Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 06:25:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: can, the prune mode of the 0.11 bitcoin core, disrupt the Bitcoin Network ?  (Read 1992 times)
Meuh6879 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 07:35:37 PM

i use the prune mode at 30 Gb.
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/5863

i see bitcoin member connect to my 0.11 RC2.
i can mine on P2Pool with server enabled on Bitcoin Core.

So ...  in what, the prune mode is bad for a node ?
Thanks Smiley
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
unamis76
Legendary

Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 08:43:43 PM

I don't see how pruning can be bad... Developments of pruning would be immediately discarded the moment it became destructive for the blockchain/the Bitcoin environment.
RedDiamond

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 11:49:38 AM

I think that you can not (yet) run wallet with pruning but according the release notes also it should be possible in the near future.
Meuh6879 (OP)
Legendary

Merit: 1011

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 08:21:00 PM

Can the developpers push the wallet mode (SPV ?) in pruning mode ... work ?
I have a 46,5 Go blockchain folder ... and my limit is 50 Go for ... Bitcoin (1/3 of my SSD).

Kiss
unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 09:54:55 PM

Can the developpers push the wallet mode (SPV ?) in pruning mode ... work ?
I have a 46,5 Go blockchain folder ... and my limit is 50 Go for ... Bitcoin (1/3 of my SSD).

Kiss

Pruning will probably be compatible with wallet features in near future. For now, it's not compatible.

You can have Bitcoin Core on your SSD and you database on a HDD. You lose snappiness but you have more space for the ever growing blockchain Smiley
miguelmorales85

Activity: 544
Merit: 506

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 10:24:19 PM

Can someone post a link or explain the cons and pros of running a pruned node?
I have not found such information.

What are the implications in running a pruned node for the Bitcoin network?

tia
unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 10:54:45 PM

tia

You can read about pruning here. Unfortunately there isn't much discussion about this, as far as I know (probably because not many people use pruning yet...). if there are some discussions about this new feature and it's future I'd also like to know!
tsoPANos

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

In math we trust.

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 10:55:50 PM

tia
You will not be able to see transaction history inside pruned blocks, as you will only have a record of UTXO (Unspent Transaction Output).
On top of that enebling pruning will disable bitcoin core from using a wallet. It is sad that this will be fixed in the future.

tia

You can read about pruning here. Unfortunately there isn't much discussion about this, as far as I know (probably because not many people use pruning yet...). if there are some discussions about this new feature and it's future I'd also like to know!

I believe people don't care about pruning that much as the blozksize bebate draws lots of attention.
It will become more popular as soon as the block size issue gets resolved(which, according to my estimations won't, at least in the short-mid term.)
unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 11:10:59 PM

I believe people don't care about pruning that much as the blozksize bebate draws lots of attention.
It will become more popular as soon as the block size issue gets resolved(which, according to my estimations won't, at least in the short-mid term.)

I partly disagree. People do generally care about pruning, and have been talking for quite some time about it, but it's just pretty much a "beta" feature at this time and not really usable with anything, and that's what puts people off. You can't be a node and you can't run a wallet with pruning on. So, for most people, why prune? Might as well leave Bitcoin Core off.

The block size is indeed part of the problem, and it will get worse if/when we switch to 8MB blocks and we start getting them filled. Or maybe not Wink Hard drive space will get bigger and cheaper... And when we have full 8MB blocks we will probably have most issues related to pruning solved Cheesy
miguelmorales85

Activity: 544
Merit: 506

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 12:10:53 AM

tia

I have read that entirely but I wanted something more like a debate, user's test results, etc...

unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 05:15:16 PM

tia

I have read that entirely but I wanted something more like a debate, user's test results, etc...

That would be very pleasant Smiley Unfortunately I don't see that happening with the current Core version.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: