Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:59:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can bitcoin really save Greece?  (Read 10368 times)
Borisz

Activity: 476
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 08:12:34 AM

Nah,  according to my opinion Bitcoin cannot save Greece and it's people.
I think that they probably won't even know about Bitcoin.

they know about it otherwise why they have installed an atm there for bitcoin?, this mena that a good % know about it, but the problem is that they have bigger issues to deal with at this moment, then investing in somethign with an uncertain future

when you are at risk, you don't take another risk to resolve the first one...

Well said. Deciding between two different and likely equally risky options is difficult. If I had cash on me in Greece (€) I would seriously consider whether or not I wanted to go into buying Bitcoins.

There are bitcoin ATMs in other countries as well and although this does show a movement forward and a tendency for broader adoption it does not directly show how many people are aware of the ATM or Bitcoin in general in my opinion. For this we would need to have information on how often an ATM is being used and more importantly by how many different people are using the service. I think bitcoin ATMs are more of pilot projects trying to introduce Bitcoin to a more general public, which will take time.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mattiadeabtc

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

★YoBit.Net★ 200+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 10:57:51 AM

no Bitcoin, will not save greece, the right policy and reforms is the only thing that can 'save Greece

aleksandarmkd

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 12:40:41 PM

No bitcon wont, but Germany surely will,they deserve it, all that is happening to them because didnt control their expences, for example every employee was taking 15th  salary annually, on one work place in administration they had like 3 employees etc.   this was a result of improper monetary working.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 12:50:54 PM

No bitcon wont, but Germany surely will,they deserve it, all that is happening to them because didnt control their expences, for example every employee was taking 15th  salary annually, on one work place in administration they had like 3 employees etc.   this was a result of improper monetary working.

That is very true.  Greece wants to keep the Euro.... so BTC does not really help there.

It's going to take a lot of money to help Greece, and I doubt people donate to Greece.  It will take some countries near them to help.  Some with deep deep pockets.
Prasmatic

Activity: 171
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 03:05:20 PM

My opinion is that if Greece would invest before in bitcoin, they will not bankrupt now.
It was a good opportunity for them, since they have now limits on their banks.
They want to keep the EUR currency and being in the EU.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 03:16:25 PM

No Bitcoin will not save Greece. Greece needs to leave the EU and Euro, reset and start from scratch. This is the only way out for Greece. No Bitcoin or EU reforms would not and will not help Greece.

Bitcoin would be able to save people's money from Banks influenced by capital controls, this was able to do with Bitcoin but too late for that now as well.
jt byte

Activity: 994
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 03:36:45 PM

Bitcoin was never invented to save an economy. it was only there to fill some of the gaps of the fiat currency system. Don't give bitcoin too greater value than it originally is. Otherwise the frustration will creep in.

The main purpose why bitcoin is made is not to save a country's economy. Maybe it can save these years.
If that happens the bitcoin price will reach to the moon/
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 04:13:20 PM

Nah,  according to my opinion Bitcoin cannot save Greece and it's people.
I think that they probably won't even know about Bitcoin.

they know about it otherwise why they have installed an atm there for bitcoin? this mean that a good % know about it, but the problem is that they have bigger issues to deal with at this moment, then investing in something with an uncertain future

when you are at risk, you don't take another risk to resolve the first one...
"Who" knows about it?

The goverment? Greeks? what % of greeks?
I think it's pretty clear the people that are aware on Bitcoin are still geeks and in-the-know guys, its still the small minority of people that are visionaries and see the potential. MOST people are still clueless, and sadly will not know what to do when a haircut happens in a couple of months and people lose money on their banks. But look at the positive: It means we are way ahead of the pack and we will reap the benefits in the future. Not everyone can win.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 07:21:07 PM

My opinion is that if Greece would invest before in bitcoin, they will not bankrupt now.
It was a good opportunity for them, since they have now limits on their banks.
They want to keep the EUR currency and being in the EU.

It's a little unrealistic to expect a country that has a Fiat dollar, the euro to invest in digital currency.   Really I don't think governments place is to invest.

I could be wrong on that but seems like a weird economy if your government is truly investing your tax money.
Somekindabitcoin

Activity: 518

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 07:25:54 PM

They can use their money to buy bitcoin which will save them

Yes, you can use your money to buy bitcoins, but after? if the work is inesistnte you don't have access to new money, it's like a dog chasing its tail

But you have access to your money and you can spend them, if there's a lot of people in Greece with BTC, they can just made a pure BTC shop, restaurant and more... That's how it works Smiley
Borisz

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 10:09:43 PM

No Bitcoin will not save Greece. Greece needs to leave the EU and Euro, reset and start from scratch. This is the only way out for Greece. No Bitcoin or EU reforms would not and will not help Greece.

Bitcoin would be able to save people's money from Banks influenced by capital controls, this was able to do with Bitcoin but too late for that now as well.

I would consider Greece leaving the EU as a huge defeat for the EU in general as this would mean that what we have been trying to do in the past decades is not working out in the end. This cannot be allowed to happen. I don't believe anyone would want this.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 10:44:24 AM
Last edit: July 24, 2015, 03:18:50 PM by Amph

I would consider Greece leaving the EU as a huge defeat for the EU in general as this would mean that what we have been trying to do in the past decades is not working out in the end. This cannot be allowed to happen. I don't believe anyone would want this.

on the contrary it would make eu stronger, removing a dead weight like greece which has rised only troubles in the last decade, it's not EU fault if greece can't handle their debts, i'm starting to believe that if greece were to adopt bitcoin It would still be a disaster..
Prasmatic

Activity: 171
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 01:22:57 PM

on the contrary it would make eu stronger, removing a dead weight like greece which has rised only trouble in the last decadde, it's not EU fault if greece can't handle their debts, i'm starting to believe that if greece were to adopt bitcoin It would still be a disaster..

Yeah the euro as a fiat currency will be more stronger if Greece would be out of the EU.
If Greece would implement the bitcoin as their currency will the bitcoin price go UP or DOWN?
I would like the Greece to be out of the EU, and make the euro stronger
AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 03:12:52 PM

If Greece wanted to leave the Euro they would have voted NO in the parliament last day, but well, even Varoufakis gave up and voted yes. Are they buying time and preparing a plan to leave the euro on the sidelines? I dont know, what I perceive is they are probably clueless and wouldn't know what to do if they saw themselves in a situation where they are forced to leave the Euro.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 03:17:28 PM

on the contrary it would make eu stronger, removing a dead weight like greece which has rised only trouble in the last decadde, it's not EU fault if greece can't handle their debts, i'm starting to believe that if greece were to adopt bitcoin It would still be a disaster..

It is not that simple dear... I would have agreed with your argument if Greece was the only deadweight in the European Union. But that is not the case. The European Union members can be broadly divided in to two groups. The first group is the donors, which includes countries such as Germany, the UK, France, the Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark, Belgium, Luxembourg.etc. The second group is the parasites, which includes countries such as Greece, Bulgaria, Romania, Portugal, Spain, Poland, Slovakia, Cyprus, Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia.

Now you can't throw all these parasites out of the Union. The equilibrium will be lost.
Borisz

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 09:05:26 AM

It is not that simple dear... I would have agreed with your argument if Greece was the only deadweight in the European Union. But that is not the case. The European Union members can be broadly divided in to two groups. The first group is the donors, which includes countries such as Germany, the UK, France, the Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark, Belgium, Luxembourg.etc. The second group is the parasites, which includes countries such as Greece, Bulgaria, Romania, Portugal, Spain, Poland, Slovakia, Cyprus, Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia.

Now you can't throw all these parasites out of the Union. The equilibrium will be lost.

Well. It could be a short term solution, but definitely a huge loss on the long run. One cannot simply jump in and out of the EU. A lot of Greece's debts are towards Germany, France etc. If Greece gets a big bailout money then a big portion of it flows back to these countries. Hence the countries (donors) are distributing the money of the whole EU, knowing that a major portion will flow back to their own pockets. Hence the more money they give from the common piggybank, the better from them. You can look up some information regarding e.g. military spendings from Greece and from which countries they buy hardware. There are also bribes and such involved that makes donors actually beneficiaries.

Also the word parasites and donors is a bit too harsh. Not every country has the same economics and situation and I bet that if they were real parasites the EU donors wouldn't have agreed to allow them into the EU in the first place. There is big gains for everyone.

The whole point of the EU would be to bring everyone on the same level economically, but this is a long way to go until you need to pick up more debt to repay old debt. Fact is, they cannot really do anything unless there debts would be forgiven. At which point every country could say that "OK, I'm not paying either because..." Simply by changing your economy and ruling you won't get rid of 10 years' debt. Not in our lifetime.

jt byte

Activity: 994

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 09:50:46 AM

Me too, i thinkif Greece would leave the EU , the euro fiat currency and the EU itself would be stronger much more than now
botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 02:28:56 AM

Me too, i thinkif Greece would leave the EU , the euro fiat currency and the EU itself would be stronger much more than now

It might become stronger eventually, but you can't predict how markets will react in the interim. This uncertainty is what makes leaders of the EU and monetary agencies apprehensive. So they just keep kicking the can (greek repayments) down the street and hope that the issue will resolve itself.
JanaBB

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 08:38:53 PM

bitcoin is not going to save Greece.
bitcoin is just a way for the people to save their money's worth and also keep their own money in their own hands and not in the banks being controlled by their government.
yeah, it's undoubtdely the best way to save people's money but for Greece it's too late to look for help in bitcoin
techgeek

Activity: 826

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 09:07:17 PM

If 1 bitcoin value stood for a 1 billion dollar valuation, then yes.

We can all save greece if we contributed 94 btc which would be 94 billion which is what they need to suppress permanent depression.

Cause then that 94 btc will be cashed in the form of the euro that they need.  Roll Eyes

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: