View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
astrobitcoin

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 08:38:27 PM

you are saying that you created a bitcoin address from a wallet like electrum and then you find out that there are bitcoins on it?!
Lauda (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2015, 08:39:48 PM

I've created a new address using the latest Bitcoin Core client. A few seconds after I generated it, I went to blockchain.info and pasted it there.
The address that I linked is the one that I have generated today (minutes ago).

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 08:43:24 PM

This seems very unlikely, however, there are a few scenarios where you could create a situation that would have this result.

Some questions:

Is this a brand new Bitcoin Core wallet that you just installed, or did you recover this wallet.dat from somewhere?  If you had recovered this wallet.dat from somewhere, then this address might have been used from the same wallet.dat AFTER the backup was created.  As such, when the backup was recovered, it is possible that the transaction was forgotten about.

Are you (or anyone else) using the same wallet.dat in multiple Bitcoin Core wallets?  If you created a copy of this wallet.dat and ran a second instance of the Bitcoin Core wallet on some other computer (or some other session on the same computer), then the other instance of the wallet may have pulled this address from its pool already, and now this instance is jsut getting around to pulling the same address from the address pool in the wallet.dat.

What operating system are you using, and what version of that operating system?  It is possible that the random number generator of the operating system that you are using is faulty (or compromised) and that it is not generating actual random numbers.  As such, if someone else is using the same faulty (or compromised) operating system, then they could generate the same address.

Are you certain that you copied and pasted the correct address?  Perhaps the copy failed, and you pasted a previous address that was still in your computer's clipboard.  If the address actually received bitcoins yesterday, then they should be added to your balance now.  Did the balance on the wallet increase?

Can you run:

Code:
listunspent

in the console of your Bitcoin Core wallet?  Does that address (and transaction ouput) show up there?
yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 08:45:44 PM

I've created a new address using the latest Bitcoin Core client. A few seconds after I generated it, I went to blockchain.info and pasted it there.

An address collision would be extremely unlikely...

The most reasonable assumption would be a bug on blockchain.info. This assumption is confirmed by using blockexplorer: https://blockexplorer.com/address/13EQZzdrBdHciQSg8bGfNr2YnTV9H1Bjmy

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
AgentofCoin
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 08:48:04 PM

The most reasonable assumption would be a bug on blockchain.info. This assumption is confirmed by using blockexplorer: https://blockexplorer.com/address/13EQZzdrBdHciQSg8bGfNr2YnTV9H1Bjmy

ya.ya.yo!

It exists in blockr.io though.
http://btc.blockr.io/address/info/13EQZzdrBdHciQSg8bGfNr2YnTV9H1Bjmy

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
Request a signed message if you are associating with anyone claiming to be me.
Lauda (OP)
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2015, 08:49:31 PM
Last edit: June 30, 2015, 09:05:09 PM by LaudaM

This seems very unlikely, however, there are a few scenarios where you could create a situation that would have this result.
-snip-

Actually about 3 months ago I used vanitygen to generate an address 1LaudaexFYZano87acDNGscmqDbM3ZTLBD which I've used to sign a message for this account. So this is a pretty new wallet (time wise), and I've been using it pretty much every day.
Nobody is using the same wallet.dat, nor has anybody access to my computer or the files. Besides the wallet is encrypted.

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit with the latest updates to date. Also for the record, I was able to extract the private key from that address (my balance did not increase even though the address has 0.179 BTC).

This is very strange. So basically we have 2 explorers that are showing the address with a balance and 1 that shows it without.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
kingcolex

Activity: 254
Merit: 1258

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 08:52:55 PM

-snip-

Actually about 3 months ago I used vanitygen to generate an address 1LaudaexFYZano87acDNGscmqDbM3ZTLBD which I've used to sign a message for this account. So this is a pretty new wallet (time wise), and I've been using it pretty much every day.
Nobody is using the same wallet.dat, nor has anybody access to my computer or the files. Besides the wallet is encrypted.

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit with the latest updates to date. Also for the record, I was able to extract the private key from that address (my balance did not increase even though the address has 0.179 BTC).

ya.ya.yo!
Maybe those two explores are using the same method to extract the blockchain data and the method they are using is giving an error with that address. This is all a guess I am pretty caught off guard by this.
This is very strange. So basically we have 2 explorers that are showing the address with a balance and 1 that shows it without.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 08:53:36 PM

ya.ya.yo!

This is not strange at all.

blockexplorer is not up to date.  If you look at their main page, the last block that they have processed is block #358999.  This transaction was confirmed in block #363102.
Lauda (OP)
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2015, 08:57:17 PM

Okay, I've verified that there is no copying mistake. I've verified multiple times and I'm going to try importing that address into another system using electrum.
-snip-
Are you certain that you copied and pasted the correct address?  Perhaps the copy failed, and you pasted a previous address that was still in your computer's clipboard.  If the address actually received bitcoins yesterday, then they should be added to your balance now.  Did the balance on the wallet increase?
Can you run:
in the console of your Bitcoin Core wallet?  Does that address (and transaction ouput) show up there?

blockexplorer is not up to date.  If you look at their main page, the last block that they have processed is block #358999.  This transaction was confirmed in block #363102.
I did not check that.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 08:58:19 PM

ya.ya.yo!

blockexplorer is not up to date.  If you look at their main page, the last block that they have processed is block #358999.  This transaction was confirmed in block #363102.

Oh.. I didn't check this. In this case I have no idea what could be the reason...

But if it were an address collision... it would most definitely be a once-in-a-lifetime event. Cheesy

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
AgentofCoin
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 09:04:00 PM

This might be an extremely stupid question, but:
are you sure you did not generate this address yesterday and send that transaction?

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
Lauda (OP)
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2015, 09:06:14 PM
Last edit: June 30, 2015, 09:26:02 PM by LaudaM

are you sure you did not generate this address yesterday and send that transaction?
Well one can never be sure with his own memory but:
1) I do not recall using the wallet yesterday aside from sending a payment to someone
2) It doesn't show up in the transactions
3) I don't recognize the address that sent the Bitcoins to this one either; 

Also I was able to successfully import the address into Electrum and the balance has showed up.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
AgentofCoin
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 09:10:18 PM

1) I do not recall using the wallet yesterday
3) I don't recognize the address that sent the Bitcoins to this one either

Also I was able to successfully import the address into Electrum and the balance  has showed up.

Just had to ask, before the experts come in and start analyzing your wallet program.

It is just too weird that it (the suspect address) was just used yesterday. That's why I think it is not a collision.

Edit: added (the suspect address)

DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 09:23:07 PM

Can you please run:

Code:
dumpprivkey 1A6oHPNxfwbD897u9k5ehUrcGYLJzn8YFX

And see if your wallet has the private key for that address?

DO NOT SHARE the private key with ANYBODY, just let us know if the wallet finds one or not.
kingcolex

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 09:25:07 PM

1) I do not recall using the wallet yesterday aside from sending a payment to someone
3) I don't recognize the address that sent the Bitcoins to this one either

Also I was able to successfully import the address into Electrum and the balance has showed up.
What version of electrum Core are you using and possibly they have a bad generation method going on that needs to be updated and fixed asap? Maybe a bug slipped by, I just can't see a random collision especially this early in bitcoins life and the recent activity.

You said the latest but that does include beta builds?

Looks like Bitcoin.org has Latest version: 0.10.2
and github has 0.11

Which one are you using?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 09:26:33 PM

By the way, in the future when you want to assistance with something like this, I suggest that you create a "self-moderated" thread.  That way you can keep the conversation on track and delete all the nonsense posts from people that aren't paying attention to what you are saying.
Lauda (OP)
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2015, 09:31:55 PM

By the way, in the future when you want to assistance with something like this, I suggest that you create a "self-moderated" thread.  That way you can keep the conversation on track and delete all the nonsense posts from people that aren't paying attention to what you are saying.
I've realized that a bit too late.

Code:
Well I've posted without doing enough research myself, unfortunately. That address is mine, and I've just realized this. I'm the one that sent the 0.12 BTC last night, however the times do not match because of time zones (probably) and that got me confused.
However, this still doesn't explain why the 0.179 went to an address that I've generated 1 hour ago? Could there be a bug in Bitcoin Core so that it had stopped showing the address temporarily or while upgrading from 0.9.x to 0.10.2?

This rules out an address collision.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
kingcolex

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 09:34:26 PM

I've realized that a bit too late.

Code:
Well I've posted without doing enough research myself, unfortunately. That address is mine, and I've just realized this. I'm the one that sent the 0.12 BTC last night, however the times do not match because of time zones (probably) and that got me confused.
However, this still doesn't explain why the 0.179 went to an address that I've generated 1 hour ago?

This rules out an address collision.
So if you sent the coin last night, what address did you send it to? Since the current address was just generated 1 hour ago? What happened to last nights transaction, is it on the blockchain?
Lauda (OP)
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2015, 09:36:55 PM

So if you sent the coin last night, what address did you send it to? Since the current address was just generated 1 hour ago? What happened to last nights transaction, is it on the blockchain?
I guess emotions made me make a thread before actually doing enough research myself. I could have spared others some time, I'm sorry.

Essentially the remaining balance last night went to: https://blockchain.info/address/13EQZzdrBdHciQSg8bGfNr2YnTV9H1Bjmy
however, I have generated that address about 1 hour and 10 minutes ago.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: