Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 06:56:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will bitcoin be the first entity to win a land war in Asia?  (Read 1399 times)
Severian (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 07:35:37 PM

"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 07:44:56 PM

Looks awesome, but I don't get what you are trying to imply.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
Severian (OP)

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 07:56:01 PM

Looks awesome, but I don't get what you are trying to imply.

I've been watching nodes increase in Asia for a while now. The node presence in Asia didn't look like this when I dropped out of bitcoin last year.

I was also just making a joke based on geopolitics, as in the line from "The Princess Bride":

Vizzini: You only think I guessed wrong! That's what's so funny! I switched glasses when your back was turned! Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line"! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...
Vizzini: (Vizzini stops suddenly, his smile frozen on his face and falls to the ground dead)

I suppose my point is that if bitcoin takes hold in Asia with any kind of mass, it's unstoppable.
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 05:09:25 PM

bitcoin is perfect for a lot of Asian countries, due to the presence of huge cash based and underground economy. But language is a problem, most of bitcoin resources are English or German. It'll take a lot of effort to popularize bitcoin for each culture group in Asia.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
ShireSilver

Activity: 382
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2012, 07:24:16 PM

I was also just making a joke based on geopolitics, as in the line from "The Princess Bride":

Vizzini: You only think I guessed wrong! That's what's so funny! I switched glasses when your back was turned! Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line"! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...
Vizzini: (Vizzini stops suddenly, his smile frozen on his face and falls to the ground dead)

I suppose my point is that if bitcoin takes hold in Asia with any kind of mass, it's unstoppable.

MacArthur supposedly said it: http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Talk:Douglas_MacArthur
I'd hear the quote long before Princess Bride, but then I've always been a bit of a history buff.

Shire Silver, a better bullion that fits in your wallet. Get some, now accepting bitcoin!
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 09:02:26 PM

Is there a chart detailing nodes growth over time?

Akka
Legendary

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 09:04:01 PM

Actually it doesn't look so good.

Severian (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 09:15:16 PM

Maybe that chart reflects a decline in botnets?
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2012, 09:21:46 PM

Many more people use web wallets now. I only run 2 nodes, but I hold coins for hundreds of people.

Not many people host their own blogs or run their own email server either.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Akka
Legendary

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 09:23:07 PM

Maybe that chart reflects a decline in botnets?

Maybe, and lot of people going out after the 2011 Bubble. Sadly the chart starts exactl when the bubble blasted. Would be interesting to see the grow before that.

Also I think many people have switched to lite clients and online wallets. Which aren't full nodes so you won't see them there.

Edit: To slow, damnit.

Severian (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 09:48:21 PM

Also I think many people have switched to lite clients and online wallets. Which aren't full nodes so you won't see them there.

Many more people use web wallets now.

I wonder if there's a way we can ascertain a ratio of active nodes to btc users/holders? I also hold coins for people, some of whom will never fire up a client on their machine.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: