A question regarding the Bitcoin network

(1/5) > >>

apesconcert:
How are changes in the Bitcoin network implemented? I'm not talking about the core of the network itself, but rather, if for example some new feature were to be implemented... can someone outline the decision-making process, who is responsible for implemented such changes and how they are made known to the community? Thank you

emelac:
The whole network's distributed and nobody is in charge of making decisions. The majority of people running network nodes decide whether to accept a change or not by upgrading the Bitcoin software they use to a new version containing the change.

There is a group of developers who code changes into the software, but anyone can suggest changes they could make, and if they approve the developers will include the change in the next software version they produce.

odolvlobo:
Quote from: emelac on June 24, 2015, 09:31:33 PM

The whole network's distributed and nobody is in charge of making decisions. The majority of people running network nodes decide whether to accept a change or not by upgrading the Bitcoin software they use to a new version containing the change.

There is a group of developers who code changes into the software, but anyone can suggest changes they could make, and if they approve the developers will include the change in the next software version they produce.

Keep in mind that there is no "The Software". Anybody can make any change to their own code. The trick is to get others to make the same changes. Right now, most bitcoin developers tend to follow the code in Bitcoin Core, but that could change (perhaps even in a few months if enough people switch to Bitcoin XT).

MicroGuy:
Quote from: apesconcert on June 24, 2015, 09:24:25 PM

How are changes in the Bitcoin network implemented? I'm not talking about the core of the network itself, but rather, if for example some new feature were to be implemented... can someone outline the decision-making process, who is responsible for implemented such changes and how they are made known to the community? Thank you

This is the gray area and decision tree that's not yet clearly defined. Once this ambiguity is crushed into ashes, Bitcoin will become an unstoppable force.

melody82:
Quote from: MicroGuy on June 25, 2015, 12:47:11 AM

Quote from: apesconcert on June 24, 2015, 09:24:25 PM

This is the gray area and decision tree that's not yet clearly defined. Once this ambiguity is crushed into ashes, Bitcoin will become an unstoppable force.

I don't disagree, but I think the big barriers are also not enough retailers accepting bitcoins, and a long history of bad press.  But there have been some really positive news stories lately so maybe this is changing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page