Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:28:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum, Hive, Multibit doesn't let you keep public/private keys. Safe?  (Read 1455 times)
miragecash (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 03:49:07 PM

Mycelium's backup method makes you print two QR codes protected by a passphrase. I am assuming that is your public and private keys. I've been told that if I don't hold on to my own public and private keys, I don't really own those bitcoins.

Electrum uses a 3rd party server to hold my private keys, I am assuming, because it is only backed up by a passphrase with no dual QR codes for backup. I do not hold the public and private keys? Same goes for Hive and Multibit?

So, this means I do not own my own private and public keys with Electrum, Hive, and Multibit? So it is not safe because government regulators could for whatever BS reason tell them to freeze my coins because I have no control over the public and private keys?

Is what I am saying true? If not, why?

Thanks.
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2015, 03:55:18 PM

Electrum uses a 3rd party server to hold my private keys, I am assuming, because it is only backed up by a passphrase with no dual QR codes for backup. I do not hold the public and private keys? Same goes for Hive and Multibit?
No. They are stored on your hard drive (don't know about Hive). If you find the Electrum and MultiBit data folders, you will find wallet files. The wallet files contain your private keys and seed. They will be encrypted if you set a password on your wallet. You don't need QR codes for backup at all. They are not necessary.

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 03:59:55 PM
Last edit: July 15, 2015, 04:14:54 PM by odolvlobo

An HD ("hierarchical deterministic") wallet generates keys from the seed in a repeatable way. When you back up the seed, you are backing up all the keys that the wallet will ever generate. Note that backing up the seed does not back up imported keys.

Electrum servers do not hold your keys. They are generated from the seed (unless they are imported). You are backing up the seed, not a passphrase.

No. They are stored on your hard drive (don't know about Hive). If you find the Electrum and MultiBit data folders, you will find wallet files. The wallet files contain your private keys and seed. They will be encrypted if you set a password on your wallet. You don't need QR codes for backup at all. They are not necessary.

Follow the wallet's instructions. If the wallet does not have a method for backing up the seed and/or keys, then don't use it.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
xmasdobo

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 04:31:40 PM

I've always wondered why people don't share master public keys to receive payments. Is it not that safe?
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 04:46:02 PM

I've always wondered why people don't share master public keys to receive payments. Is it not that safe?

It's safe to share it, but it's not good for privacy, as everyone can see all addresses and balances within that MPK.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: