Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:29:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hardware level security  (Read 791 times)
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2012, 12:51:55 PM

We can all get very paranoid and do everything we can at the software level to secure our wallets and everything else related to security.

But if someone manipulates your hardware, you would likely never know.

Are there any ways to counter something like this occurring? Someone at Intel could stick a private key reader into the chip and everyone who uses that chip from then on would be screwed.
Or someone could add a chip to the computers as they sit in a huge server room. Or even someone at UPS or FedEx.

I only have indirect knowledge of such attacks but am wondering if others have considered this.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2012, 01:11:35 PM

Sure, use multisig and store the keys on two different types of hardware (e.g. cell phone and computer).

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 01:38:13 PM

Doesn't even need to be an Intel engineer. If a rootkit loads before an OS, then it'll be able to do the same things.
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 04:43:37 PM

Sure, use multisig and store the keys on two different types of hardware (e.g. cell phone and computer).

Is multisig now available in the satoshi client?

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: