Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:38:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Puerto Rico Bankruptcy  (Read 1449 times)
EternalWingsofGod (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 07:58:32 AM

Since there are a lot of topics on Greek Bankruptcy, it does seem fair to at least have one for Puerto Rico as it is passing under the radar, even the USA has been mentioning how Greece won't really impact them but have failed to mention Puerto Rico.

Puerto Rico’s Governor Says Island’s Debts Are ‘Not Payable’
http://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2015/06/30/puerto-rico-wants-bondholders-to-postpone-debt-payments
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/29/business/dealbook/puerto-ricos-governor-says-islands-debts-are-not-payable.html

Puerto Rico’s governor, saying he needs to pull the island out of a “death spiral,” has concluded that the commonwealth cannot pay its roughly $72 billion in debts, an admission that will probably have wide-reaching financial repercussions.

The governor, Alejandro García Padilla, and senior members of his staff said in an interview last week that they would probably seek significant concessions from as many as all of the island’s creditors, which could include deferring some debt payments for as long as five years or extending the timetable for repayment.

“The debt is not payable,” Mr. García Padilla said. “There is no other option. I would love to have an easier option. This is not politics, this is math.”

A broad restructuring by Puerto Rico sets the stage for an unprecedented test of the United States municipal bond market, which cities and states rely on to pay for their most basic needs, like road construction and public hospitals.

---
If Puerto Rico were considered a developing country, it would be the eighth most heavily indebted country in the world.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
btcwholesale

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 08:51:43 AM

I am a puertorican and this look ugly. I hope that with the new law to use medical cannabis for patience could help us a lot with employement and change the way of thinking.
I know Puerto Rico will get up of this one and come more powerfull then ever, if there comes some USA investor they can create a lot of opportunities for puertoricans with a 14% of unemployment maybe some investor can bring work to here and make everybody have jobs and be happy with their lives.
Puertorrican are trying to live a rich lifestyle with a $7.25  minimun wage. Its insane to live by that minimun wage with a 11.5% on ivu

Conclusion Puerto Rico its fucked up but will get up from this in less than 10 years
adzino
Copper Member

Activity: 2968
Merit: 574

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 09:24:01 AM

This is more about Greece. But I think it applies to Puerto Rico as well because the same greedy, corrupt and powerful intl banks are involved....

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
HarHarHar9965

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 03:29:42 PM

Puerto Rico’s governor, saying he needs to pull the island out of a “death spiral,” has concluded that the commonwealth cannot pay its roughly $72 billion in debts, an admission that will probably have wide-reaching financial repercussions.

The tax revenue is going to pay off old debts, it is not going to provide current services. Thus the more of your budget that you dedicate to debt repayment, the worse the value proposition that you are delivering to your territory's residents and businesses. The harder Puerto Rico squeezes, in  the more its economy suffers. But the more the Puerto Rican economy suffers, the harder it is for Puerto Rico to pay back its debts. In other words: death spiral.
mrhelpful
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 04:53:15 PM

They need some sort of bail out form and if bitcoin was looked as a universal debt coin this would be actually okay.

So the meaning of value automatically changes, and 1 btc stood for is 1,000 in that foreign currencys value in that currences debt or something.
techgeek

Activity: 826

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 05:44:30 PM

This is more about Greece. But I think it applies to Puerto Rico as well because the same greedy, corrupt and powerful intl banks are involved....

True, which is why the US also saw something back in 2008.

And then the whole international banks took into effect after that incident, its something really we cant stop. Its our very nature.

ThEmporium

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 05:46:23 PM

It is really sad to hear what is happening to few countries in the world, one by one falling down to crisis, still Greece crisis have not been resolved and yet another crisis on the way for Puerto Rico. Any chance that Bitcoin option will change their financial strategy ?
oblivi

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 05:59:57 PM

The situation in Puerto Rico is way worse than Greece actually, but since Puerto Rico is some place in south america no one seems to care. Greece is in a very bad situation don't get me wrong, but they getting all the press because they are Europeans.
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 07:12:24 PM

if there comes some USA investor they can create a lot of opportunities for puertoricans

Unfortunately my friend, when you have money to invest, you stay away from places like Greece, Puerto Rico or Argentina. I'm saying it bluntly, but if you want to save money for retirement, as most investors want, it's much better to invest in London or Switzerland.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 11:29:57 PM

The situation in Puerto Rico is way worse than Greece actually, but since Puerto Rico is some place in south america no one seems to care. Greece is in a very bad situation don't get me wrong, but they getting all the press because they are Europeans.

Puerto Rico is not in South America. It is located 1,660 km from Miami. It is part of the United States (a territory to be specific). People born in Puerto Rico are U.S. citizens.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Zorrocoin

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 02:41:06 PM

Since there are a lot of topics on Greek Bankruptcy, it does seem fair to at least have one for Puerto Rico as it is passing under the radar, even the USA has been mentioning how Greece won't really impact them but have failed to mention Puerto Rico.

http://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2015/06/30/puerto-rico-wants-bondholders-to-postpone-debt-payments
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/29/business/dealbook/puerto-ricos-governor-says-islands-debts-are-not-payable.html

The governor, Alejandro García Padilla, and senior members of his staff said in an interview last week that they would probably seek significant concessions from as many as all of the island’s creditors, which could include deferring some debt payments for as long as five years or extending the timetable for repayment.

“The debt is not payable,” Mr. García Padilla said. “There is no other option. I would love to have an easier option. This is not politics, this is math.”

A broad restructuring by Puerto Rico sets the stage for an unprecedented test of the United States municipal bond market, which cities and states rely on to pay for their most basic needs, like road construction and public hospitals.

---
If Puerto Rico were considered a developing country, it would be the eighth most heavily indebted country in the world.

Nice article. Although Peurto Ricans are stuck in a downward spiral. No matter what they do something falls apart. The more they try to return debts the more economy suffers and the more they try to redeem the economy the more the magnitude of debts increase. Basically they are in a bad loophole.

Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2015, 03:46:02 PM

I am a puertorican and this look ugly. I hope that with the new law to use medical cannabis for patience could help us a lot with employement and change the way of thinking.
I know Puerto Rico will get up of this one and come more powerfull then ever, if there comes some USA investor they can create a lot of opportunities for puertoricans with a 14% of unemployment maybe some investor can bring work to here and make everybody have jobs and be happy with their lives.
Puertorrican are trying to live a rich lifestyle with a $7.25  minimun wage. Its insane to live by that minimun wage with a 11.5% on ivu

Conclusion Puerto Rico its fucked up but will get up from this in less than 10 years

This is a really interesting point. I wonder if these government bankruptcies may open the door for legalization of more previously illegal activities to allow for more tax revenue to come in to cover debts.

One this if for sure...Governments need stop spending.

Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 03:55:30 PM

So you seriously think that 'high' minimum wage is the root of this crisis? I would think it is the other way around. High minimum wages help the economy, not creates debt, people have more money to spend for more goods, not just basic products and foods. It is the motor of the economy growth when you can buy luxury goods. People are spending more money to boost local economy. This type of multi billion debt is not caused by wages.
greBit

Activity: 714

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 04:46:50 PM

---

Nice article. Although Peurto Ricans are stuck in a downward spiral. No matter what they do something falls apart. The more they try to return debts the more economy suffers and the more they try to redeem the economy the more the magnitude of debts increase. Basically they are in a bad loophole.

I think that could be prevented with important decisions to be made, strict steps to be taken and shitty situations could be avoided... That's how you close that motherfucking loophole, put a band aid over the damage and let it heal. Once the bruises are healed, you flex up with hard work and start working out the economy again like it should. Like a boss Wink
manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 05:25:37 PM

Puerto Rico is not in South America. It is located 1,660 km from Miami. It is part of the United States (a territory to be specific). People born in Puerto Rico are U.S. citizens.

True, but also true that countries like PR get a sort of "south american" treatment. It's like the countries in south europe, they get disrespected by the elites and then we have a Greece incident popping.
OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 06:42:47 PM

There are many differences between the situations in Greece and Puerto Rico, but many similarities:

Both are severely indebted.

Both will need substantial restructuring, both of their debts (means creditors getting less) and their .gov spending.

Both will have many difficult days ahead...

Those of us who are not in Greece or Puerto Rico can start learning lessons.  Saving money, outside of the banks, is just safe!  Save some in CA$H (outside of the banks), some in BTC and some in gold.  

In addition, it is important to read the news and stay on top of financial developments.  And be prepared to act.  It can happen here, nothing is impossible.
tyz
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1530

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 07:34:16 PM

it is not only Greece and Puerto Rico. You can also open a thread for a upcoming insolvency of Venezuela and Ukraine or the likely stock exchange crash in China, which alltogether could cause a perfect storm for the global economy.
needFREElunch

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Hi

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 08:24:19 PM

Puerto Rico ,is under the debt and the tax revenue is paying off the debt . Not performing its current function lately,the money of people who are giving tax is  going to a dead end. People live at 7.25$ minimum wage , and now the debt. I hope things go all right with Rico.

greBit

Activity: 714

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 12:53:37 PM

Puerto Rico ,is under the debt and the tax revenue is paying off the debt . Not performing its current function lately,the money of people who are giving tax is  going to a dead end. People live at 7.25$ minimum wage , and now the debt. I hope things go all right with Rico.

Sounds like a very fucked up situation. The problem is so less people think that Puerto Rico can be a capable country some day, because I believe it can. I was a little skeptical about their progress growth but I was in the country recently, and I found the lifestyle peaceful. They are just a little lazy, they need to overcome their flaws to overcome their troubles. Work harder, work better and get rid of that debt
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 08:11:55 PM

Politicians aka legalized criminals ignore facts until the get utterly fucking shit stomped by them.

See rome and every other civilzation, we will not be different.

Futhermore the average person would stop wipping their ass if Obama told them to.  Everyone just believes whatever their leaders say...  the can can be kicked for a long time.. the parade marched right at a cliff.. eventually that cliff comes and the parade just walks right off of it.

Everything will keep going EXACTLY the way it is until one day.. boom.
LeeMinHoa

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 28, 2017, 05:42:57 AM

the Puerto Rican senate held a series of hearings on prepa' s  fuel-purchasing irregularities,prepa got into severe financial trouble before the rest of
the puerto rican government, and it was unable to pay fuel in 2014. without the sort of leverage that can be exerted in bankruptcy.
JonahCallan

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 09:31:24 AM

Bankruptcy won't be an easy process. A judge still has to approve it. Many prominent Wall Street firms own Puerto Rico's bonds. They are angry about the bankruptcy filing because they fear now they won't get paid back all the money they are owed. The island's financial crisis is so bad that Congress installed a Fiscal Oversight Board to call the shots last year. The board stopped trying to negotiate with creditors this week and filed for bankruptcy.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: