Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:52:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Vanitygen: How to easily generate vanity address - Mac OSX?  (Read 3538 times)
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2015, 08:41:40 PM

Shut down the terminal window, then re-open it.  If you installed brew - which it looks like you did - you should be able to use the "brew" command to install stuff.  Let's see if you've actually got it...
Code:
ls /usr/local/bin | grep brew

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Nyau (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 08:44:30 PM

Shut down the terminal window, then re-open it.  If you installed brew - which it looks like you did - you should be able to use the "brew" command to install stuff.  Let's see if you've actually got it...
Code:

What should this code do?
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2015, 08:47:53 PM

That should return something to you... it's just a directory listing of the /usr/local/bin directory (where brew would get installed).  For example, on mine:
Code:
brew
If nothing gets returned, then you don't have brew installed.  I'm assuming this is your Mac, and you actually have administrator rights (you can put in your password to install software)... right?

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
Nyau (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 08:51:08 PM

That should return something to you... it's just a directory listing of the /usr/local/bin directory (where brew would get installed).  For example, on mine:
Code:
brew
If nothing gets returned, then you don't have brew installed.  I'm assuming this is your Mac, and you actually have administrator rights (you can put in your password to install software)... right?
Oh right, I got nothing back.. Yes, it's my mac and I can do everything Smiley
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2015, 08:57:52 PM

I've got no clue what's going on, then.  All of the steps I laid out previously, I did on a brand new VM with OS X freshly installed.  It was a completely clean install.  Running the brew install script asked me for my password to ensure I was OK with what it was trying to do.  Now, if I attempt to re-run that install script I get this:
Code:
ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"
It appears Homebrew is already installed. If your intent is to reinstall you
should do the following before running this installer again:
    rm -rf /usr/local/Cellar /usr/local/.git && brew cleanup
LOL... tell you what... if you're not looking for some crazy long vanity address, I'll just generate it for you... probably could have had it done by now Tongue

Nyau (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 09:06:16 PM

I've got no clue what's going on, then.  All of the steps I laid out previously, I did on a brand new VM with OS X freshly installed.  It was a completely clean install.  Running the brew install script asked me for my password to ensure I was OK with what it was trying to do.  Now, if I attempt to re-run that install script I get this:
Code:
ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"
LOL... tell you what... if you're not looking for some crazy long vanity address, I'll just generate it for you... probably could have had it done by now Tongue
Well.. I want 1Nyau case-sensitive but I don't think it's safe, because you will have my private key.. :/
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2015, 09:13:48 PM

Code:
Well.. I want 1Nyau case-sensitive but I don't think it's safe, because you will have my private key.. :/
I'm not going to wreck my reputation here by trying to scam you, or anyone else.  I'll happily destroy the private key when I send the pair to you.  Generating addresses that start with that combination take seconds to do.  If you want me to generate a few for you, I'll PM you the public/private keys and then delete my PMs.

Completely up to you if you want.

Nyau (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 09:22:54 PM

Code:
I'm not going to wreck my reputation here by trying to scam you, or anyone else.  I'll happily destroy the private key when I send the pair to you.  Generating addresses that start with that combination take seconds to do.  If you want me to generate a few for you, I'll PM you the public/private keys and then delete my PMs.

Completely up to you if you want.

Ok, I will trust you Smiley
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2015, 09:26:37 PM

Check your PM.  I generated 5 addresses for you starting with 1Nyau.  Once you let me know you've got them, I'll delete the PM.

Rmcdermott927
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1140

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 06:32:36 AM

Mac OSX vs any other operating system has nothing to do with it. Here's a site for you -> http://bitcoinvanitygen.com/

Good luck.

DO NOT USE THAT SITE!!!   Have you used that before recommending it Possum?   They are a known scam.   They stole 3 BTC from me and have been stealing from folks for a long time.

Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2015, 01:12:37 PM

Check your PM.  I generated 5 addresses for you starting with 1Nyau.  Once you let me know you've got them, I'll delete the PM.

Please don't do this. Forum backups your PMs and sharing private key with others is not at all a good thing. I believe you know this, jonnybravo0311. Please use split-key generation when creating vanity addresses for others.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: