Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:03:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BitPay.com is online  (Read 8976 times)
BitPay Business Solutions (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2012, 10:19:37 PM

We will get it fixed.  The right solution is a network of private servers with proxies and DDOS protection for everything.  This will take time to deploy properly.

For large merchants, we would consider installing their own instance of bitpay for their payment processing.  This is something we could offer as a premium service.

This has made us think of ways to make our service more decentralized and more robust.  I agree that someone is trying to attack bitcoin and slow down its rapid adoption.

If we can solve this attack issue, I think everyone will be glad it is now when we have 1,000 merchants and not a year from now when we have 10,000 or more and we're doing $1M/day in processing.

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
felipelalli

Activity: 229
Merit: 103

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 10:33:56 PM

This is REALLY crazy!!  Shocked
QuantumKiwi

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2012, 10:36:01 PM

Just heard from a source that a little monkey in paypal threw his toys out of his cott when bitpay hit 1,000 merchants.

Maybe you have a big pissed off billionaire paying some russian to ddos?

After seeing the 65gbps.. Far out, thats one impressive attack... And its not a normal attack...?

Starting your own website?
CLOUD Hosting from $4.95/0.05BTC!
jfreak53

Activity: 298
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2012, 10:38:03 PM

After seeing the 65gbps.. Far out, thats one impressive attack... And its not a normal attack...?

A normal attack is about 10 Wink Maybe 20 if they hate you with a passion only an ex-lover could muster up Wink

█ █ microtronixdc.com - Performance VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation, Full-Rack options!
Massive Network Bandwidth options with Fiber throughout! Always-On DDoS Mitigation for all traffic!
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 10:39:47 PM

Is $20/min accurate for what it would cost to buy a DDoS of this scale?
jfreak53

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2012, 10:43:57 PM

No more, if I remember right the article said something around $30 for 30 seconds. So $60 a min. would be more like it if that is correct. But if your buying 4 days worth they probably gave them a discount Wink ha ha ha

█ █ microtronixdc.com - Performance VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation, Full-Rack options!
Massive Network Bandwidth options with Fiber throughout! Always-On DDoS Mitigation for all traffic!
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 10:47:00 PM

Is $20/min accurate for what it would cost to buy a DDoS of this scale?
It depends.  Reading the cloudflare article, it appears as though there are ways to DDOS that are [virtually] free, one of which is DNS reflection.  If DNS reflection is used heavily in this case, it might be relatively cheap to keep the DDOS going.

My personal suspicion is that it is a ransom (despite bitpay's statement to the contrary), just because the timing is too coincidental with the walletbit DDOS.  The DDOS's on both started at the same time.

One user in the comments who claims familiarity with botnets says a typical rental rate for one of this size might be $1/second. (he specifically mentions $30/30 seconds).
jfreak53

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2012, 10:49:43 PM

That's what it was! Sorry, I knew I read it somewhere, just for looking:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/study-finds-the-average-price-for-renting-a-botnet/6528

jfreak53

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2012, 10:53:22 PM

Just as a said note, I bet if the botter is not a large corp, I bet their paying in bitcoin's for the service ha ha ha ha ha

jfreak53

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2012, 12:10:11 AM

So I know you said that the HTTP Auth was the only thing that needed to be changed, but it's not. We changed that and no matter what we change we always get echoed back out the CloudFlare checking your browser page. So it won't let us past cloudflare to get to the API.

BitPay Business Solutions (OP)

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2012, 12:29:17 AM

So I know you said that the HTTP Auth was the only thing that needed to be changed, but it's not. We changed that and no matter what we change we always get echoed back out the CloudFlare checking your browser page. So it won't let us past cloudflare to get to the API.

yeah that's the challenge screen.

email support@bitpay.com so my partner and CTO Steve can look into it.  There may be other changes needed, I am not 100% sure. 

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
jfreak53

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2012, 12:33:28 AM

I think curl needs the redirect option but it wasn't working for us either :S I'll email then now. Thanks.

osoverflow

Activity: 547
Merit: 105

Bitcoin ya no es el futuro, es el presente

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2012, 06:21:40 AM

well bitpay is online again Smiley

Bienvenidos a la nueva tecnología
zhalox

Activity: 176
Merit: 106

XMR = BTC in 2010. Rise chikun.

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 11:56:13 AM

CloudFlare says the website is offline again.  I cannot view my invoice Sad

philips

Activity: 700

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 12:12:08 PM

Working for the moment. I was able to pay for a Jalapeno  Smiley
Is the attack over or I was just being lucky?
jfreak53

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2012, 12:52:58 PM

Yeah it seems to be working now. We ended up not only having to add the http Auth part but remove any reference to port 8443 from our module. Problem being is as of right now Steve has to allow any server IP access for it to work so it seem's. But it is working just great right now.

jga

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

http://btcgear.com

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2012, 09:26:12 PM

I updated the OpenCart module code to restore functionality, so those with opencarts should check out this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=110690.0

Bitcoin simplified. - a new, simpler Bitcoin guide.
Bitcoin Hats and the newest styles from GUNNAR Optiks on sale now at BTC Gear.
cablepair

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2012, 09:57:46 PM

I updated the OpenCart module code to restore functionality, so those with opencarts should check out this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=110690.0

this did NOT work for me

I have since  had to take tens of thousands of dollars in transactions manually

and have offered a 50BTC  bounty for someone to develop an opencart plugin that would interact directly with Bitcoind

I am sure something like this could be very simple to do, but it is beyond  my expertise.

jga

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

http://btcgear.com

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2012, 10:25:39 PM

this did NOT work for me

I have since  had to take tens of thousands of dollars in transactions manually

and have offered a 50BTC  bounty for someone to develop an opencart plugin that would interact directly with Bitcoind

I am sure something like this could be very simple to do, but it is beyond  my expertise.

This kinda makes it sound like MY extension made you do those transactions manually and not BitPay's service outage.    Undecided

I've been working on a bitcoind OpenCart extension. The trick is the server-side bitcoind implementation. Even if someone makes an extension, there will be some server-specific bitcoind setup required, so it won't be a simple FTP and done install. Now that I know there's a bounty on it, I might speed up my development efforts.

Bitcoin simplified. - a new, simpler Bitcoin guide.
Bitcoin Hats and the newest styles from GUNNAR Optiks on sale now at BTC Gear.
cablepair

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2012, 10:40:11 PM

I think I got your patched open cart extension "working"

I did a test transaction, and send the coins - although I have not seen the coins show up in my bit-pay account yet. hopefully I am not out these coins.

Transaction ID: f5cf1ad733e935232d920e4033ee447ffb74e37a36750e06bff631e90988f1be

As far as an opencart / bitcoind extension this is something that is really needed my friend.

and who needs a simply ftp and done install?

I have setup, modified, and transacted thousands of bitcoins in transactions with that very primitive zencart module that has been around forever

git://github.com/jalder/Zen-Cart-Bitcoin-Payment-Module.git

Yes we all love Bitpay (too much apparently)

but we really really really need a way to be able to conduct retail transactions with Bitcoin without being dependent on a third party
and I am SURE this is the way Satoshi wanted it. To be able to conduct these transactions on our own without being dependent on anyone else...

think about it bro.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: