Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:17:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Installing cgminer 3.7.2 in linux  (Read 4435 times)
SleezyPet (OP)

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 02:30:09 AM
Last edit: February 25, 2014, 01:35:07 PM by SleezyPet

So I've only been mining for about a month but I've acquired 3 extra GPUs and the rest of the parts needed for a full time mining rig in that time frame.  Grin PTS got me into it all but now I'm looking to branch out some, so of course cgminer is a must.

I'm running linux mint 16 and all was going fine with drivers, overclocks, and the clpts miner for PTS. Cgminer seems to be not wanting to go so smoothly.

From everything I have researched you need to extract the tar.gz file and then cd into the extracted directory and run
Code:
./cgminer -n
to make sure it's picking up the GPUs correctly. Only problem is I don't have that file. When I list the directory contents the closest thing to it is cgminer.c.

Edit: I'm willing to bet that all my issues would be solved if I could find out why I don't have the cgminer file in my extracted directory.

So I know it's something obvious I'm missing but it's driving me nuts. I have done the obvious google searching for this exact problem and have yet to come across any solutions or suggestions.

I also followed tried to follow this guide...
https://coinaxis.com/index.php/news/entry/how-to-configure-linux-and-build-cgminer-for-bitcoin-and-litecoin

I installed all the dependencies and I already had the AMD drivers and the SDK installed. When I got to the ADL drivers I ran into an error there as well after typing in only the second command listed (not to mention the ./audogen.sh that's suggested is again nowhere in my directory)...

Code:
$ mkdir ADL
$ mv ADL_SDK_5.0.zip ADL
mv: cannot stat 'ADL_SDK 5.0.zip': No such file or directory

It seems as if that code was getting me to extract a zip from nothing so I'm not sure what was supposed to happen there. So I just tried to skip over that to the "Build Cgminer" section. I used the exact same code listed except my SDK is in a folder labeled "AMDAPP" so I subbed out the "AMD-APP-SDK-v2.8.1.0-RC-lnx32" in the code and subbed in the correct "AMDAPP" in both neccisary places.

When I run that it seems to go through some compiling before I get back the start of the "Configuration Options Summary:" but there are only 4 lines of information listed as so...

Code:
     libcurl(GBT+getwork).: Enabled: -lcurl
     curses.TUI...................: Found: -lncurses
     OpenCL.......................: NOT FOUND. GPU mining support DISABLED
configure: error: No mining configured in

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2014, 12:49:58 PM

have you tried to install OpenCL on your own before cgm install?
SleezyPet (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 06:08:44 PM

have you tried to install OpenCL on your own before cgm install?

No I have not. Maybe that's the simple thing I'm missing. Although I've been running the 290x and 270 fine with the clpts miner. Since that's a GPU specific miner, wouldn't I need OpenCL setup correctly to run as well?
SleezyPet (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 01:32:55 PM

So I have yet to install OpenCL exlusivley but as I suspected, when I start clpts the first thing it notes is something about using/starting OpenCL.

So nobody has any ideas? I guess my main problem is why the heck don't I have the fabled cgminer file in my extracted directory?
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2014, 06:12:36 PM

So I have yet to install OpenCL exlusivley but as I suspected, when I start clpts the first thing it notes is something about using/starting OpenCL.

So nobody has any ideas? I guess my main problem is why the heck don't I have the fabled cgminer file in my extracted directory?

I am not sure ... I will try to figure it out later - strange that no one gave an answer yet Wink

Cheers!
SleezyPet (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 08:48:06 PM

Okay so after many re formats and moving over to ubuntu 13.10 I finally got the keccack version of 3.7.2 to work.

Now the last problem I encountered is the fact that cgminer was reporting 600-700kh/s on both my 290 and 290x even though they were only pulling around ~200w combined from the wall and had pretty much no load. I tried a bunch of flags from the litecoin wiki for my cards which did change the kh/s a bit but still wouldn't put a decent load on the cards.

I'm out of town until Wednesday so sadly I won't be able to investigate anymore until then.
Colin Miner

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2014, 09:25:51 PM

Now the last problem I encountered is the fact that cgminer was reporting 600-700kh/s on both my 290 and 290x even though they were only pulling around ~200w combined from the wall and had pretty much no load. I tried a bunch of flags from the litecoin wiki for my cards which did change the kh/s a bit but still wouldn't put a decent load on the cards.

Have you set your intensity high enough? I go for I:18 but that does slow the desktop.

FREE Namecoins (NMC), Devcoins (DVC) and IxCoins (iXC) while you mine Bitcoins (BTC) on the pool, in the cloud or both. Free to join, click here to Sign Up and mine your free coins.
Cheap VPS Hosting here or budget conscious Free cPanel hosting here. Buy BTC the safe and easy way at Localbitcoins.com (US and UK).
 "I'm no longer as confident as I was this morning." - xkeyscore89.  My Addie.cc.
more Free: BTC, LTC, FTC, TIPS, WDC, EAC & IFC
SleezyPet (OP)

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 02:00:47 AM

Have you set your intensity high enough? I go for I:18 but that does slow the desktop.

It was on 20 but that seemed to be the general setting suggested, as noted @ https://litecoin.info/Mining_hardware_comparison . Like I said I tried a large majority of those.

I was also using max on the 1gh pool for testing it. Not sure if that makes any difference.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: