Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 07:12:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New to BTC mining  (Read 715 times)
RamboRex (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2015, 11:36:24 PM

So I'm super new to this whole Bitcoin and virtual currency thing. I work a decent job and I read something about BTC mining and how you can make money off of it. I'm just curious as to what kind of machines I could purchase to start mining? I have no problem spending a couple thousand on a machine. Does anyone have recommendations on which rigs I could use? Sorry for sounding so unthoughtful, I'm new.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Finksy
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 02:24:52 AM

There are MANY threads like yours on this forum, asking the same thing.

TL;DR

1) No new mining hardware available to home/small farm users in the foreseeable future

2) Many new generations of more efficient hardware being released in the very near future by manufacturers to self-mine in large farms

3) Difficulty is about to start rising again, with each % increase effectively reducing your revenue by same amount for given hashrate (See 2 for reasoning)

4) By the time electricity costs start to exceed revenue (See 3 for reasoning), your hardware has become obsolete, and is essentially worthless.

5) With typical home electricity rates (>$0.10/KwH) you will not break even on used hardware

=

Better off purchasing BTC.

P.S. Disregard what anyone says about cloudmining.  If it was profitable to the end-user, the cloud-mining companies would just self-mine themselves.

IBM 2880W PSU Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=966135 IBM 4K PSU Breakout Boards & Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1308296 
Server PSU-powered GPU rig solutions! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1864539  Wallet address: 1GWQYCv22cAikgTgT1zFuAmsJ9fFqq9TXf 
Glucose

Activity: 861
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 12:31:10 PM

So I'm super new to this whole Bitcoin and virtual currency thing. I work a decent job and I read something about BTC mining and how you can make money off of it. I'm just curious as to what kind of machines I could purchase to start mining? I have no problem spending a couple thousand on a machine. Does anyone have recommendations on which rigs I could use? Sorry for sounding so unthoughtful, I'm new.

Now is not a time to start mining. Unless you have free or cheap electricity.

You probably better buy some bitcoin instead.
kenbytes

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 21, 2015, 06:35:44 PM

don't buy mining hardware until you have learned enough, as you most likely won't ROI on your investment.

melody82

Activity: 378
Merit: 257

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 08:53:06 PM

P.S. Disregard what anyone says about cloudmining.  If it was profitable to the end-user, the cloud-mining companies would just self-mine themselves.

I got some nice returns that say otherwise.  I like hashnest, you wont get rich overnight but the returns are solid, and you can sell back your hash whenever you want to.

That being said be careful because there are many suspected scams in the world of cloud mining.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: