Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:43:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: what actual legal obligation does mtgox have to non-japanese governments?  (Read 1456 times)
paulie_w (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 03:58:56 PM

mtgox limits the withdrawal amounts. is it because of banking laws around the world? the limit seems to be based on where you are.

why is this?

and what/whose laws does mtgox actually have an obligation to follow?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 04:54:53 PM

mtgox limits the withdrawal amounts. is it because of banking laws around the world? the limit seems to be based on where you are.

why is this?
Because MtGox said so. Don't like it? Go to their competition, vote with your wallet.

and what/whose laws does mtgox actually have an obligation to follow?

AFAIK no obligations yet since bitcoins aren't regulated as for the fiat currency side I assume it's the standard MSB regulations in Japan or maybe not even that.

Regardless it's not like you are forced to use them.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
paulie_w (OP)

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 06:34:06 PM

vote with wallet is fine, i agree.

but i would like an answer.

your response seems almost aggressive. :-)
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 06:35:03 PM

It's for security.

Also the United States controls Japan, Japan will obey any order from the US government.  So mtgox basically can be considered to be operating in the US.

But bitcoin currently is so tiny, and so far from the radar of either government, they don't really care what mtgox is doing.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
paulie_w (OP)

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 06:39:17 PM

if it is for security, then why does the withdrawal amount vary from country to country?

please, i am not trying to be aggressive in these questions, i am just legitimately curious.
kokojie
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 06:44:50 PM

if it is for security, then why does the withdrawal amount vary from country to country?

please, i am not trying to be aggressive in these questions, i am just legitimately curious.

Well I guess each country has a different risk profile, also it not only vary by country, each user can also be different, for example a new user vs trusted user vs verified user.

rini17

Activity: 340

GO http://bitcointa.lk !!! My new nick: jurov

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2012, 07:44:51 PM

This leads me to wild speculation - maybe the Senkaku row between China and Japan is only a decoy and the secret real goal of Chinese government is to invade Japan or blackmail it to get control over MtGox?
It's for security.

Also the United States controls Japan, Japan will obey any order from the US government.  So mtgox basically can be considered to be operating in the US.

But bitcoin currently is so tiny, and so far from the radar of either government, they don't really care what mtgox is doing.

CoinBr.com: First online MPEx brokerage launched beta! Easy to use interface and reasonable fees. Charts for MPEx stocks: live.coinbr.com * My Blog *
kokojie
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 07:52:06 PM

This leads me to wild speculation - maybe the Senkaku row between China and Japan is only a decoy and the secret real goal of Chinese government is to invade Japan or blackmail it to get control over MtGox?
It's for security.

Nope, just the US using its puppet Japan to weaken the rising threat of China. Otherwise in 10 years, China will surpass US's GDP.

repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 08:35:28 PM

FATF is the largest international organisation set up to deal with money laundering and the financing of terrorism.  Japan is a member nation and all member nations are working towards implementing the FATF 40+9 recommendations, so there's a lot of standardisation between member countries.  There are also regional organisations dealing with the same issues and many national financial intelligence services have binding agreements to share information with the financial intelligence services of other countries.  So any nation with which Japan has an information sharing agreement can obtain information from MtGox through Japan's financial intelligence service. 

Financial intelligence services generally have sweeping powers to require information without a court order and there are generally significant penalties for not complying with requests for information.

FATF does maintain a risk profile list for countries and financial services are expected to apply enhanced AML/CTF measures in respect of transactions involving those nations.

http://knowyourcountry.com/fatflist220612.html

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
paulie_w (OP)

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 11:24:21 PM

FATF is the largest international organisation set up to deal with money laundering and the financing of terrorism.  Japan is a member nation and all member nations are working towards implementing the FATF 40+9 recommendations, so there's a lot of standardisation between member countries.  There are also regional organisations dealing with the same issues and many national financial intelligence services have binding agreements to share information with the financial intelligence services of other countries.  So any nation with which Japan has an information sharing agreement can obtain information from MtGox through Japan's financial intelligence service. 

Financial intelligence services generally have sweeping powers to require information without a court order and there are generally significant penalties for not complying with requests for information.

FATF does maintain a risk profile list for countries and financial services are expected to apply enhanced AML/CTF measures in respect of transactions involving those nations.

http://knowyourcountry.com/fatflist220612.html

ok, finally the real answer!
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 11:35:48 PM

ok, finally the real answer!

It can be a bit more complicated than that.  The US has a habit of putting things into trade agreements to bypass the need for other nations to pass unpopular legislation in relation to certain issues (they've done this with copyright and patents stuff in the past, effectively trying to get US laws extended to other countries).  It's possible that some free trade agreements also have clauses which bind other nations to provide financial information directly to US government departments like the IRS, for instance (many national taxation authorities have reciprocal agreements with their overseas counterparts anyway).

On the other hand, the sheer number of mandatory reports made to financial intelligence services/regulators means that only a fraction can ever be fully investigated.  A lot of information gathered just sits around until something specific triggers further investigation. 

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
paulie_w (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 07:30:01 PM

that's awful. well, the sooner we obsolete these kinds of restrictions, the better.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: