Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:25:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Arduino and Mining  (Read 2366 times)
appleannie (OP)

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 01:44:57 PM

Hello,
I would like to develop a script miner using an Arduino board. I think it would be economical to continue using this method. My coding professor said that if I want to get everything right, the correct resistance, capacitance, and the right chip, I should use an Arduino board. My question to the community is what type of mining software would I use to mine with this?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 03:01:57 PM

Not sure if you're going anywhere good with Arduino... Maybe you can adapt a mining chip there, I don't know, as I'm not an hardware expert. As for software, cgminer is highly customizeable, and with some coding skills it can be adapted to other boards and chips. After all, cgminer and it's forks are able to power pretty much all miners in existence... Smiley
Ikron

Activity: 21

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 07:16:53 PM

BFGminer and CGminer are both the biggest mining softwares written in C and both are open sourced and readily available to download on github. But remember that depending on how you are designing your miner. The atmega328p can only handle so much data and limited memory that you will need a host computer to hook up.
Also at this point in time there isn't alot of development and availability of bare asic chips. You might want to look at Sfards for their development board to get started. I know that Sidehack and his team are getting very close to finishing their Gekkoscience boards based on the antminer bm1384 asic chip which looks absolutely amazing. I wouldn't discourage you but you have the community (both this and arduino) to help out.
The Young Turk
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1013

DAVID CHAUM's xx coin SALE IS NOW LIVE!

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 09:10:39 PM

If you can compile an existing miner such as Bfgminer, cgminer etc for Arduino then you're good to go.
But if you can't, then you need to code it in Arduino standards.

███████                   
                      ██████████                        ██       
                       ████████████                  ███       
                                ██████████           █████       
                                        ███████      ██████         
██████                  ███████     ████
████████                ██████     ██   
██████████        ████████           
███████████    █████████           
████████    ████████

███████    ████████       
              ██████    █████████████ 
          █████████      ███████████ 
      ███████████          █████████ 
██████████████                       
████████████████                       
███████      ████████████           
██████        ████████████           
████                ██████████           

.xx-coin.io.

DAVID CHAUM's xx coin SALE IS NOW LIVE!

MaxDZ8

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 05:55:12 AM

Arduino is not a compute-oriented system so I don't see this going anywhere.
Nonetheless, the Salsa passes in scrypt are known to be very ASIC friendly some parts of them can be done in analog since they're just shuffling the wires. Maybe you can set this as your first target.

In theory you could reduce the memory footprint till it fits your memory and use the analog Salsa'ers to compute what you don't have in memory.
It seems very interesting from a purely educational experience.

I'm not sure however where is the problem with the analog quantities. Scrypt is digital in nature.
appleannie (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 07:04:33 PM

If you can compile an existing miner such as Bfgminer, cgminer etc for Arduino then you're good to go.
But if you can't, then you need to code it in Arduino standards.

Wow, I did not think of buying a monitor for the arduino board. I was going to connect it to my laptop in the meantime. I have a board with a fan. This will keep it from overheating.
appleannie (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 07:14:44 PM

Arduino is not a compute-oriented system so I don't see this going anywhere.
Nonetheless, the Salsa passes in scrypt are known to be very ASIC friendly some parts of them can be done in analog since they're just shuffling the wires. Maybe you can set this as your first target.

In theory you could reduce the memory footprint till it fits your memory and use the analog Salsa'ers to compute what you don't have in memory.
It seems very interesting from a purely educational experience.

I'm not sure however where is the problem with the analog quantities. Scrypt is digital in nature.

This post has confused me very much. I would have never thought of using anything analog with this project. It is seemingly more difficult than first expected. However, I could use the extra money from making it work. So, I guess you can say that I am going to make a miner one way or another. I thought maybe script because it should take fewer miners to generate more coin. If you think the Sha256 code would work better with the Arduino, please do share.
Also, if you could share a link letting me know the Sha256 code you think is best to use. I am only in coding this term and we are not too far into it.
MaxDZ8

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 07:06:28 AM

Doing it fully digital on the microcontroller would be an exercise in futility and as a side note, against the objectives of the Arduino system.

You don't want to do scrypt as it has a whole load of memory to take care of - 128KiB.

Every time you see a rotate instruction in hashing that's equivalent to shuffling the wires.
Every time you see a "shuffle registers" section, that's equivalent to shuffling bundles of wires.

Because microcontrollers don't run generic operative systems compiling a generic miner will be problematic. Perhaps adapting them would be enough complicated to be a project in itself.

If you think you can make any money from it, you're better stop right now.

If you want to do scrypt do it. I cannot see how you're going to fit the 128KiB of scratchpad (I see from microcontroller data sheet you have 2KiB at most).
Do you want to do SHA256? That's easier.
appleannie (OP)

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 11:39:58 AM

Doing it fully digital on the microcontroller would be an exercise in futility and as a side note, against the objectives of the Arduino system.

You don't want to do scrypt as it has a whole load of memory to take care of - 128KiB.

Every time you see a rotate instruction in hashing that's equivalent to shuffling the wires.
Every time you see a "shuffle registers" section, that's equivalent to shuffling bundles of wires.

Because microcontrollers don't run generic operative systems compiling a generic miner will be problematic. Perhaps adapting them would be enough complicated to be a project in itself.

If you want to do scrypt do it. I cannot see how you're going to fit the 128KiB of scratchpad (I see from microcontroller data sheet you have 2KiB at most).

If you think SHA256 is easier, then I should indeed do SHA256. Do you think I should order the ATMega328P over the one with the Microprocessor. I am still undecided. Certainly glad I made this thread. I did not purchase the board yet. I can get 2 of the ATMega328P for every one with the Microcontroller.
I made this thread to get some help and suggestions for the community.
Thank you
MaxDZ8

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 02:16:42 PM

You should talk to your professor. If he talked about capacitance and such, odds are he might want something different from what you'll end up with.
appleannie (OP)

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 03:00:13 PM

You should talk to your professor. If he talked about capacitance and such, odds are he might want something different from what you'll end up with.
This is a personal project of mine. I am just wanting to start mining and generating a little bit of an extra income without the need for having 2 jobs. I am trying to find the code for the sha256 if you think this should be better. I just thought I would need way more of the arduino boards with the sha256 code included to generate a decent second income. I guess it really does not matter.
bit1
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 07:51:03 PM

You could try do software to support  POS wallets on Arduino like Rasperry pi does.You could to get more coins of this way.
bit1
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 07:53:32 PM

By the way please feel free of post on https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1104857.0  too.
appleannie (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 02:04:22 PM

You could try do software to support  POS wallets on Arduino like Rasperry pi does.You could to get more coins of this way.
How do you mean I will get way more coins this way?
bit1
Legendary

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 07:54:56 PM
Last edit: July 04, 2015, 08:43:10 PM by bit1

This is a personal project of mine. I am just wanting to start mining and generating a little bit of an extra income without the need for having 2 jobs. I am trying to find the code for the sha256 if you think this should be better. I just thought I would need way more of the arduino boards with the sha256 code included to generate a decent second income. I guess it really does not matter.

You could try do software to support  POS wallets on Arduino like Rasperry pi does.You could to get more coins of this way.
How do you mean I will get way more coins this way?

I just say that it is already done to Rasperry Pi(You can stake POS coins)  instead off mining POW coins.

But if  you are thinking use Arduino how personal project it is really good.
bit1
Legendary

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 09:12:43 PM
Last edit: July 06, 2015, 03:45:30 AM by bit1

If you think SHA256 is easier, then I should indeed do SHA256. Do you think I should order the ATMega328P over the one with the Microprocessor. I am still undecided. Certainly glad I made this thread. I did not purchase the board yet. I can get 2 of the ATMega328P for every one with the Microcontroller.
I made this thread to get some help and suggestions for the community.
Thank you

You could do a comparison with  Arduino TRE with Atmel ATmega32u4..................
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: