Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:12:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Iceland Recovering Fast in Europe After Jailing Bankers Instead of Bailing Them  (Read 1709 times)
greBit

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 07:55:42 AM

Some of the people in this thread need to calm down man, I understand that the banks have screwed over a lot of people and I am not asking you to forgive them, sure, they deserve to be punished and be inside a god damn prison cell alright. But let's not talk about how yall want their kids and the wife to suffer just because the head of the family was a bad man. Change comes from within, let's be better than those banksters and have mercy over their families atleast..

Regardless of whatever the bad people of the banks did, I find it unreasonable to punish their families too. Don't worry about that though, people here are just angry, they are not the judge of anything. The courts make sure that the families of such homes are not deeply affected and make proper arrangements for them so at least they can have an average life.

That seems fair but no organization should be above the law including the police and the individual CEOs of the banks as they also earned their income because of placing undue risk on other people that would result in prosecution and directly or indirectly when things go south also hurt many other families with their actions.
It could also blamed on the corporate structure but those at the top tend to take the brunt of the penalty for the actions as they generally are the ones that make the decisions at the end of the day.

Yeah, man. They got the money, the big old money and have certain perks for being famous rich people for so long, they get to stay at comfortable jails and have a still more than decent lifestyle there. There are a lot of luxurious jails for rich people out there,you must have often seen it in the movies or generally on tv, in news, etc. They do not deserve to be treated so special, let's alter those laws first.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Miracal

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 10:39:39 AM

Some of the people in this thread need to calm down man, I understand that the banks have screwed over a lot of people and I am not asking you to forgive them, sure, they deserve to be punished and be inside a god damn prison cell alright. But let's not talk about how yall want their kids and the wife to suffer just because the head of the family was a bad man. Change comes from within, let's be better than those banksters and have mercy over their families atleast..

Regardless of whatever the bad people of the banks did, I find it unreasonable to punish their families too. Don't worry about that though, people here are just angry, they are not the judge of anything. The courts make sure that the families of such homes are not deeply affected and make proper arrangements for them so at least they can have an average life.

That seems fair but no organization should be above the law including the police and the individual CEOs of the banks as they also earned their income because of placing undue risk on other people that would result in prosecution and directly or indirectly when things go south also hurt many other families with their actions.
It could also blamed on the corporate structure but those at the top tend to take the brunt of the penalty for the actions as they generally are the ones that make the decisions at the end of the day.

Yeah, man. They got the money, the big old money and have certain perks for being famous rich people for so long, they get to stay at comfortable jails and have a still more than decent lifestyle there. There are a lot of luxurious jails for rich people out there,you must have often seen it in the movies or generally on tv, in news, etc. They do not deserve to be treated so special, let's alter those laws first.

Not every developed nation embraces America’s get-tough-on-crime prison philosophy. This minimum security prison colony is located on Bastoy Island in the middle of the Oslofjord. It houses slightly over 100 inmates who live in small cottages and work on the prison farm. Sunbathing in addition to tennis, fishing and horseback riding are the preferred pastimes of the prisoners.
pitham1
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 01:00:50 AM

Not every developed nation embraces America’s get-tough-on-crime prison philosophy. This minimum security prison colony is located on Bastoy Island in the middle of the Oslofjord. It houses slightly over 100 inmates who live in small cottages and work on the prison farm. Sunbathing in addition to tennis, fishing and horseback riding are the preferred pastimes of the prisoners.

Scandinavian countries are a class apart.
There was a lot of debate how the Norway terrorist who killed 77 people would spend his jail time in comfort.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/25/world/europe/anders-behring-breivik-murder-trial.html?_r=0
Mr. Breivik, lawyers say, will live in a prison outside Oslo in a three-cell suite of rooms equipped with exercise equipment, a television and a laptop, albeit one without Internet access. If he is not considered a threat after serving his sentence, the maximum available under Norwegian law, he will be eligible for release in 2033, at the age of 53.

greBit

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 04:52:21 AM

There was a lot of debate how the Norway terrorist who killed 77 people would spend his jail time in comfort.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/25/world/europe/anders-behring-breivik-murder-trial.html?_r=0
Mr. Breivik, lawyers say, will live in a prison outside Oslo in a three-cell suite of rooms equipped with exercise equipment, a television and a laptop, albeit one without Internet access. If he is not considered a threat after serving his sentence, the maximum available under Norwegian law, he will be eligible for release in 2033, at the age of 53.

I think that is a really bad move, making a person live in comfort after whatever this guy has done. If I was a judge, I would have had this guy hanged instantly, no fucking doubt about it. The lifestyle he must be living in the jail is not possible for so many millions of people in Africa, India, etc. People would kill and get into that jail for that lifestyle lol
pitham1
Legendary

Activity: 1232

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 05:06:17 AM

I think that is a really bad move, making a person live in comfort after whatever this guy has done. If I was a judge, I would have had this guy hanged instantly, no fucking doubt about it. The lifestyle he must be living in the jail is not possible for so many millions of people in Africa, India, etc. People would kill and get into that jail for that lifestyle lol

This is precisely why there was such a huge outrage after his sentencing.
A lot of countries have abolished the death penalty and the jails aren't pretty bad either.

Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 12, 2015, 12:17:30 AM

This is precisely why there was such a huge outrage after his sentencing.
A lot of countries have abolished the death penalty and the jails aren't pretty bad either.

There was no outrage.

In fact, the court case was extremely well executed by judge Judge Wenche Arntzen. The most controversy was about the sanity of the defendant, where the prosecutors wanted to declare him insane, but the defense and the defendant himself wanted him to be declared sane (opposite of what you might expect). The parties had two psychiatrists each. The judge were quite furious about what they said, and delved into the psychiatry books herself to make sense of it, eventually declaring him sane.

The difference in time would not be that large, but with the case of insanity, his release would be entirely up to the psychiatrists. The public was satisfied that he was declared sane, and therefore had to take the responsibility. He was the one who did the deed. There were reasons for his actions to be found in his childhood, still, he was the one who did it.

What confuses me, is that the public did not see that it could have been prevented with a little thought of self defense. A large convention on a small island, with a single person staff ferry as the only means of communication. He must have known that it was defenseless. About a third of the attendants would be hunters with their own rifles, and a small security team could have been arranged for no expense at all. No, it was all about strengthening the police, but the conclusion was and must be that having enough police for this type of occasion will not be possible.

Luckily, there were no effect on gun laws. He had legal, registered guns that he owned himself.
n2004al
Legendary

Activity: 1134

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 09:45:06 AM

I don't think that can be compared Island with United States Of America. There are to many differences between the two countries. The way what has chosen Island is wonderful (because according to me is the more fair) but I doubt that would be possible to be applied in the USA. The impact of "laissez faire" on the USA might were disastrous for the economy and society of Americans. It is a big country and the first consequences of such policies were be the unemployment, a huge unemployment. That would bring another big depression like the depression of the '30 years. Maybe bigger. If this depression were be, the its results yet couldn't be resolved even today because of the complexity that an economy of a big country have.

It is otherwise with Island. A little economy has more possibilities to maneuver and the impact of the negative consequences are mitigated more easily. So the impact of the "negative" policies were absorbed with less problems and with better consequences.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: