Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 04:04:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: "Bitcoin" XT Status Update  (Read 11172 times)
canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 06:38:19 PM

Uh-oh!  Trouble in Gavinista paradise.

XT nodes have dropped from a high of 154 to 103 at present.

103 XT nodes / 6098 total = 1.7%

And then there's this:

https://www.mail-archive.com/bitcoin-dev@lists.linuxfoundation.org/msg00500.html

tx1: To merchant, but dust/low-fee/reused-address/large-size/etc. anything that miners don't always accept.

tx2: After merchant gives up valuable thing in return, normal tx without triggering spam protections. (loltasticly a Mike Hearn Bitcoin XT node was used to relay the double-spends)

Example success story: tx1 paying Shapeshift.io with 6uBTC output is not dust under post-Hearn-relay-drop rules, but is dust under pre-Hearn-relay-drop rules

Cheesy

Well, XT nodes or no XT nodes, taking zero conf transactions for instant digital payments with no identity or recourse is always a bad idea. Second, XT doesn't have bigger block code so at this point it's all conjecture.

Let's not add bigger block into the zero conf argument since that's a whole separate issue with RBF and first seen RBF arguments and it has nothing to do with a hard fork.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
iCEBREAKER (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2015, 07:01:56 PM

Well, XT nodes or no XT nodes, taking zero conf transactions for instant digital payments with no identity or recourse is always a bad idea. Second, XT doesn't have bigger block code so at this point it's all conjecture.

Let's not add bigger block into the zero conf argument since that's a whole separate issue with RBF and first seen RBF arguments and it has nothing to do with a hard fork.

Ah, I see how this works.

When XT node count is declining in relative and absolute terms, you pooh-pooh their significance ("XT nodes or no XT nodes").

But we all know that if XT node count was still climbing, the Gavinistas would still rubbing it in Team Core's faces and using XT as a cudgel to beat the recalcitrant core devs into submission, under threat of contentious hard fork.

Do you see the hypocrisy there, or do I need to draw a picture and in excruciating detail ELI5 the self-serving inconsistency?   Grin

As for 0-confs, I agree they are nearly always a bad idea.  If you could successfully convince Frap.doc, Justus, and the rest of the Yet-Another-Centralized-Realtime-Retail-Payment-Rail camp of that, I'd appreciate it.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
canth
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 08:05:43 PM

Ah, I see how this works.

When XT node count is declining in relative and absolute terms, you pooh-pooh their significance ("XT nodes or no XT nodes").

But we all know that if XT node count was still climbing, the Gavinistas would still rubbing it in Team Core's faces and using XT as a cudgel to beat the recalcitrant core devs into submission, under threat of contentious hard fork.

Do you see the hypocrisy there, or do I need to draw a picture and in excruciating detail ELI5 the self-serving inconsistency?   Grin

As for 0-confs, I agree they are nearly always a bad idea.  If you could successfully convince Frap.doc, Justus, and the rest of the Yet-Another-Centralized-Realtime-Retail-Payment-Rail camp of that, I'd appreciate it.

I don't recall nor plan on rubbing XT in anyone's face. My preference is for larger blocks and my hope is that the majority of the community (devs, users, miners, holders) supports this. If a supermajority supports a hard fork, then I'm supportive of that too. If XT ends up being a minority fork and never gains traction then that's also a vote worth respecting.

My point is that I'm not going down with the ship on the short side. As we've been discussing, the economic supermajority will win out and I don't intend to fight upstream - I'm not that dogmatic. This isn't about winning and losing - it's about supporting what you think is the right way to go but listening to the feedback you get.

Since XT doesn't have any relevant code regarding larger blocks, why start counting XT nodes?

iCEBREAKER (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2015, 08:37:20 PM

I don't recall nor plan on rubbing XT in anyone's face. My preference is for larger blocks and my hope is that the majority of the community (devs, users, miners, holders) supports this. If a supermajority supports a hard fork, then I'm supportive of that too. If XT ends up being a minority fork and never gains traction then that's also a vote worth respecting.

My point is that I'm not going down with the ship on the short side. As we've been discussing, the economic supermajority will win out and I don't intend to fight upstream - I'm not that dogmatic. This isn't about winning and losing - it's about supporting what you think is the right way to go but listening to the feedback you get.

Since XT doesn't have any relevant code regarding larger blocks, why start counting XT nodes?

Your commendable (and expected) lack of personal involvement aside, did you really miss the wave of Gavinista goading/gloating around here and (especially) on reddit when their putsch began?  Why do you think XTnodes.com exists?  Please don't make me dive into r/bitcoin's sewer of idiocy to dredge up XT boasting threads!

"Supermajority" is a uselessly/harmfully confusing, subjective term which does not preclude contention.  See Bitcoin.org's Hard Fork Policy for details!

Remember what happened with BIP66's uncontentious supposed "95%" supermajority, or did you miss that imbroglio as well?

IMO, Hearn@sigint.google.mil set up XTnodes.com to act as a Bad Cop in order to intimidate the core devs into submission w/r/t larger blocks.

If you disagree with my interpretation, please ask him for his version.   Cheesy

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
canth
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 08:50:12 PM

Your commendable (and expected) lack of personal involvement aside, did you really miss the wave of Gavinista goading/gloating around here and (especially) on reddit when their putsch began?  Why do you think XTnodes.com exists?  Please don't make me dive into r/bitcoin's sewer of idiocy to dredge up XT boasting threads!

"Supermajority" is a uselessly/harmfully confusing, subjective term which does not preclude contention.  See Bitcoin.org's Hard Fork Policy for details!

Remember what happened with BIP66's uncontentious supposed "95%" supermajority, or did you miss that imbroglio as well?

IMO, Hearn@sigint.google.mil set up XTnodes.com to act as a Bad Cop in order to intimidate the core devs into submission w/r/t larger blocks.

If you disagree with my interpretation, please ask him for his version.   Cheesy

I didn't lose a single satoshi from BIP66 and quite honestly, any SPV miner running that configuration and outdated software got exactly what they deserved. The same can be said for SPV users who put their faith in meaningful amounts of BTC on unverifiable chains.

If you want to use this as an example, I'me fine with that. I'm also fine with someone playing bad cop, if it moves off detente in this case. Bitcoin is decentralized, right? Why are you worrying about what 2 core devs do?

iCEBREAKER (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2015, 09:30:08 PM
Last edit: August 10, 2015, 01:17:00 AM by iCEBREAKER

Your commendable (and expected) lack of personal involvement aside, did you really miss the wave of Gavinista goading/gloating around here and (especially) on reddit when their putsch began?  Why do you think XTnodes.com exists?  Please don't make me dive into r/bitcoin's sewer of idiocy to dredge up XT boasting threads!

"Supermajority" is a uselessly/harmfully confusing, subjective term which does not preclude contention.  See Bitcoin.org's Hard Fork Policy for details!

If you disagree with my interpretation, please ask him for his version.   Cheesy

I didn't lose a single satoshi from BIP66 and quite honestly, any SPV miner running that configuration and outdated software got exactly what they deserved. The same can be said for SPV users who put their faith in meaningful amounts of BTC on unverifiable chains.

If you want to use this as an example, I'me fine with that. I'm also fine with someone playing bad cop, if it moves off detente in this case. Bitcoin is decentralized, right? Why are you worrying about what 2 core devs do?

I'm glad you were not affected by the BIP66 forks, and agree the silly miners/pools brought it upon themselves by playing too fast/loose with the rules.  In a textbook example of antifragility, BTC came out stronger as a result.

My point about BIP66 is that even a non-contentious supposed "95%" hypermajority translated, upon state vector collapse, into 64% (sufficient to cause some FUD/chaos/drama).  And thus, your reliance on an even flimsier "75%" "supermajority" is not justified and ill-advised, especially given the existing contention and expected gamesmanship over larger blocks.

Hearn@sigint.google.mil is not a core dev, and I don't care what he does.  But I reserve to right to LULZ when his nefarious public shenanigans backfire spectacularly, as in the current case of XTnodes.com.   Smiley

Gavin@tla.mit.gov, OTOH, is of greater concern because he can revert core dev commits and even revoke their commit access.

And he has the keys to the alert system.  And people think he's the CEO of Bitcoin.   Undecided

Speaking of supermajorities, do you think Bitcoin.org's Hard Fork Policy represents one?  Or are you in the Thermos-Is-An-Evil-Undemocratic-Dictator camp?

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
canth
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 10:03:05 PM

I'm glad you were not affected by the BIP66 forks, and agree the silly miners/pools brought it upon themselves by playing too fast/loose with the rules.  In a textbook example of antifragility, BTC came out stronger as a result.

My point about BIP66 is that even a non-contentious supposed "95%" hypermajority translated, upon state vector collapse, into 64% (sufficient to cause some FUD/chaos/drama).  And thus, your reliance on an even flimsier "75%" "supermajority" is not justified and ill-advised, especially given the existing contention and expected gamesmanship over larger blocks.

Hearn@sigint.google.mil is not a core dev, and I don't care what he does.  But I reserve to right to LULZ when his nefarious public shenanigans backfire spectacularly, as in the current case of XTnodes.com.   Smiley

Gavin@tla.mid.gov, OTOH, is of greater concern because he can revert core dev commits and even revoke their commit access.

And he has the keys to the alert system.  And people think he's the CEO of Bitcoin.   Undecided

Speaking of supermajorities, do you think Bitcoin.org's Hard Fork Policy represents one?  Or are you in the Thermos-Is-An-Evil-Undemocratic-Dictator camp?

Agreed on Hearn not being a core dev. Your concerns about Gavin are unjustified since he's never shown an indication to roll out changes or revoke access on some sort of a whim. If anything, he's a conservative and deliberate developer who has done an amazing job being dedicated to improving Bitcoin since 2010, when it was relatively worthless. He's earned his role as a core dev and holding the keys to the alert system, similar to Thermos as you call him.

So what people think he's the CEO of bitcoin? Lots of people think it's a ponzi scheme and I've been told at least once that Bitcoin was created by the yakuza (for real) as a tool to evade taxes. Most people that think these things don't have any Bitcoin and can be dismissed.

Bitcoin.org can have whatever opinions it wants. If Theymos is the last holdout on hard fork wallets...well then we'll see what happens. This is the point - everyone gets to use whatever influence they like. I don't think that accusing Gavin/Hearn/Todd/Back/luke-jr/Theymos/etc of being dictatorial and harmful to 'the cause' is accurate or fair. Everyone for the most part is doing what they think is the right way to contribute. One of those ways may be offering a hard fork to users...if they embrace it then you get to be concerned. If not, then what's the big deal?

iCEBREAKER (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2015, 10:29:18 PM

Bitcoin.org can have whatever opinions it wants. If Theymos is the last holdout on hard fork wallets...well then we'll see what happens. This is the point - everyone gets to use whatever influence they like. I don't think that accusing Gavin/Hearn/Todd/Back/luke-jr/Theymos/etc of being dictatorial and harmful to 'the cause' is accurate or fair. Everyone for the most part is doing what they think is the right way to contribute. One of those ways may be offering a hard fork to users...if they embrace it then you get to be concerned. If not, then what's the big deal?

Perhaps Gavin is joking about being more dictatorial.  Perhaps not.  I'll judge him by his actions, many of which of late give cause for concern.

I'm straining to parse your post into a response to my question re: whether or not BTC.org's Hard Fork Policy represents one of the supermajorities of which you are so fond, and believe to be of such high utility in decision making processes.

You seem to be attempting to have it both ways, beginning with the wishy-washy platitude "Bitcoin.org can have whatever opinions it wants."

I'm sure you'll welcome the opportunity to answer the my question in a more direct (dare I hope, even Yes or No) manner, with less distracting truisms.   Smiley

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
canth
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 10:39:49 PM

Perhaps Gavin is joking about being more dictatorial.  Perhaps not.  I'll judge him by his actions, many of which of late give cause for concern.

I'm straining to parse your post into a response to my question re: whether or not BTC.org's Hard Fork Policy represents one of the supermajorities of which you are so fond, and believe to be of such high utility in decision making processes.

You seem to be attempting to have it both ways, beginning with the wishy-washy platitude "Bitcoin.org can have whatever opinions it wants."

I'm sure you'll welcome the opportunity to answer the my question in a more direct (dare I hope, even Yes or No) manner, with less distracting truisms.   Smiley

bitcoin.org - I honestly haven't thought about it much.  It's a website/domain, ultimately run /controlled by one dude, theymos, no? If so, how can you call that a majority or even supermajority? The pirate bay isn't tied to a domain and neither is decentralized Bitcoin. If users want >1M blocks and Theymos refuses to host wallet software that respects it, will that be THE factor? I'm not sure - you're asking for a future prediction which i don't have.

I will say that it won't affect SPV wallets since they have no clue about blocks, as BIP66 helped remind users.  Grin Theymos won't likely start blocking breadwallet, blockchain.info, etc...

You want something definitive? I want to find out if a supermajority want larger blocks and unless we just trust 5 core devs to make the decision for everyone else, there will be a software fork allowing users to choose.

iCEBREAKER (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2015, 11:25:30 PM

bitcoin.org - I honestly haven't thought about it much.  It's a website/domain, ultimately run /controlled by one dude, theymos, no? If so, how can you call that a majority or even supermajority? The pirate bay isn't tied to a domain and neither is decentralized Bitcoin. If users want >1M blocks and Theymos refuses to host wallet software that respects it, will that be THE factor? I'm not sure - you're asking for a future prediction which i don't have.

I will say that it won't affect SPV wallets since they have no clue about blocks, as BIP66 helped remind users.  Grin Theymos won't likely start blocking breadwallet, blockchain.info, etc...

You want something definitive? I want to find out if a supermajority want larger blocks and unless we just trust 5 core devs to make the decision for everyone else, there will be a software fork allowing users to choose.

Bitcoin.org is controlled by a number of people including theymos.  Sorry, I assumed you were familiar with it, but shouldn't have as I wasn't either, until the recent brouhaha over their Hard Fork Policy.   Cheesy

I think my point was that Gavin no more necessarily speaks for a (super)majority than theymos.

The "software fork allowing users to choose" may not be innocuous as your bland description makes it sound, and glosses over the dangers of a contentious hard fork.

Without asking you for a future prediction, let's acknowledge the possibility this "software fork allowing users to choose" may turn into "a tumultuous, costly, protracted civil war resulting in unprecedented FUD/chaos/drama, and possibly irreparable damage to both (or all) sides, if not e-cash in general."

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
canth
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 12:01:24 AM

Bitcoin.org is controlled by a number of people including theymos.  Sorry, I assumed you were familiar with it, but shouldn't have as I wasn't either, until the recent brouhaha over their Hard Fork Policy.   Cheesy

I think my point was that Gavin no more necessarily speaks for a (super)majority than theymos.

The "software fork allowing users to choose" may not be innocuous as your bland description makes it sound, and glosses over the dangers of a contentious hard fork.

Without asking you for a future prediction, let's acknowledge the possibility this "software fork allowing users to choose" may turn into "a tumultuous, costly, protracted civil war resulting in unprecedented FUD/chaos/drama, and possibly irreparable damage to both (or all) sides, if not e-cash in general."

We definitely agree - no single individual or even group of individuals 'speaks' for the (super) majority and no, I don't accept Theymos as having (veto) rights over what users can or can't do anymore than Gavin does.

I will agree that it's entirely possible that this the software fork proposed by Gavin/Hearn and supported by an unknown number of participants may indeed turn into a a costly and protracted civil war. I'm hopeful that it will be more sane, more amicable and shorter than might be the case, but I fully acknowledge that it could be *bad* short term for Bitcoin and e-cash and possibly long term. However, I also think that this is a problem that needs to be dealt with at some point.

On the one side, I don't think a minority of users (including devs/holders/miners/etc) should be able to veto changes desired by the super majority. On the other hand I also don't think that a couple of devs, even influential ones like Gavin, should be able to sink Bitcoin now or forever.

There has to be a way to reconcile these problems and perhaps now is the time to force the conversation away from hypotheticals. No one is asking for Bitcoin to be more compliant with LEOs, no one wants to move away from the 21m coin cap, no one wants to change the mining algo - the block size, while important, shouldn't be so contentious that the minorities will be able to break it for everyone else...

tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3934
Merit: 1405

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 11:55:18 AM

Bitcoin XT Gavincoin Status Update

Please fix title.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
canth
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 12:21:42 PM

Bitcoin XT Gavincoin Status Update

Please fix title.

It's funny that those who likely contribute very little to the community manage to disrespect someone like Gavin that committed thousands of lines of code improving the very thing that we all rely on. Rather pathetic, if you ask me.

Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2015, 01:20:41 PM

Perhaps Gavin is joking about being more dictatorial. 

If it's a joke, it's prolly an embittered one.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

canth
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 01:27:02 PM

Perhaps Gavin is joking about being more dictatorial. 

If it's a joke, it's prolly an embittered one.

Really...because if you had accumulated enough BTC to (likely) be set for life, got paid by MIT to develop the thing that you enjoyed working on most, you'd be embittered? That's not a word that I'd use to describe Gavin.

iCEBREAKER (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2015, 10:03:46 AM

Down to 83 Gavinista dead-enders.

Don't they know the war is over, and they lost?

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
bitcoin_bagholder

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 02:11:36 PM

Theymos isn't a fan of the blockchain.info wallet. It was removed from bitcoin.org some time ago.

Bitmixer sucks

Bit-X sucks
canth
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 05:58:57 PM

Theymos isn't a fan of the blockchain.info wallet. It was removed from bitcoin.org some time ago.

Shows how much I'm paying attention to bitcoin.org. I'm not much of a fan of blockchain.info either - they were innovative in 2013, not so much now. No HD wallet is ridiculous in 2015.

iCEBREAKER (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2015, 03:02:02 AM

In today's highly entertaining episode of All My Bitcoins:

u/bashco and u/theymos politely reminded rabid, increasingly desperate Gavin fanboys XT is just another obscure (albeit hostile) altcoin and therefore off-topic in r/Bitcoin:

/r/Bitcoin exists to serve Bitcoin. XT will, if/when its hardfork is activated, diverge from Bitcoin and create a separate network/currency. Therefore, it and services that support it should not be allowed on/r/Bitcoin.

These two things are not opinion:

Bitcoin requires consensus before creating hard forks, or the result fork is not Bitcoin.

BitcoinXT has not reached consensus, and is therefore not Bitcoin.

The arguments have been explained countless times, even in this thread alone, but people seem to think that downvoting those arguments brings us closer to consensus.

Given the fact that the block size limit debate hasn't achieved anything even remotely resembling consensus, yet BitcoinXT contains code which could fragment the blockchain and existing ecosystem, the decision to moderate BitcoinXT topics as off-topic is consistent with actions taken towards alternate blockchains like Litecoin, Dogecoin, Ethereum, etc. I suggest we drop the inflammatory rhetoric and get to work on devising a way to scale Bitcoin which will achieve consensus.

Epic frothy buttrage ensues, including much hyperbole about "censorship."   Cheesy

Here's the highlight reel of Level 10 Poutrage:

I genuinely think we're fucked.

A moderators job is not to decide what truth is, or to only allow discussion on ideas they believe in, but to moderate the discussions so they don't get out of hand. Not to stop them from happening! This is the epitome of authoritarianism: Let the book burning begin!

It's time to practice civil disobedience. A significant number of us support free discussion of Xt, even if we don't necessarily support Xt..

Link to http://www.xtnodes.com/ and this post with every comment we make. The moderators cannot ban us all. Try avoiding linking or mentioning Xt nodes directly - automoderator will be set up with a rule to automatically censor those domains. Mention it like xt*nodes or "google x t nodes".

Free information will always prevail.

You know that the only time any significant number of people agreed 100% on anything is in North Korea, or NK-like regimes, right?

This is a terrible decision. This is one of the most important things that has happened in the bitcoin world since its creation.

You are imposing your personal beliefs on all Bitcoin users. This is unacceptable.

Theymos has too much power

theymos, you have always allowed censorship even over on BCT. i don't find it surprising that you are now advocating it here on Reddit.

shame on you that you don't even seem to understand the fundamental right of free speech.

This is really starting to feel like a coup.  Bitcoin will be quickly replaced by an alt if the block size cap isn't raised (fixed), wrecking trust, crashing the price and setting cryptocurrencies back years.

If you cannot allow Bitcoin-related code written by Mike Hearn and Gavin Andresen to settle itself on /r/bitcoin, you are enacting a malicious kind of censorship that is arbitrary as well as setting a precedent for suppression of free speech in /r/bitcoin.

Go to hell man. Stop censoring.

Roll Eyes

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
iCEBREAKER (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2015, 06:05:04 AM

Good news everyone!

XT is consigning Bitcoin's outdated and ineffective model of trust-free leaderless development to the dustbin of history, where it belongs.

Let's all welcome our new XT overlords.

If you see anyone post stuff like this:

report them to Fatherland Security.  They are probably Tea Partiers, or (even worse) Libertarians, who seek to disrupt our benevolent status quo of central banking, zombie bailouts, deficit spending for warfare/welfare, and rock-solid settlement/clearinghouse networks.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████