Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 02:25:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How would you tell kids about bitcoin?  (Read 4079 times)
hmblm1245

Activity: 628
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 01:03:43 AM

Same way any FIAT currency.
CEG5952

Activity: 658

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 03:15:30 AM

How exactly the same way? Like you hand them a dollar and tell them to buy something on a convenience store or spend it on amusement parks? I don't think bitcoin works that way.

Bitware

Activity: 926
Merit: 1001

weaving spiders come not here

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 04:24:37 AM

I would do it in parallel to teaching them the value of fiat money, finance, economics, managing money, balancing a checkbook, etc. I'd pay them half their "pay" for their "work" in bitcoin and half in fiat.
dollarneed

Activity: 742

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 04:58:09 AM

How exactly the same way? Like you hand them a dollar and tell them to buy something on a convenience store or spend it on amusement parks? I don't think bitcoin works that way.

yup i think Its totally diferent when we hold bitcoin than fiat as we know that bitcoin is volatile and thats why we should teach our kids about bitcoin how it works and how to manage it but it the same way bitcoin and fiat is from their function yup as a payment.
zecexe

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 05:44:27 AM

One of the best way to introduce Bitocin to kids, you have to show them how to set up a Bitcoin wallet and handle payments, both receiving and sending. Then,let them explore by themselves.
rivoke
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 06:35:05 AM

First , we must our kid know how to trade with our local money ,they understand how to use internet , and understand basic math. Try to introduce them with some animation because explain through  animation will more efficient rather than explain with word. If they got interest, then we can explain more advance more how to make a wallet, transaction , etc.
IMO it's a bit hard to teach children because they're still lack of concentration. But at least, we have early introduce what bitcoin is...
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 07:49:03 AM

One of the best way to introduce Bitocin to kids, you have to show them how to set up a Bitcoin wallet and handle payments, both receiving and sending. Then,let them explore by themselves.

better to do this with a small amount, they could screw something

i think you do it in the same way you teach them how a credit/debit card work, you can tell them that iban is the address and that the reciever must know this address, then you send money in the same way, using your client as if it was your bank account
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 09:33:47 AM

How would you explain bitcoin to a kid?

"A multi-player server on the wildly popular video game Minecraft has introduced bitcoin to its world as a way of teaching children about digital currency."
http://www.coindesk.com/kid-friendly-minecraft-server-launches-bitcoin-economy/

If you are invited to give a speech about bitcoin to school kids, how would you introduce bitcoin?

Hello, boys and girls, mostly the cute-looking boys. My name's Bruno. I was invited by your teacher to give a talk on Bitcoin today. Most of yous probably never heard of Bitcoin so, with a show of hands, how many of yous have heard of My Little Pony? Great! Looks like everybody has which will make my task at hand that much easier.

Now, yous all know Pinkie Pie, right? Great! Okay, now click the following link on your computer: ATTENTION BITCOIN BBS. The cute boy in the back of the room with them big ears, please read the post aloud to the class while I pet the goat atop this here covered coffee table of which I'll uncover after Cutie Pie is finished reading.

"What the hell is Big Ears reading, and where does the goat fit in all this?"
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 09:34:39 AM

i think telling kids about bitcoin and how to secure it might be much harder than explaining cash to them.

but it mainly depends on what age your kid has, i think if they are past the early ages and have the minimal understanding of the cash concept then you can introduce them to bitcoin and how to set up a wallet and spend it.

and i think the best way for introduction is through a game that they can earn it like points in other games and spend it.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
bornil267645

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2015, 09:45:38 AM

I don't think I would want to expose my kids to crypto this early. I would wait for them to understand the value of money. That would take a while. And when they do, i will buy them a PS with bitcoin and xplain it to them. Cheesy

fryarminer

Activity: 686

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 05:52:59 AM

I think it's the other way around:

"Well son, when I was your age we had physical pieces of paper and heavy metal disks that we attributed value to. You filled your pockets with this stuff and had leather wallets to put the paper in so it wouldn't get lost. The papers had numbers on them and that was the value we gave them. 100, 50, 20, all the way down to 1. The disks were fractions of the 1, we called them cents.
Then you would hand over a ton of that paper or metal disks and get stuff like bread and milk from people that believed that that paper was worth something.
Then they came out with plastic cards that virtually moved that paper stuff from bank to bank, but they would also monitor your purchases and tell the big companies what you liked to buy so you could be targeted for advertisements.
Now we have Bitcoin. But back in the day the people who believed that the metal disks and paper had value didn't believe that Bitcoin had any value, so they preferred to continue bartering with paper and metal."

lorylore
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 12:32:11 PM

Keep it simple, bitcoin is a form of money that can be exchanged for goods and services.
Monopoly money for grown ups, only it's imaginary and anyone in the world can steal it.
DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 12:40:22 PM

I would not tell at all.
It's already hard to explain it to a non-tech adult, needless to say that it would be a mess to explain such thing to a common child.

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
zeraTunerse

Activity: 546

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 02:35:26 PM

But the situation is that kids are teaching elders and making aware them about the bitcoins lolz  Grin Many teenagers are involved into bitcoins and are holding bitcoins and spending it for shopping. So I think kids are introducing bitcoins to older generation  Grin Grin
wearepoor

Activity: 784

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 05:43:52 PM

I don't think I would want to expose my kids to crypto this early. I would wait for them to understand the value of money. That would take a while. And when they do, i will buy them a PS with bitcoin and xplain it to them. Cheesy

Very true. I think it would be too early to introduce bitcoins to the kids. As they are not matured enough and what if they keep on spending without knowing the value of bitcoins. It could be the financial loss to us as they don't the value of money.
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1252

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 06:05:32 PM

I would not tell at all.
It's already hard to explain it to a non-tech adult, needless to say that it would be a mess to explain such thing to a common child.

This. I wouldn't try to explain them, if I had any kids, I would wait until they are at least teens and already know how to use the basics of a computer.
In anyway, in the next generations once Bitcoin is mainstream, the kids will grow up naturally knowing how to use it, we will not need to teach them, it's like smartphones, they just know what to do with them intuitively.
commandrix

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 06:15:30 PM

Just teach them about Bitcoin the way you'd teach them good money handling skills. I think somebody already mentioned giving it to them as an allowance, which is an OK idea. A better one would be to give them a little Bitcoin for successfully completing chores. Have a list of chores you want done and how much Bitcoin you're willing to give them for each one, and they can pick and choose. Just don't get mad if not all of the chores are chosen as long as they're completing the ones they do choose. Then they can buy things with their Bitcoin or save it up for something big that they've been wanting. And don't be surprised if they buy a Domino's gift card on Gyft and then ask if they can get pizza for dinner tonight. Saves you having to cook.
hunnaryb

Activity: 506

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 06:58:21 PM

I would not tell at all.

This. I wouldn't try to explain them, if I had any kids, I would wait until they are at least teens and already know how to use the basics of a computer.
In anyway, in the next generations once Bitcoin is mainstream, the kids will grow up naturally knowing how to use it, we will not need to teach them, it's like smartphones, they just know what to do with them intuitively.

Yeah in the same way when internet came into existence and we started to learn it and use it and our parents were not at all interested in learning it. But today everyone uses it even the older generation as internet has became the necessity same will go with bitcoins in future.

▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇

fryarminer

Activity: 686

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 09:47:29 PM

But the situation is that kids are teaching elders and making aware them about the bitcoins lolz  Grin Many teenagers are involved into bitcoins and are holding bitcoins and spending it for shopping. So I think kids are introducing bitcoins to older generation  Grin Grin

Exactly. It's easy for kids to understand. We are the ones who are slow with tech.
Falconer
Legendary

Activity: 2520
Merit: 1126

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 06:48:51 AM

Exactly. It's easy for kids to understand. We are the ones who are slow with tech.

Kids only understand about something that can give pleasure for them like video game or online game, not whole technology. Then what do you think if they get into bitcoin world with the fluctuation price, chart, blockchain, transaction, etc. It will make them feel bored, and don't want to know anymore about it.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████