Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:34:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Factoid - The Software Token For The Factom Network  (Read 11735 times)
bitcoinrocks
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 04:42:41 PM

I'm interested in investing in Factom Inc and I'm curious how the investment is designed to pay off for those who buy in.  Information on the investment website is difficult to digest.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
chesthing
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 05:25:23 PM

Why is there an additional crowdsale for Factom Inc?
How is all the revenue sharing?

Thought with buying Factoids we are good. Now there is a strange company collecting money again.

Factom inc is selling shares in their company, what you bought - factoids - are the product of Factom Inc.
I'm hardly an investment expert, so dev please correct my understanding:
Factom Inc is a private company, and shares bought today are not sellable/tradeable unless you sell Factom Inc to another party or "go public" - sell all shares in another Ipo, which would get Factom Inc listed on the NYSE.  http://www.investopedia.com/terms/g/goingpublic.asp
Unless either of these happens buyers today are stuck with Factom Inc shares, with the only way to make any return on investment is if you decide to pay dividends.
Please correct anything I've written.
FACTOM (OP)

Activity: 251
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2015, 02:24:30 AM

Why is there an additional crowdsale for Factom Inc?
How is all the revenue sharing?

Thought with buying Factoids we are good. Now there is a strange company collecting money again.

Factom Inc is a separate entity to the Factom Foundation although at this time they share a number of the same team members.
Factom Inc is incorporated so what you see on BnkToTheFuture is a funding round as a startup will do. More in D Johnston quote below.

Also more info about the partnership between Factom Inc + Factom Foundation can be found on our blog:

http://blog.factom.org/post/122941176349/factom-inc-factom-foundation-partnership

I'm interested in investing in Factom Inc and I'm curious how the investment is designed to pay off for those who buy in.  Information on the investment website is difficult to digest.

The investment on BnkToTheFuture is like investing in any other startup, you get shares in the company, when they go up in value you make a profit when you sell them.
Many startups eventually grow to a point that they go public and their shares are available on the stock market. Also, eventually, there could be dividends offered.

Factom inc is selling shares in their company, what you bought - factoids - are the product of Factom Inc.
I'm hardly an investment expert, so dev please correct my understanding:
Factom Inc is a private company, and shares bought today are not sellable/tradeable unless you sell Factom Inc to another party or "go public" - sell all shares in another Ipo, which would get Factom Inc listed on the NYSE.  http://www.investopedia.com/terms/g/goingpublic.asp
Unless either of these happens buyers today are stuck with Factom Inc shares, with the only way to make any return on investment is if you decide to pay dividends.
Please correct anything I've written.

The only correction is that Factoids are a software licence that allows to use Factom to hash entries on the blockchain (once they are converted to entry credits).
Factoids are issued by the Factom Foundation not Factom Inc.

I'm quoting David Johnston from our other thread with similar questions.

what sort of works and services will be offered for these "enterprise clients" ?
what are the main sources of income?

Blockchain as a Service (BaaS). We will help enterprises integrate our tech with their existing or new systems and for that will we charge a fee.

More info on our Blog: http://blog.factom.org/post/122941176349/factom-inc-factom-foundation-partnership

do you plan to expand into a full-fledged consulting firm for blockchain tech?
i see that the same people are on both factom foundation and factom inc. Do they then work 16 hours a day?

The goal for GG / Factom Inc. is more to create generalized blockchain / Factom tools for auditing, finance, land titles and so forth. Doing some consulting for large enterprise clients is a means to defining these general software tools. In short the goal for Factom Inc. is not to be primarily a consulting company, but rather to build software tools that can be used by dozens and eventually hundreds of different companies.

As for the work hours, both the Foundation and Factom Inc. teams actually do often work 16 hour days, plus weekends (you can see the late night commits + weekend commits time stamped on Github).

In general the Foundation is focused on supporting the core developers and the for profit is supporting the marketing / business folks. The two organizations staff will become more and more divergent over time. For example Peter Kirby serves as the CEO for the for profit while Paul Snow serves as the CEO of the Foundation given their different focuses.
FACTOM (OP)

Activity: 251
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2015, 02:36:58 AM

We are locking this thread as we have another one with more of the community involved.
You are welcome to ask away any question you may have, we also post regular updates.

Please continue the discussion on our main Factom thread here:

FACTOM - Introducing Honesty to Record-Keeping

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to: