Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:19:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Local bitcoin economy?  (Read 1330 times)
knight22 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 06:36:45 PM

I'm just wondering if there are some people who actually created some kind of local economy using bitcoin outside of the internet?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TheDom

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 06:53:40 PM

I'm planning on accepting bitcoin at our community acupuncture clinic, but just haven't gotten off my sorry ass to do it yet.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 11:34:27 AM

Jered Kenna's 20Mission is the closest I've heard of.  Not sure how much of an economy it really is, though.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 11:35:51 AM

might be relevant: http://localbitcoins.com

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
joecooin

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2012, 10:31:46 PM

We are developing Bitcoin as, how we call it, 'alternative local currency with global reach' here in Berlin / Kreuzberg.

I will inform about these developments in my talk at the conference this saturday morning (10:30am, 'cheese knives versus secular money'). Come around and contact me there in case you are trying the same somewhere else or are thinking about it so we can share ideas and experiences.

Other than that let us use this thread to get this exchange of experience started.

I have been running a brick and mortar business (ROOM77, bar and restaurant in Berlin) accepting BTC for a year and a half now and that _does_ have an impact on the surrounding environment, individuals as well as businesses.

So see you on the weekend or talk to you here next week!

Joe

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2012, 10:47:01 PM

Apparently such a community forms once a year for a week in New Hampshire http://happyporcupine.info/
Some of the very prominent Bitcoiners from here attend.
knight22 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 03:08:29 PM

We are developing Bitcoin as, how we call it, 'alternative local currency with global reach' here in Berlin / Kreuzberg.

I will inform about these developments in my talk at the conference this saturday morning (10:30am, 'cheese knives versus secular money'). Come around and contact me there in case you are trying the same somewhere else or are thinking about it so we can share ideas and experiences.

Other than that let us use this thread to get this exchange of experience started.

I have been running a brick and mortar business (ROOM77, bar and restaurant in Berlin) accepting BTC for a year and a half now and that _does_ have an impact on the surrounding environment, individuals as well as businesses.

So see you on the weekend or talk to you here next week!

Joe

I'll be glad to hear more about it!

kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 03:21:29 PM

Actually my long-term vision with localbitcoins.com is to make it "trade anything locally with bitcoins" marketplace, not just cash... Smiley

elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 11:41:33 PM

I'm just wondering if there are some people who actually created some kind of local economy using bitcoin outside of the internet?

http://bitcoin.meetup.com/

I've been thinking about the possibility of facilitating the creation of Bitcoin User Groups à la Linux User Groups.

Would be nice to have some standard material, making it easy to spawn BUGS at universities, and in major cities.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: