Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 11:02:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Los Angeles police shoot unarmed man in head; and then handcuff him!  (Read 1748 times)
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
June 22, 2015, 01:42:08 PM

The USA has become one of the most wretched police states in the history of the world. Can't imagine how scary it must be to live their seeing their police force maim and kill innocents indiscriminately.

Honestly, when you turn off the news, it's not so bad. If I hadn't watched any news in the past two decades, the only noticeable differences in daily life would probably be whittled down to some inflated gas and food prices, tightened airport security, better technology, and a lot of silly music and clothing outfits.  9/11 what?
panju1
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 22, 2015, 04:25:36 PM

The USA has become one of the most wretched police states in the history of the world. Can't imagine how scary it must be to live their seeing their police force maim and kill innocents indiscriminately.

Honestly, when you turn off the news, it's not so bad. If I hadn't watched any news in the past two decades, the only noticeable differences in daily life would probably be whittled down to some inflated gas and food prices, tightened airport security, better technology, and a lot of silly music and clothing outfits.  9/11 what?

Ignorance is bliss?  Smiley
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
June 22, 2015, 04:32:16 PM

I think that's a fine approach to have. What possible good does it do to allow yourself to be bombarded with misery and manipulation that you're helpless to do anything about? although does pay to do a little investigation if you're off somewhere potentially volatile.

One of my bugbears with internet usage is how hard it is to avoid pointless news. As I've gotten older you realise time is very definitely finite. Every piece of shit slice of celeb news or being hocked some angle I don't give a fuck about is taking time away from me that I could be spending on more important things.
Muhammed Zakir (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2015, 05:27:19 PM

LAPD identifies officer who shot unarmed man in Los Feliz

A piece of tape and ruler flank a bullet hole through a garage door in Los Feliz, where an unarmed man was shot by police Friday.

A week after Los Angeles police shot and critically wounded an unarmed man whose hands were covered with a cloth, department officials on Friday identified the officer who pulled the trigger.

The LAPD identified Cairo Palacios as the officer who shot Walter William DeLeon, 48, along Los Feliz Boulevard. Police said DeLeon walked "aggressively" toward two officers and pointed his hands at them, leading them to believe he had a gun hidden under the gray cloth.

DeLeon remained in critical condition on Friday.

Palacios previously worked as a sworn public safety officer with the city's General Services Department, which patrolled parks, libraries and other city-owned properties. That department merged with the LAPD in 2013, part of then-Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa's effort to boost police staffing to the 10,000-officer mark.

Palacios began working with the General Services Department after he graduated from the Los Angeles Police Academy in 2006, the LAPD said. He was assigned to patrol Griffith Park as part of the LAPD's Security Services Division, but was removed from the field after Friday's shooting.

An attorney representing Palacios said his client thought DeLeon had a gun and was going to shoot the officers, saying there were no indications DeLeon was trying to get their help. Attorney Gary Fullerton acknowledged it can be difficult for the public to grapple with police shootings of unarmed people, but said officers have the right to protect their own lives.

"The officer, when he went up to handcuff the man, was shocked to find just the cloth there and nothing under the cloth," Fullerton said. "It's unfortunate, but you can't expect officers to be clairvoyant and wait until they get shot at to actually know what this person is doing or thinking."

Fullerton said he believed "100%" that Palacios followed LAPD policy in the shooting. But, he added, the officers "were obviously traumatized by what happened because nobody likes shooting what ends up being an unarmed man."

DeLeon's son told The Times he was shocked to learn his father was shot by police. William DeLeon, 18, said his father often walked with a towel to wipe away sweat.

Kevin Boyle, an attorney who is representing DeLeon's children, said his firm would "leave no stone unturned" in its own investigation of the shooting.

"From everything I have seen, this is a wonderful family and I would be absolutely shocked to learn that he was approaching police in some sort of an aggressive way," he said. "Maybe he was feeling ill. He may have been reporting a crime. It's just unknown at this time."

The investigation into the June 19 shooting is ongoing. LAPD officials have said Palacios and his partner were stuck in traffic along Los Feliz Boulevard when they saw DeLeon walking toward the road, with his arms extended and his hands covered by the cloth.

“DeLeon began pointing his arms toward the officers and continued walking toward them in an aggressive manner,” an LAPD statement said. “Based on DeLeon's actions, the officers believed he was pointing a gun toward them.”

The officers got out of their car and ordered DeLeon to drop what they thought was a weapon hidden under the cloth, police said. He didn't comply and kept walking toward them, the LAPD said, prompting Palacios to open fire.

No gun was found.

It remains unclear why DeLeon approached the officers. The LAPD has said no broken-down car was found nearby and he had no injury to his hand indicating he needed help.

Police have also said several witnesses have backed the officers' account. Residents who live in the area and who were interviewed by The Times said they saw the aftermath of the shooting, when the officers rolled DeLeon over and handcuffed him.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-lapd-officer-los-feliz-20150626-story.html

the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
June 27, 2015, 06:01:18 PM

In many cases, I think "yes."  I know that I can't directly do much about anything that doesn't happen in my proximal environment.  The closer events happen to my locality, the better I can approximate the effects of my actions if I want to do something about them.  I think it's also important to note that good things are overwhelmed by bad ones in the media, and so by just focusing on things that are happening right around me, I think I can make a bigger impact on the world, and do it with a more positive attitude.
jayce
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1501

Pie Baking Contest: https://tinyurl.com/2s3z6dee

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2015, 04:19:20 PM
Last edit: June 29, 2015, 05:26:58 AM by jayce

Policeman is a someone that want to get a gun, make people afraid to him, and can do what he want with his gun. I don't see, why the officer shot the man head. I think the cops should just immobilize the man with shoot him in the leg maybe. In my opinion, terrorism made the whole country be paranoid and get into madness.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
fitimi

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 06:21:39 PM

Cops prove once again that they are nothing but coward pig shit scum sucking bullies with a badge and a gun. Totally worthless.

██████████    YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange
█████████    <<  ● Trade Over 200 Cryptos  ● Free Coins every 24hrs!  >>
██████████    <<  ● TUTORIAL: How to earn 1 btc a week  >>
Nora12322

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 06:38:09 PM

Suspected of not being a cop. It's a death penalty offense seemingly.
Ermon

Activity: 16

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 06:39:48 PM

He is suspected of being suspicious.
rajaaziz

Activity: 45

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 06:41:28 PM

He is suspected of being suspicious.

The most suspective of offenses!
engwell

Activity: 58

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 06:42:56 PM

The guy was injured and was looking for help.

http://www.latimes.com/local/l.....story.html
blablahblah

Activity: 775
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 07:45:53 PM

So, who's responsible for enacting the low-IQ policy? Do we have their name and address? They have blood on their hands.
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 01:16:45 AM

Shot in the head, for carrying a towel? Then handcuffed? How sick is that. "Standard procedure", why, it is true, stuff like this is happening all the time, so it can be called a "standard procedure" LOL

No doubt, there is a civil war going on in America - but it is very one sided at the moment  Angry

The government henchmen kill civilians everyday but the civilians do not retaliate, with very few exceptions such as this one:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/21/nyregion/two-police-officers-shot-in-their-patrol-car-in-brooklyn.html?_r=0

Police violence will only improve when the cops are afraid of shooting civilians, right now they have nothing to fear.  Sad

Truth is the new hatespeech.
Congtyn

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 10:34:52 AM

Almost 600 Americans shot and killed by police so far this year in America.

Muhammed Zakir (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2015, 12:16:29 PM

-snip-
No doubt, there is a civil war going on in America - but it is very one sided at the moment
 -snip-
Police violence will only improve when the cops are afraid of shooting civilians, right now they have nothing to fear.  Sad

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 12:26:08 PM

Almost 600 Americans shot and killed by police so far this year in America.

The number is definitely going to cross 1,000 this year. Blacks and American Indians are three times as likely to killed by the police, when compared to Whites, and Hispanics. Asian Americans are the group which is least likely to be killed. That said, whites still comprise a majority of the people who are killed by the cops.
Muhammed Zakir (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2015, 12:23:57 PM

US police killings headed for 1,100 this year, with black Americans twice as likely to die

Of the 547 people killed by police according to The Counted, 478 were shot and killed – and more than 20% were unarmed. (All figures in this video are as of 29 June 2015.)

Police in the United States are killing people at a rate that would result in 1,100 fatalities by the end of this year, according to a Guardian investigation, which recorded an average of three people killed per day during the first half of 2015.

The Counted, a project working to report and crowdsource names and a series of other data on every death caused by law enforcement in the US this year, found that 547 people had been killed by the end of June.

In total 478 of those people were shot and killed, while 31 died after being shocked by a Taser, 16 died after being struck by police vehicles, and 19 – including 25-year-old Freddie Gray in Baltimore – have died after altercations in police custody.

When adjusted to accurately reflect the US population, the totals indicate that black people are being killed by police at more than twice the rate of white and Hispanic/Latino people. Black people killed by police were also significantly more likely to have been unarmed.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jul/01/us-police-killings-this-year-black-americans

Killings count: http://www.theguardian.com/thecounted

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: