Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:43:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 3D printed miner  (Read 2771 times)
Alex1212 (OP)

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 06:58:15 PM

I was thinking, what would happen if someone created a 3D printed miner, Like the base of the miner, and the chips mounted on the inside. It would lower the cost of production, and allow a lot more customization.

I'm going to create a prototype in FreeCAD, and share it...

If anyone has some ideas/chip suggestions please let me know.

You can all email me at easyconvertus@gmail.com if you would like.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
OnkelPaul
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 07:11:03 PM

While 3D printing is way cool, it's not really cost-effective except for single items or very small runs. And it would definitely not lower production costs for mining hardware, because chips, PCBs and cabling are the main factors there.
For personal fun and experiments, 3D printed miner cases would be nice - think about having a personalized case for a USB miner (mining-wise it would still be almost worthless, but much more fun to show around).
If you're looking for a bitcoin-related 3D printing business idea, producing 3D printed items for people who want to pay in BTC might be more feasible, although the demand is probably not high enough at this time.

Onkel Paul

Alex1212 (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 07:15:22 PM

While 3D printing is way cool, it's not really cost-effective except for single items or very small runs. And it would definitely not lower production costs for mining hardware, because chips, PCBs and cabling are the main factors there.
For personal fun and experiments, 3D printed miner cases would be nice - think about having a personalized case for a USB miner (mining-wise it would still be almost worthless, but much more fun to show around).
If you're looking for a bitcoin-related 3D printing business idea, producing 3D printed items for people who want to pay in BTC might be more feasible, although the demand is probably not high enough at this time.

Onkel Paul
Im thinking of actually creating a product, and selling it, but its made out of 3D printing materials, and 3rd party chips. Maybe with a built in power unit
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 06:20:31 AM

so it will be made of plastic, like that pistol or that car that were created with a 3d printer, right? plastic materials can't suit with a miners at all, the heat could liquidate it

also you might only saves few pennies on the case basically, and we know that is the chip the most expensive part
MaxDZ8

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 06:26:08 AM

I think it's an interesting idea, from a purely educational experience. I don't really see it going anywhere else.
At that point, why not to just 3D print computer cases? Enthusiasts are going to shell out an arm and a leg for a pretty case.

And anyway, how do you 3D-print metal with decent electrical properties? 3D printing is mostly plastic AFAIK.
ShetKid

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 12:50:32 PM

It is extremely hard to 3D print ASIC chips  . You might be able to print out the supporting rails , but the electrical part will not be efficiently printed in any manner. However you could get CAD designs of the electrical circuitry and could have it assembled in a local hardware place that offers such service.
Alex1212 (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 01:56:06 PM

I dont think you guys are understanding what i mean...

Basically to create the product i do a few things

- 3d Print my case
- Buy chips
- Buy PSU
- Buy Raspberry PI
- Buy a few other ad-ons for the pi

This will all come together as a "plug-and-play" type miner, I have a unfinished 3D printed model..
https://i.imgur.com/pWtPPPC.png
The 4 holes in the front are for Ethernet and optional PSU input, the larger rectangular one is for an alarmclock like gui showing the status of the miner...

https://i.imgur.com/OL4xe4m.png

The PI will be stored down where the Ethernet input is, and it will allow the gui implementation to be easier, The PSU will either be stored in the back, or on top of the blue. Im not really sure yet... Then ill make some holes for fans, THERE WILL BE ALUMINUM MOUNTINGS FOR THE CHIPS TO PREVENT THE PLASTIC FROM MELTING!!!!

Like i said, the 3d model is very very premature and has a lot of work still to be done.
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 02:47:51 AM

so you will basically just be 3d printing a plastic enclosure? (which if you want >10 of could probably be done better quality for cheaper overseas)
then youll simply connect an RPI, PSU, and 'chips'? "chips" require control boards and software, as well as power delivery. its not gonna be some GPIO attachment for an RPI. What about heatsinks? fans?

If building a miner was this easy I would have built it already, but without a plastic housing that obstructs airflow

ps: GUI requires 'interface'. Are you saying that you'll be building a touchscreen into the front of the unit? I think what you meant was a small status LCD or a panel of LEDS.

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
Alex1212 (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 01:07:52 PM

so you will basically just be 3d printing a plastic enclosure? (which if you want >10 of could probably be done better quality for cheaper overseas)
then youll simply connect an RPI, PSU, and 'chips'? "chips" require control boards and software, as well as power delivery. its not gonna be some GPIO attachment for an RPI. What about heatsinks? fans?

If building a miner was this easy I would have built it already, but without a plastic housing that obstructs airflow

ps: GUI requires 'interface'. Are you saying that you'll be building a touchscreen into the front of the unit? I think what you meant was a small status LCD or a panel of LEDS.

Like i said, it would be a "Plug-And-Play" product, you buy the product, connect it to Ethernet and plug it in, then you're ready to mine. Heatsinks and fans will be implimented, im still looking at the most efficient way to do it.. 

My bad, not a GUI... Although a touchscreen into the front would be cool!

Like I've said, this is just an idea..
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 10:23:36 PM

the problem is that your idea is already what a dozen other people and companies are working on but at far more advanced stages (see sidehacks gekkoboard for example)
the only thing you're bringing to the game is a 3D-printed housing (which isnt economic compared to simply outsourcing properly injection-molded or built with metal)

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
jbrnt

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 11:53:02 PM

I was thinking, what would happen if someone created a 3D printed miner, Like the base of the miner, and the chips mounted on the inside. It would lower the cost of production, and allow a lot more customization.

You might be able to print a PCB and the case, you can't print chips, heatsinks and components.
Alex1212 (OP)

View Profile
June 26, 2015, 01:15:38 PM

You might be able to print a PCB and the case, you can't print chips, heatsinks and components.
i know i know i know.

btcspry

Activity: 132
Merit: 17

View Profile
June 26, 2015, 10:49:17 PM

A little bit off topic, but this project over here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1097874 is another way 3D printing is penetrating the bitcoin world.  Check it out if you're looking to upgrade your paper wallets.
Bitdonator
Legendary

Activity: 1223
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 11:29:31 PM

I'm going to create a prototype in FreeCAD, and share it...

If anyone has some ideas/chip suggestions please let me know.

You can all email me at easyconvertus@gmail.com if you would like.

3D printing is very slow and expensive method of creating things.
It cant lower cost of production, miner can only be high cost.

Its good for DIY projects, if you need to make one or two miners...
but for serial production, 3D printing is very bad option
michelem
Legendary

Activity: 1015
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2015, 09:58:00 AM

When you find the way to 3D print CPU at 14 nanometer or so you will do a lot of money, instead with printing plastic cheap and ugly case you can only waste your time (but as an hobby is good if you like it).

Get Minera. Your next bitcoin mining dashboard. Donations are welcome
Inauk

Activity: 23

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 05:47:13 PM

so it will be made of plastic, like that pistol or that car that were created with a 3d printer, right? plastic materials can't suit with a miners at all, the heat could liquidate it

also you might only saves few pennies on the case basically, and we know that is the chip the most expensive part

yes it will be made of plastic, but dont forget this is jute the beginning of this tegnology, who know what will happend in the future Wink
Nowi

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 05:56:26 PM

It can help to bitcoin community a lto so you should find investors in our midsts. Becouse you will need much money, if you will not find them, your production will be not profitable=not much miners.

DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
July 18, 2015, 02:54:57 AM

3D printing and virtual currency - make your own Casacius coin
xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
July 18, 2015, 01:09:30 PM

This is fucking hilarious!

You do know that making a case for an ASIC miner is by far the least important and easiest thing to do, right?

I dont think you guys are understanding what i mean...

Basically to create the product i do a few things

- 3d Print my case
- Buy chips
- Buy PSU
- Buy Raspberry PI
- Buy a few other ad-ons for the pi

This will all come together as a "plug-and-play" type miner, I have a unfinished 3D printed model..

The 4 holes in the front are for Ethernet and optional PSU input, the larger rectangular one is for an alarmclock like gui showing the status of the miner...

The PI will be stored down where the Ethernet input is, and it will allow the gui implementation to be easier, The PSU will either be stored in the back, or on top of the blue. Im not really sure yet... Then ill make some holes for fans, THERE WILL BE ALUMINUM MOUNTINGS FOR THE CHIPS TO PREVENT THE PLASTIC FROM MELTING!!!!

Like i said, the 3d model is very very premature and has a lot of work still to be done.

You don't just "buy chips" and connect them to an rPi and a PSU and suddenly have a functioning miner. There's the matter of the circuit board and supporting parts that is rather important. AND they are not "plug-and-play" parts that you just buy off the shelf like an rPi. Btw, are you capable of programming the firmware/software?

We get it. You have a 3D printer and very marginal CAD skills. And suddenly you're an ASIC designer. Makes perfect sense, lol.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: