Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:14:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mt. Gox and Dwolla  (Read 1087 times)
Distribution (OP)

Activity: 711
Merit: 500

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 02:40:15 PM

I finally bit the bullet and decided to have my Dwolla account verified to make it easy to buy Bitcoins. However, I didn't know that a larger hurdle was ahead to also verify to a larger degree my identity with Mt. Gox. What's the point? Mt. Gox claims that they don't share any information with a third party under any circumstances, but their privacy policy seems to suggest otherwise. In any case, why would Dwolla require stronger verification from an exchange rather than the account which is connected to my bank? And if the exchange doesn't share information with anyone "external to Mt. Gox under any circumstances" what would keep me from verifying the two differently, with different addresses, identities, etc? I was just really looking forward to be able to easily participate in exchanging Bitcoins, but this whole Dwolla verification thing is really stupid and, unless I'm missing something, entirely ineffective.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 09:57:11 PM

unless I'm missing something, entirely ineffective.

The simple scenario is where a hacker gains access to an individual's Dwolla account and transfers funds to the hacker's own Mt. Gox account.   If Mt. Gox has identify from verifying the account, then Dwolla would know who supposedly received the funds.   This also lessens the chance of a fraudulent claim that the transfer was not authorized.

what would keep me from verifying the two differently, with different addresses, identities, etc?

I don't think it matters, at least not for deposits.  I can send my Dwolla funds to your Mt. Gox account I believe.   But with Dwolla being U.S. only, presumably only Mt. Gox accounts that are verified with a U.S. address then could receive Dwolla transfers.

But you can't withdraw your Mt. Gox USDs to my Dwolla I believe -- those two must be the same party, I believe.

So this verification cuts down on the permutations of risk to ones that are less exploitable.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Activity: 756

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 03:22:09 PM

DWOLLA just came to extort me out of my $40 with them if I don't give ID

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
Distribution (OP)

Activity: 711

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 01:09:37 AM

If it's going to Mt. Gox, the extortion won't stop. I sent them an ID and utility bill. Then as soon as I figured everything was good, I transferred money and they locked it up until I proved that I was associated with the business on my Dwolla. And each step takes about two days.

Activity: 756

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 01:15:59 AM

If it's going to Mt. Gox, the extortion won't stop. I sent them an ID and utility bill. Then as soon as I figured everything was good, I transferred money and they locked it up until I proved that I was associated with the business on my Dwolla. And each step takes about two days.

I've only transferred to/from other dwolla users

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: