Print  
Author Topic: Deleted  (Read 778 times)
kingcolex (OP)

Activity: 254
Merit: 1258

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 03:33:26 PM
Last edit: September 19, 2023, 03:52:55 PM by kingcolex

"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Grout

Activity: 139
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 05:22:32 PM

I am looking into possibly making a 4 750ti rig (that would be in a case, no risers) and need a motherboard that fits standard atx size. I was looking at this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188159 but I noticed it doesn't have molex to the motherboard like the H81 pro btc http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H81%20Pro%20BTC/
Now won't 4 cards being sucking too much power from the standard plug attached to the motherboard possibly leading to a melting?

Is there a 4 pci x16 motherboard that has sli power adapters but will fit in a case?

There are some with 4 16x (high end gaming cards, very expensive). But they don't have molex pcie connectors since they assume you are going to use high end GPUs, which have their own power cables. If your cards have a 6pin, it's much easier on the mobo, since most of the power comes directly from the PSU.

But I would still go with powered risers, just for safety. It's only a few bucks and the peace of mind is priceless :-)
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
June 26, 2015, 01:29:46 AM

Powered USB risers are infinitely better, safer and likely even cheaper. You don't have cards heating each other being close, you don't risk burning your motherboard's 24 pin socket because the cards pull too much from it and you can have 6 cards per rig if you go with something like an Asrock Pro BTC board.

Not your keys, not your coins!
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
June 26, 2015, 01:44:44 AM

Powered USB risers are infinitely better, safer and likely even cheaper. You don't have cards heating each other being close, you don't risk burning your motherboard's 24 pin socket because the cards pull too much from it and you can have 6 cards per rig if you go with something like an Asrock Pro BTC board.
The issue is I already have a large gpu hanging rig with  8 amd cards, I wanted to make a small case rig since these stay so cool and use so little power, does the extra 8 pin power on the motherboard I linked not help with this?

I see. I guess it does, however I'd only use cards which also have 6-pin sockets on them so they would draw most of the power from the PSU itself, instead of pulling up to 240W from the board.
An x1 PCI-E port can output 10W, a x16 PCI-E port can output 75W, same for 6-pin and a 8 pin can output 150W.

Not your keys, not your coins!
Eastwind

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 26, 2015, 03:46:16 PM

The issue is I already have a large gpu hanging rig with  8 amd cards, I wanted to make a small case rig since these stay so cool and use so little power, does the extra 8 pin power on the motherboard I linked not help with this?

Which motherboard can run 8 Amd cards? Do you mean 8 GPU?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: