Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 03:30:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the pro and con's about forking bitcoin?  (Read 1248 times)
bitcoirnplaza (OP)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 05:30:13 PM

Can anyone explain it to me? I really do not understand all the drama around it.
So if it forks everyone needs to update there wallet?
All coins and price remains? (so what is the problem?)
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
sdp

Activity: 469
Merit: 280

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2015, 05:53:55 PM

There are two notions of 'fork' when talking about bitcoin.  One is to fork the software of bitcoin.  The other is to fork the block chain.  So all the groups agree up to some height n but after that height there are two 'n+1' blocks and one group of nodes follow one, and another group follows another.  Then you have two distinct ledgers.  For node n+2, the nodes should pick one chain over the other and leave one of the n+1 nodes as an orphan but when they fork this doesn't happen.  Instead there are two block chains that march into the future that never agree.  Like parallel lines that never meet.

This happened before with a version upgrade in bitcoin having to do with the database implementation.  The solution was to abandon the one that had the older versions.

If you software fork the bitcoin project, then you can create an altercoin.  That's another story.

sdp

Coinsbank: Left money in their costodial wallet for my signature.  Then they kept the money.
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 08:34:14 PM

What a noob needs to know is mostly: don't panic, even if you were to be absent to all of this, you would never lose your coins. For example, if you were holding your coins since 2009, and come back in 2017, and a hard fork has happened were you require another client (like Bitcoin XT or whatever), you'll still have your coins on there because the coins get "duplicated" into the new blockchain.
Hard forks are always not desired for a number of reasons but if it happens because there is no way out, the users will not suffer a loss of wealth, so don't buy into the drama.
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 08:49:44 PM

it's only a drama when core devs are not agreeing on what is the best for bitcoin. if they decide to release 2 forks instead of 1 that's when problems start. one of them will turn out to be the leading fork. the other at that point is nothing more than an altcoin.
Enjorlas

Activity: 788

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 09:35:09 PM

When it finally gets to the point where a decision HAS to be made, Surley this will have a negative impact on the price no?
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 11:38:03 PM

When it finally gets to the point where a decision HAS to be made, Surley this will have a negative impact on the price no?

certainly not if consensus is reached (meaning it doesn't actually fork).
if it does fork, most likely one fork would win fairly quickly over the other
but yes that could be bad for price as it would erode confidence.
then again, if all appears well after  the smoke has cleared,
investors (particularly institutional investors) might be actually
more confident, so you never know.

cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1250

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 12:02:05 AM

certainly not if consensus is reached (meaning it doesn't actually fork).
if it does fork, most likely one fork would win fairly quickly over the other
but yes that could be bad for price as it would erode confidence.
then again, if all appears well after  the smoke has cleared,
investors (particularly institutional investors) might be actually
more confident, so you never know.

As far as I know the hard fork will not happen unless super consensus (thats 90%) it's reached, meanwhile both clients will exist under the same blockchain.
yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 12:11:05 AM

Forking by itself is neutral, it greatly depends on the scenario:

If there's a controversial fork of Bitcoin with - in worst case - close to 50% supporters for both the original and the forked version, both systems will loose in terms of security and value. A general loss of confidence in Bitcoin might be the result.

A non-controversial fork is not a problem - it's simply required to introduce certain updates. Bitcoin might also be forked to start a new side-project, for example a new Altcoin (with a separate Blockchain), which is also not a problem and can be used to test new technology.

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
Envrin

Activity: 318
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 12:16:34 AM

The biggest con to Bitcoin XT is the fact that Mike Hearn apparently wants to consolidate power over the blockchain via miners, and get the ability to freeze / blacklist bitcoins, as he mentions here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5979.0

I've been basically 100% Bitcoin for over 2 years now, but if that little proposal becomes reality, I'll be switching back to fiat immediately.
ticoti

Activity: 854

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 12:19:02 AM

pro's are that new changes and addons can be added to the bitcoin client,that is about forking software
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2015, 01:17:01 AM

Fork = Evolve and, Not Fork = Devolve

The software is not self-evolving, until it is, we must continue on our quest to improve the code. The time to become conservative is when this thing gets big, not while Bitcoin is still in the experimental stage.
yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 01:11:45 PM

The biggest con to Bitcoin XT is the fact that Mike Hearn apparently wants to consolidate power over the blockchain via miners, and get the ability to freeze / blacklist bitcoins, as he mentions here:

I've been basically 100% Bitcoin for over 2 years now, but if that little proposal becomes reality, I'll be switching back to fiat immediately.

Yes, Hearn and Andresen are trying to do a power grab here that is a serious threat to Bitcoin as we know it. As they have stated more than once, privacy and decentralization are not their primary objective. They want adoption at any cost - even if that means Bitcoin will become effectively a Paypal 2.0.

The reddit crowd and many members here are cheering for a max_blocksize increase. They also want adoption at any cost, because they simply hope for a rapid increase in Bitcoin's value. However such kind of thinking is shortsighted and might ultimately lead to Bitcoin's death by allowing centralized control and surveillance of transactions by a limited number of full nodes.

People should remember the fate of The Bitcoin Foundation, which was founded by Gavin. The objections raised against an excessive max_blocksize increase are fully justified.

I will never support the Hearndresen-fork. But instead of switching to fiat I will stay with Bitcoin Core (bringing more nodes up).

Fork = Evolve and, Not Fork = Devolve

That's simply wrong. Most improvements do not need a hard-fork. A hard-fork without consensus does not signify evolution, it signifies separation. A hard-fork based on egoistic motives and/or false assumptions is devolution.

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
Envrin

Activity: 318
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 04:05:42 AM

I will never support the Hearndresen-fork. But instead of switching to fiat I will stay with Bitcoin Core (bringing more nodes up).

Time will tell.  For example, for all I know they've accrued $500 million in funding, which they're going to use to convince folks like Bitpay, Coinbase, blockchain.info, LBC, and so on to switch over to XT, at which point Bitcoin is in serious trouble.

I love Bitcoin, but under no circumstances will I switch over to XT.  If I need to hand over control of my finances to a regulatory body, I would much prefer that be someone such as the government of Canada, Switzerland, Hong Kong, Singapore, etc.  Under no circumstances would I ever relinquish that control to Mike Hearn and his cohorts.
hua_hui
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1016

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 06:36:46 AM
Last edit: June 25, 2015, 06:52:13 AM by hua_hui

Time will tell.  For example, for all I know they've accrued $500 million in funding, which they're going to use to convince folks like Bitpay, Coinbase, blockchain.info, LBC, and so on to switch over to XT, at which point Bitcoin is in serious trouble.

I love Bitcoin, but under no circumstances will I switch over to XT.  If I need to hand over control of my finances to a regulatory body, I would much prefer that be someone such as the government of Canada, Switzerland, Hong Kong, Singapore, etc.  Under no circumstances would I ever relinquish that control to Mike Hearn and his cohorts.

How comes switching over to XT will cause serious trouble?

Check here:https://github.com/bitcoinxt/bitcoinxt
Bitcoin XT is a patch set on top of Bitcoin Core, with a focus on upgrades to the peer to peer protocol. By running it you can opt in to providing the Bitcoin network with additional services beyond what Bitcoin Core nodes provide.
You are not hand over control of your finance to a regulatory body! The inherent protocol hasn't changed at all, still be decentralized. The current version's XT hasn't changed the blocksize yet and just bases on the existing blockchain, same as bitcoin core! After getting at some extent of concensus, blockchain increase will be implemented. Nothing else will be changed! Otherwise no consensus will get reached!
turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 06:42:56 AM

You obviously didn't understand what Mike Hearn writes there.
Freezing Bitcoin is theoretical possibly in the current system, if you have all miners on board. That is a fact. No fork needed for that.

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
grendel25
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1031

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 08:40:08 AM

Forking is an indication of at least some form of proactive management.  The ability to alter the affect of bitcoin by adding features such as security, anonymity, better accounting practices, etc etc etc is something that makes it such a captivating monetary entity.  I always like to draw comparisons.  Imagine fiat before banks, credit cards, loan agencies, etc etc... Bitcoin has a lot of development to go through but there are already loan agencies developing for bitcoin. 

Changes to bitcoin via forks are contested vigorously and it's sort of like the Roman empire... just the slightest move in the wrong direction could bring on the demise of bitcoin or could make it the most powerful currency in the world.

..EPICENTRAL .....
..EPIC: Epic Private Internet Cash..
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████████████▀▀█████▄
▄████████████▀▀▀    ██████▄
████████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ████████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
▀████████▌▐       ████████▀
▀████████ ▄██▄  ████████▀
▀█████████████▄███████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████▀█████▀████████▄
▄██████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀██████▄
██████▌             ▐██████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
▀█████▄  ▄▄     ▄▄  ▄█████▀
▀██████▄▄███████▄▄██████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
[/center]
peligro

Activity: 593

1NoBanksLuJPXf8Sc831fPqjrRpkQPKkEA

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 10:24:57 AM

Freezing Bitcoin is theoretical possibly in the current system, if you have all miners on board. That is a fact. No fork needed for that.

You are right. Though when bitcoiners really will go ahead and give "their" bitcoin away to a private company, where the development of the blockchain and the wallet is decided to some private persons and that company, then why the heck should miners switch away later? First they take that offer, so i don't see many will switch later.

It's like a vote. If you chose bitcoin xt then you chose a company that will decide what will happen to the bitcoin wallet and the blockchain.

Hearn and co make so much trouble as if the remaining developers doesn't understand the problem. Of course they do. They only don't take part in that fear advertising campaign for a company bitcoin xt. Bitcoin core will be forked for sure. Its simply needed. No real developer will deny that. It only doesn't have to happen now instantly. We have time to find the best solution. But hearn let it sound like tomorrow bitcoin will die. And we all should give his company the power to rule about our coins.

I won't take part in this. But i fear the community is not so united. I fear a damage to the price of bitcoin. Though maybe bitcoin core gets patched fast and bitcoin xt is losing its momentum.
turvarya

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 11:02:37 AM

You are right. Though when bitcoiners really will go ahead and give "their" bitcoin away to a private company, where the development of the blockchain and the wallet is decided to some private persons and that company, then why the heck should miners switch away later? First they take that offer, so i don't see many will switch later.

It's like a vote. If you chose bitcoin xt then you chose a company that will decide what will happen to the bitcoin wallet and the blockchain.

Hearn and co make so much trouble as if the remaining developers doesn't understand the problem. Of course they do. They only don't take part in that fear advertising campaign for a company bitcoin xt. Bitcoin core will be forked for sure. Its simply needed. No real developer will deny that. It only doesn't have to happen now instantly. We have time to find the best solution. But hearn let it sound like tomorrow bitcoin will die. And we all should give his company the power to rule about our coins.

I won't take part in this. But i fear the community is not so united. I fear a damage to the price of bitcoin. Though maybe bitcoin core gets patched fast and bitcoin xt is losing its momentum.
The difference to other votes is: You can always change it. When I like their current fork, I switch to them. If they make another fork, I don't like I can switch to another client. As long as it is open source, somebody can just take it and make their own version of it.
So, nobody gives anybody any control over future developments, just because he chooses their client once.

SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2015, 11:27:41 AM

The difference to other votes is: You can always change it. When I like their current fork, I switch to them. If they make another fork, I don't like I can switch to another client. As long as it is open source, somebody can just take it and make their own version of it.
So, nobody gives anybody any control over future developments, just because he chooses their client once.

I think peligro already mentioned why it still will be a problem. When bitcoiners really would switch to bitcoin xt, knowing all the dangers to their coin, then its unlikely that they will switch again later. I mean they first accepted the downsides, they chose it even because of that. Why should the same bitcoiners do the opposite then? So i think he is right, it would mean a risk to our bitcoin.

And the scenario is real. I did not seldom read that some would wish a centralized ruler, just to take away the trouble of making decisions and the fights. Giving in to that might hurt bitcoin even when they switch back later.

Though we will see. Wink

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
turvarya

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 11:54:01 AM

I think peligro already mentioned why it still will be a problem. When bitcoiners really would switch to bitcoin xt, knowing all the dangers to their coin, then its unlikely that they will switch again later. I mean they first accepted the downsides, they chose it even because of that. Why should the same bitcoiners do the opposite then? So i think he is right, it would mean a risk to our bitcoin.

And the scenario is real. I did not seldom read that some would wish a centralized ruler, just to take away the trouble of making decisions and the fights. Giving in to that might hurt bitcoin even when they switch back later.

Though we will see. Wink
TL;DR: People who switch to XT are stupid and will keep stupid.

Is insults really everything so many people on this forum have?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: