Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 12:50:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Passphrase.io - Zero knowledge notepad - Inspired by Bitcoin brainwallets  (Read 5885 times)
devthedev (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 02:08:53 AM

Hi everyone. Inspired by Bitcoin Brainwallets, comes Passphrase.io

Enter a passphrase, type some text, and click save.

There is a multitude of uses for this website, such as storing sensitive information (passwords, private keys), sending secret messages to friends, or scavenger hunts. It can also be a social experiment to see how people modify the text for simple passphrases.

All data is encrypted in your browser, so plaintext contents of your passphrase or notepad can't be seen.  If you lose your passphrase, there is no recovery process.

For high security, create a long sentence that is difficult to guess and never used in any song, literature, or media.  Short phrases lead to high visibility, and text can be overwritten by anyone who stumbles upon it.

Technical details:  When you click save, your notepad is encrypted by your passphrase using AES256 encryption.  Then a SHA256 hash is run on your passphrase.  The hash and encrypted notepad is then sent to our server for storage.  We have no way of knowing your passphrase, and have no way of decrypting your notepad.  No data is ever stored in your browser, so when you close the website, no trace is left behind.

Let us know what you think!

The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ammy009

Activity: 303
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2015, 12:43:59 PM

Great work........ is it open source ?

devthedev (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 02:10:15 PM

Great work........ is it open source ?

Thanks! It's not, but in the future we may make it open source.

ikydesu

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2015, 07:56:11 PM

It's has changes hand to you?

BTW if you don't mind, maybe change the a text in second column be a transparant, like in first column. Just my opinion Grin
devthedev (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 03:26:22 AM

We were in the the top page of /r/Bitcoin all day yesterday. Check it out!

It's has changes hand to you?

BTW if you don't mind, maybe change the a text in second column be a transparant, like in first column. Just my opinion Grin

Yes, I will be continuing development on this project.

devthedev (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 04:05:42 AM

Feel free to leave any suggestions or feature requests here.

Bitcoin Explorer

Activity: 854

View Profile
July 12, 2015, 11:17:14 AM

You might want to polish the front end and add a few social media buttons so that people might share it, which gives passphrase.io some publicity

Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

/dev/null

View Profile
July 12, 2015, 10:08:41 PM

I like the idea generally and congratulation for the deal, I was also interested but decided to leave it. What I really don't like is some google code (analytics, adsense) on the page..

analytics:
Code:
<script>
(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
(i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
})(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');

ga('create', 'UA-64898721-1', 'auto');
ga('send', 'pageview');
</script>
adsense:
Code:
<script type="text/javascript">
google_ad_client = "ca-pub-4866156278966549";
google_ad_slot = "7135381319";
google_ad_width = 728;
google_ad_height = 90;
</script

I'm not sure, if is suitable to use such spying services from google on so sensitive page, as this one is...please reconsider other option of collecting data (on server side and HTTP level like Webalizer) and some monetization (except adsense code inside). anyway, good luck with this project, idea is quite cool.
devthedev (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 04:39:30 AM

I'm not sure, if is suitable to use such spying services from google on so sensitive page, as this one is...please reconsider other option of collecting data (on server side and HTTP level like Webalizer) and some monetization (except adsense code inside). anyway, good luck with this project, idea is quite cool.

I will look for alternatives to Google services in the future.

You might want to polish the front end and add a few social media buttons so that people might share it, which gives passphrase.io some publicity

That's a good thought, thanks!

Bitcoin Explorer

Activity: 854

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 05:02:21 AM

Not problem,
How about some content which  emphasises the importance of the website and privacy?

devthedev (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 04:36:12 PM

Not problem,
How about some content which  emphasises the importance of the website and privacy?

Definitely, I'm trying to keep the home page as simple as possible. So I may lock passphrases such as "privacy" and "terms" and put emphasis on those things there.

jdebunt
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2015, 11:07:03 AM

Interesting project for sure, will try to provide some media coverage in the next few days.
devthedev (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2015, 01:19:58 PM

Interesting project for sure, will try to provide some media coverage in the next few days.

Sounds great, thank you!

AhmedAshraf

Activity: 357
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 18, 2015, 01:34:58 PM

Great Project ! In fact, We will try sending some marketing love your way whenever we are free !

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

/dev/null

View Profile
July 18, 2015, 01:49:23 PM
Last edit: July 18, 2015, 02:40:27 PM by Xialla

guys, please keep in mind my post few lines above:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1113393.msg11863316#msg11863316

site itself is maybe cool and owner reputable, anyway, it contains 2 spying google scripts, which are able to suck almost all information about you just (analytics) by visiting site (broswer, country, age, interests, behavior, bounce rate and combined with adsense (yes, is possible to link those services together) - it is really deadly anti-private combo.

reconsider twice, if is smart to use such service for storing confidential and sensitive data. once owner will finally remove those spying third party features (and publish source code), I'll be ready to recommend it to use and propagate. until this moment, please stay away..
devthedev (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2015, 03:41:56 PM

Great Project ! In fact, We will try sending some marketing love your way whenever we are free !

Fantastic, I would love that!

kenw2

Activity: 344
Merit: 250

Feed me btc ^

View Profile
July 18, 2015, 04:30:32 PM

Hey there devthedev good luck with your new project! Do you have any plans for it?  Smiley
jdebunt
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2015, 07:29:52 PM

As promised, media coverage:   http://bitcoinist.net/passphrase-io-uses-bitcoin-level-encryption-create-safe-online-notepad-service/
devthedev (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 09:37:12 PM

guys, please keep in mind my post few lines above:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1113393.msg11863316#msg11863316

site itself is maybe cool and owner reputable, anyway, it contains 2 spying google scripts, which are able to suck almost all information about you just (analytics) by visiting site (broswer, country, age, interests, behavior, bounce rate and combined with adsense (yes, is possible to link those services together) - it is really deadly anti-private combo.

reconsider twice, if is smart to use such service for storing confidential and sensitive data. once owner will finally remove those spying third party features (and publish source code), I'll be ready to recommend it to use and propagate. until this moment, please stay away..

Google Analytics as well as Adsense have been removed. I have replaced AdSense with a self hosted Piwik platform. Also, if you have Do Not Track enabled this will be honored and visits will not be tracked. No service will be replacing Adsense as I feel Passphrase.io should be solely donation supported. Source code will not be released for the time being, but it may be in the future.

Thank you! I appreciate it very much.

Hey there devthedev good luck with your new project! Do you have any plans for it?  Smiley

Thanks! We're still brainstorming about the future of the project. We're hoping to make this service the go-to for text storage in the cryptocurrency space.

jdebunt
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2015, 02:26:56 PM

Glad you like the article, and pleased to hear a solution to AdSense has been found Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: