.
 It harms the image of the project, but it is inevitable. Of course, I'm not ready to buy LTC, but I'll do it if it will be as popular now BTC.
 And,fuck, where my money?

Donate me) 16f6iWHHkVEnDReeBQPT9GwCNwUfPTXrp2
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 02:21:48 PM

but as i said: there is a difference between a scammer who runs and intersango who still runs a businness.

This is what I find so disgusting about the Intersango/Bitcoinica Consultancy crew.  They effectively said, "Yeah, we lost a lot of your money, we have a bunch of it still but getting it back to you is turning out to be really hard and it's giving us a headache, so we're just going to go over here and do something else.  We cool?".

They damn well better be disallowed from becoming members of the Bitcoin Foundation.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
HorseRider
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 02:32:29 PM

Is Intersango guy are trying to eat our money and refuse to pay back us?

16SvwJtQET7mkHZFFbJpgPaDA1Pxtmbm5P
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: