Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:06:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why so much bitcoin popularity in Russia?  (Read 6574 times)
danalex (OP)

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 03:00:44 PM

Yesterday I was looking at map that showed popularity of bitcoin worldwide and was wondering why Russia got the first place.
There is a good reason for bitcoin being so popular in Russia.
It is probably because there is a Russian TV channel that discusses bitcoin all the time: "Russia Today" TV (rt.com).
This may tell us how important is mediatic coverage for bitcoin popularity.
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Atlas

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 03:06:16 PM

The economic system of Russia has been built from underground activity since the collapse of The Soviet Union. Bitcoin serves the Russian legally-black/grey power structures very well in laundering funds among other things, especially on an international-scale, since Bitcoin is not centrally managed.

Basically, my guess is Russian mobsters and criminals are picking up on it.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 03:12:24 PM

Russians happen to love internet money!

GernMiester

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 04:37:41 PM

They can scam you out of BTC and they know their government will just ask for a cut in USD or Euro of course... Thats IF they even get noticed.
World

Activity: 743
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 08:59:12 PM

good networking skills

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
SysRun

Activity: 616

Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 09:04:36 PM

Nigerian Princes like bitcoin for the same reasons.

Images are not allowed. As your member rank increases, you can use more types of styling in your signature, and your signature can be longer. See the stickies in Meta for more info.
Max 2000; characters remaining: 1781
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 09:11:14 PM

Yesterday I was looking at map that showed popularity of bitcoin worldwide and was wondering why Russia got the first place.

Coz Russia is quite big. If Bitcoin is spread equally around the globe, then it's normal that big countries have more bitcoin followers.
Vitalik Buterin

Activity: 330
Merit: 397

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 10:51:13 PM

Coz Russia is quite big. If Bitcoin is spread equally around the globe, then it's normal that big countries have more bitcoin followers.

Nope, Russia has more bitcoin clients per million than pretty much everything outside other, even more extreme, Eastern European countries like Ukraine, and even if you correct for GDP its Bitcoin popularity is (or at least was back in February) nine times higher than expected.

Argumentum ad lunam: the fallacy that because Bitcoin's price is rising really fast the currency must be a speculative bubble and/or Ponzi scheme.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 10:57:46 PM

I'm not sure what map you are looking at, but http://www.weusecoins.com/globe-bitcoin/ shows differently.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 07:00:43 AM

I got the answer. Mining gives free bitcoins. And russians love "xaлявa" (freebie).
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2012, 09:00:42 AM

Well, mined coins aren't exactly free but neither do they require hard physical or tedious labour! (Except by the mining rig that is.)

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
Seal
Donator

Activity: 848
Merit: 1078

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2012, 12:56:55 PM

There is a good reason for bitcoin being so popular in Russia.
It is probably because there is a Russian TV channel that discusses bitcoin all the time: "Russia Today" TV (rt.com).
This may tell us how important is mediatic coverage for bitcoin popularity.

Where is this map you are looking at?

DefiDive - Filter the noise
A clean crypto asset management terminal
disclaimer201
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 01:19:05 PM

It's very cold in Russia. Many probably heat their houses with wood or old electric ovens that heat up over night. Might as well buy a lot of Gpus and get paid for an expensive necessity.
Sage

Activity: 632

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 01:33:15 PM

The answer lies in Russia's history.

That history has taught them in a very viscerally painful way not to trust paper currency (and central authorities that govern it).

Those holding the Euro are next to get this painful lesson... those holding the Dollar will get it soon after that.

Said, how clueless the average American is who's spending that paper. They have no clue how the Federal Reserve scam works.  Talk to the average Russian though, and they have a completely different view.

Cheers
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 01:39:20 PM

I'm not sure what map you are looking at, but http://www.weusecoins.com/globe-bitcoin/ shows differently.

After looking at that map, I'm not hell bent on becoming the first node from Antarctica.

and to answer the OP, well, what else is there to do in Russia?
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2012, 01:46:18 PM

and to answer the OP, well, what else is there to do in Russia?

Drink вoдкa? Grin

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
yokosan

Activity: 700

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 02:47:21 PM

botnets

I am surprised how little attention this gets. There are hundreds of people making $10k+ per month with botnets. It doesn't even matter how good the hardware is when you have thousands of zombies. There are pre-made miners available for sale, some of which are completely undetectable. Once anti-virus detects them it is very easy to crypt them and carry on.

This is not a small scale thing. It is not an exception. This is happening on an absolutely massive scale and once people find out just how much of this is going on bitcoin is going to suffer, hard.

I'm not making this up. I'm not spreading FUD. This is a fact and it is my prediction that it will hit Bitcoin harder than anything else has done to date.

If you don't believe me just head over to some of the popular black hat forums and search for bitcoin.

Also, MMM.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 02:53:57 PM

The answer lies in Russia's history.

That history has taught them in a very viscerally painful way not to trust paper currency (and central authorities that govern it).

Those holding the Euro are next to get this painful lesson... those holding the Dollar will get it soon after that.

Said, how clueless the average American is who's spending that paper. They have no clue how the Federal Reserve scam works.  Talk to the average Russian though, and they have a completely different view.

Cheers

As a guy who has Russian mentality I assure u that main cause is free money (bitcoins). Smiley
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2012, 03:04:25 PM

botnets

I am surprised how little attention this gets. There are hundreds of people making $10k+ per month with botnets. It doesn't even matter how good the hardware is when you have thousands of zombies. There are pre-made miners available for sale, some of which are completely undetectable. Once anti-virus detects them it is very easy to crypt them and carry on.

This is not a small scale thing. It is not an exception. This is happening on an absolutely massive scale and once people find out just how much of this is going on bitcoin is going to suffer, hard.

I'm not making this up. I'm not spreading FUD. This is a fact and it is my prediction that it will hit Bitcoin harder than anything else has done to date.

If you don't believe me just head over to some of the popular black hat forums and search for bitcoin.

Also, MMM.
How would this hit bitcoin ?

Don't you think this will stop gradually once mining goes ASICs ?
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 03:12:30 PM

botnets

Also, MMM.
How would this hit bitcoin ?

Don't you think this will stop gradually once mining goes ASICs ?

+1

valid point
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: