Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:45:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The pirate speaks  (Read 12927 times)
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 04:20:04 AM

I almost feel bad about having principles and not taking advantage of all these idiots. This guy is playing the Ponzi scam book line by line. This is so easy it's insane.

Go ahead try it.  I think you will fail.  It's not easy.  In fact it looks like it was difficult.  If pirateat40 was running a ponzi I don't think his return on effort was all that much.  And his return gets worse as time passes.

Classic Ponzi schemes have a negative return on effort.

• Bernie Madoff worked for full time for 20 years on his business and recovered nothing.  His son killed himself and he got a 150 year prison sentence.
  • Charles Ponzi work full time on his business for 2 years and recovered nothing.  He spent 14 years in prision and was then deported to Italy.  He died in poverty.

It was easy for them as well, but they had to face very concrete charges. They dealt in person, they were very well known and easy to find.

Pirate has to deal mostly with internet warriors who won't do anything at all.

I don't do it for the same reason I don't rob grannies or little children regardless how easy it might be: having a minimum of decency.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2012, 04:24:32 AM

I almost feel bad about having principles and not taking advantage of all these idiots. This guy is playing the Ponzi scam book line by line. This is so easy it's insane.

Go ahead try it.  I think you will fail.  It's not easy.  In fact it looks like it was difficult.  If pirateat40 was running a ponzi I don't think his return on effort was all that much.  And his return gets worse as time passes.

Classic Ponzi schemes have a negative return on effort.

• Bernie Madoff worked for full time for 20 years on his business and recovered nothing.  His son killed himself and he got a 150 year prison sentence.
  • Charles Ponzi work full time on his business for 2 years and recovered nothing.  He spent 14 years in prision and was then deported to Italy.  He died in poverty.

It was easy for them as well, but they had to face very concrete charges. They dealt in person, they were very well known and easy to find.

Pirate has to deal mostly with internet warriors who won't do anything at all.

I don't do it for the same reason I don't rob grannies or little children regardless how easy it might be: having a minimum of decency.

The internet is great for psycopaths.

repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 09:55:46 AM

Oh man, can you imagine explaining this to a jury?  Even pro se, pirate could tear it apart.

I'd be very wary of any lawyer who planned on taking this to trial unless they first established that pirate has sufficient assets to satisfy both any judgement being sought and any award of costs.  No-one's going to take this on contingency, so the plaintiffs would have to front all of the costs of any legal action and hope to hell that they prevail in court and that they're able to enforce any judgement in their favour.  A judgement that can't be enforced is just an expensive piece of paper.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 10:12:29 AM

Ooh!  Yes, that is a contract.  It's even signed!  Yes, gpg/pgp signing counts in the US.

No, it doesn't.  Non-repudiation based on PGP or other asymmetric key signatures has not been tested in US courts.

What a better time to test it then now? Smiley

Oh man, can you imagine explaining this to a jury?  Even pro se, pirate could tear it apart.

I'm starting to think you're nothing more than a wuss...
Grow some balls, dude.
exahash

Activity: 278
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 01:36:29 PM

Ooh!  Yes, that is a contract.  It's even signed!  Yes, gpg/pgp signing counts in the US.

No, it doesn't.  Non-repudiation based on PGP or other asymmetric key signatures has not been tested in US courts.

What a better time to test it then now? Smiley

I'm starting to think you're nothing more than a wuss...
Grow some balls, dude.

At a minimum, he's not very good at playing Internet Lawyer.

Yes, it counts as a contract, and digital signatures count as signatures.  Google the ESign act and UETA.  Here, I did it for you:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_signature#Enforceability_of_electronic_signatures

dancingnancy

Activity: 661

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 01:51:22 PM

Didn't have time to read this whole mess.  Sounds plenty interesting, though.  At this point, I think contact needs to be made again towards his father to find out where Trendon is.  I didn't have a dime with this guy and I want to punch him in his vag.
exahash

Activity: 278
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 01:54:35 PM

Did you read that link you posted?

Do you know how the US legal system works?  Case law?  Legal precedent?

The answer to your questions is Yes.

Troll on reeses.

Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2012, 02:02:50 PM

The gpg contract would be a good one to take to a  grand jury who have special investigatory powers. They can decide if its a criminal matter.

reeses
Donator

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

Assholier-than-thou retard magnet

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 03:16:01 PM

Did you read that link you posted?

Do you know how the US legal system works?  Case law?  Legal precedent?

The answer to your questions is Yes.

Troll on reeses.

You do realize those laws make these1 legal digital signatures, right?  So your answer of "yes" means that you are intentionally misleading.  If you know, you know if it has not been tested in court, then when it does finally become material in a court case, you're going to watch the EFF jump in to appeal it as far as they can, hopefully to SCOTUS.

So, I'm going with you lying when you say,"Yes."  Liars go to the ignore bin.  Nice attempt at a troll and a troll-block by the troll accusation, liar.

1. Love, /reeses/ or /s/ reeses.
reeses
Donator

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 03:30:50 PM

The gpg contract would be a good one to take to a  grand jury who have special investigatory powers. They can decide if its a criminal matter.

That's the problem.  It has to go to a jury.  Grand juries basically say,"Yeah, there's enough here to indict," but as the joke goes, they're filled with morons who couldn't get out of jury duty.

If you get a good judge, he can clarify the issues for the jury, but you'll have expert witnesses on both sides arguing over what is actually a minor issue.

Honestly, PGP signing a digital message isn't needed to pass the "reasonable" test.  In this day and age, if someone sent you an email from their address with the equivalent of a contract, it'll do.  Especially if there is corroborating evidence (other emails from the same source, etc.)

If it's one email that was never replied to or discussed, or the person shares a computer with their housemates, then the defendant has a good chance of claiming that they were not the person who sent that email.  However, with a number of emails over a long period of time, this assertive defense is more difficult to maintain.

Remember, there is rarely such a thing as "proof".  There's "evidence" and "beyond a reasonable doubt".  We like Occam's razor here, so this is an appropriate place where we would apply it.  "Your honor, someone hacked into this computer account for a period of six months and, unknown to my client, used it to send emails to nefarious ends."  As I said, it might work for one email, but if there is an exchange (especially if anything is left in the inbox) then it is reasonable to conclude that the legitimate owner of the account sent the emails, or was at least aware of them.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1063

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 03:32:55 PM

Reese it has been tested in court.  I found 38 notable court cases in the US related to the enforcement of "digital signatures" since 2005.  The actual number is probably significantly higher, the legal search tool I have access to has limited coverage.

Also under US law your signature above wouldn't be considered a digital signature in any of the 50 states.  It would be an "electronic signature".  Please cite a link that shows the EFF is opposed to the enforcement of digital signatures.
reeses
Donator

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 03:36:09 PM

Reese it has been tested in court.  I found 38 notable court cases in the US related to the enforcement of "digital signatures" since 2005.  The actual number is probably significantly higher, the legal search tool I have access to has limited coverage.

Also under US law your signature above wouldn't be considered a digital signature in any of the 50 states.  It would be an "electronic signature".  Please cite a link that shows the EFF is opposed to the enforcement of digital signatures.

I invite you to cite these 38 notable cases that refer to cryptographic signatures.
reeses
Donator

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 03:44:46 PM

Would love to see Pirate explain how he was hacked and did not know about ponzi and or scam for a year...

Pirate or non-Pirate (I won't get into whatever is going on there), a person would have a serious problem attempting to claim that they were not the originator of the email, because perjury is just another pain in the ass to deal with later.

It might work if you can use a Jedi Mind Trick to create a cloud of confusion and doubt over a few emails or forum posts with IP addresses in the headers.

However, honestly, if all you have is a couple emails, it's unlikely that it will even go to trial.  You would need to show financial transactions, a pattern of fraud, and the usual criminal evidentiary support of motive, opportunity, and intent.

Individual emails, and especially any PGP signing, are really quite immaterial.  If the case does in fact hinge on the emails, the prosecutor will either continue to investigate (if he or she believes there is a case), offer a plea, or refuse to litigate.
zaj

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 05:49:35 PM

just hope he starts paying out so we can all forget about this huge mess and go on with our lives.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 05:54:06 PM

just hope he starts paying out so we can all forget about this huge mess and go on with our lives.

+1
Blind

Activity: 235

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 06:36:04 PM

just hope he starts paying out

He will only pay if you make him to, don't count on good will.

Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem. -- Ronald Reagan
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  

Jump to: