Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 08:41:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PayPal set to suspend domestic transactions in Argentina  (Read 4699 times)
thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 01:11:02 PM

Obligatory localbitcoins link: https://localbitcoins.com/country/AR

Nearest seller is 70 km away -mhh, I could become one myself Smiley Still not nearly user-friendly enough for the casual user, though.

You should!  The only way for a currency to become popular is for people to start advertising that they will accept or trade it.  If using the exchanges is complicated in Argentina then its doubly important.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
majamalu
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2012, 01:28:22 PM

the dollar is king in Argentina. And after the dollar, other fiat currencies or precious metals. Bitcoins are nowhere in their psyche.

Remember: buying dollars or gold is now banned in Argentina.

http://elbitcoin.org - Bitcoin en español
http://mercadobitcoin.com - MercadoBitcoin
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 01:36:51 PM

the dollar is king in Argentina. And after the dollar, other fiat currencies or precious metals. Bitcoins are nowhere in their psyche.

But as you know very well, this doesn't stop it.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
majamalu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2012, 01:50:21 PM

But predisposes people to consider alternatives.

Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 01:52:37 PM

Not necessarily, but a strong distaste for the US might  Cheesy
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 02:00:09 PM

What can be bought in Argentina is UKash
The guy from UKash is giving a talk at this weekend's London Bitcoin Conference about how to use UKash with Bitcoin. So they are keen, and I'd say this is a fantastic way forward.

I would love to hear this talk.  Does anyone know if it is being recorded?
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 02:04:10 PM

It's great opportunity, but I don't have much hope for breakthrough. We already celebrated Italy's move to restrict cash transactions to 300 euro or so, but according to my (limited) knowledge nothing came out of it, and I pretty much expect the same in Argentina's case.

Actually Italy limited cash to 50 Euros recently. But I too don't see much good coming for bitcoins -no one is really going to bother with learning something so different from what they use to know, unless there is a really user friendly way to approach it -and a very compelling reason to bother, such as imminent default or dramatic exchange rate drop.

Nearest seller is 70 km away -mhh, I could become one myself Smiley Still not nearly user-friendly enough for the casual user, though.

50 Euros? I think it's 1000Euros.

more or less retired.
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 02:20:23 PM

Not necessarily, but a strong distaste for the US might  Cheesy

Actually they only increase demand every time they restrict it, they can lower actual trade but not demand. Quite naturally, too.

forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
JMAHH

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 03:08:32 PM

It's great opportunity, but I don't have much hope for breakthrough. We already celebrated Italy's move to restrict cash transactions to 300 euro or so, but according to my (limited) knowledge nothing came out of it, and I pretty much expect the same in Argentina's case.

Actually Italy limited cash to 50 Euros recently. But I too don't see much good coming for bitcoins -no one is really going to bother with learning something so different from what they use to know, unless there is a really user friendly way to approach it -and a very compelling reason to bother, such as imminent default or dramatic exchange rate drop.

50 Euros? I think it's 1000Euros.

There's a thread about it. Last time I checked it was actually 50, but it seems improbable practically.
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 03:20:21 PM

They have a very long history of currency instability, but they'd much rather go for something that they know, that they can use easily and that's not as volatile at bitcoin: the dollar is king in Argentina. And after the dollar, other fiat currencies or precious metals. Bitcoins are nowhere in their psyche.

Yeah, true. But bitcoin is still there, and although not very understable, its properties are superior to any other alternative such as gold or dollars. In the long run people will see this. Meanwhile the early adopters will start to use it and benefit.

JMAHH

Activity: 280

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 03:29:38 PM

They have a very long history of currency instability, but they'd much rather go for something that they know, that they can use easily and that's not as volatile at bitcoin: the dollar is king in Argentina. And after the dollar, other fiat currencies or precious metals. Bitcoins are nowhere in their psyche.

Yeah, true. But bitcoin is still there, and although not very understable, its properties are superior to any other alternative such as gold or dollars. In the long run people will see this. Meanwhile the early adopters will start to use it and benefit.

There is a lot of talk about bringing Bitcoin to new users. Especially user-friendliness is of importance. I think there is quite some money to be made by investing in a more user-friendly approach to Bitcoin.

Why haven't we seen, for example, a wallet client with built-in buy/sell bitcoin function? As in, Mt.Gox in your wallet. I am a 100% sure this would greatly facilitate life for new adopters.
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 03:35:14 PM

Why haven't we seen, for example, a wallet client with built-in buy/sell bitcoin function? As in, Mt.Gox in your wallet. I am a 100% sure this would greatly facilitate life for new adopters.

Actually there has been MtGox Android client for at least half an year or so, maybe even longer. It is pretty crappy, but still Cheesy (always crashed when I tried it, nowadays I don't use mtgox any more).

muyuu
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 03:38:37 PM

This is pretty critical, if something goes wrong the wallet is responsible for your loss. Also, you still need to set up your personal data and bank account to transfer to MtGox or whatever exchange it is.

Showing the current exchange rates should be easy enough though. That and a couple links to exchanges and sites like bitcoincharts. The wallet could come with some introduction and a few pointers.

Exchange clients and wallets are very distinct things.

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 04:04:33 PM

here is a new service. 
https://qikcoin.com/verify

requires a verified account and a mobile phone.

it is still in beta so there are only nominal amounts available
but it is fully functional and secure.
Blind (OP)

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 04:31:06 PM

Actually, if Bitcoin gained any momentum there, it is likely that their government would try to block it

How?
Blocking bitcoin traffic maybe?
If your answer is encrypted tunneling then they can block that.
If your answer is use Tor then they can block access to Tor.
In any case, they have enough points of attack to cripple general bitcoin use.

At very least with minimal effort they could forbid cash transactions between banks and known Bitcoin exchanges and vendors. This is quite effective, won't stop everybody but it will work for majority of people.

Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem. -- Ronald Reagan
Blind (OP)

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 04:34:43 PM

F#$% I hate paypal.

Good attitude, but in this case hate corrupt Argentinian government. You can say many things about Paypal but not that they work towards reducing their user base (not consciously at least, lol).

Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem. -- Ronald Reagan
bitcoinbear

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 04:38:37 PM

according to google, argentina has a GDP of $445 billion.. 4000x more than all bitcoins Smiley

You are comparing apples and oranges here. The GDP is not an equivalent measurement to the number of a currency.

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
capsqrl

Activity: 444

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 07:28:29 PM

They can also recognise encrypted traffic and filter that.

Encrypted traffic like the SSL people use to access their banks? This doesn't work.

TOR servers are known and can be blocked on IP basis.
Far from all Tor relays are knows. Many are being kept secret and shared with people who need them. These relays are called bridges.

Norsk Bitcoin-bruker? Kom til /r/BitcoinNO på reddit!
Etlase2

Activity: 798

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 09:46:02 PM

Encrypted traffic like the SSL people use to access their banks? This doesn't work.

It does, actually, because encrypting the traffic does not hide the obvious patterns of that traffic. Encrypted bitcoin traffic will look much different from encrypted SSL bank traffic, and it will be pretty obvious until people start focusing their efforts on steganography and/or protocol obfuscation. Not simple tasks, and not efficient uses of bandwidth either.

majamalu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2012, 12:32:28 AM

Actually, if Bitcoin gained any momentum there, it is likely that their government would try to block it

How?
Blocking bitcoin traffic maybe?
If your answer is encrypted tunneling then they can block that.
If your answer is use Tor then they can block access to Tor.
In any case, they have enough points of attack to cripple general bitcoin use.

To those saying that bitcoin can be easily blocked: Shouldn't it be easier to stop bittorrent than bitcoin?

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: