Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:25:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why no altcoins written purely in Ruby?  (Read 898 times)
str4wm4n (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1611
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 01:27:52 AM

All my life I've wanted to learn a programming language but every time I tried it just seemed like an impossible task..
until I gave Ruby a chance, and I'm now about 7 months into learning it and the way it flows out of my fingertips
simply amazes me!

I am wondering why there are no cryptocurrencies written purely in Ruby like there are python and javascript and how
big of an undertaking such a task would be?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cloudboy

Activity: 690
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 03:22:27 AM

why there are no cryptocurrencies written purely in Ruby

Why not be the first?
ed_teech

Activity: 508
Merit: 500

Jahaha

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 07:38:17 AM

Most altcoins are launched for scam. It is easier to copy an existing source code.
big ears

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 08:30:08 AM

When I tried using Ruby I found it was extremely difficult, I had all sorts of problems and gave up because trying to fix them was wasting too much of my time. I admit I had no knowledge of it before I started but I never had so many problems using other languages for the first time. If an alt coin gets coded in it and is full of bugs and glitches it will put people off.
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 05:57:55 PM

agreed..
the big issue is much of the code is ancient and recycled.
think of it as Libraries of code bases that are refined and designed and written for a specific language being C (not c++)
so if you wanted to rewrite a coin chances are you would have to rewrite the miner and the wallet for it too.
the wallets use QT lib's and I can't imagine that would port to Ruby. (maybe it already has ? I have no idea)
QT is used because it will allow people to use pretty much the same code base to compile on Windows and Linux.
Then take miners for example they use chunks of code that are for dealing with ini files or setting up network connections.
and meddling with those (rewriting them) is kind of dumb unless you really need to.

I started taking a miner way back years ago and tried to port it to c++ / MFC and that was hard.
I created a GUI for the console based miner program.
And doing that sounds easy to any coder that knows his stuff but even that was a nightmare.

I know little about Ruby but can code in a handful of other languages.

I also don't see it possible to code a coin in JavaScript.. not the whole thing anyway (parts of it maybe)

FUD first & ask questions later™
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 06:50:30 PM

Maybe there aren't a lot of Ruby Gems that are useful for developing a cryptocurrency.

Coinbase has their own implementation of Bitcoin in Ruby though. So that's something.
Este Nuno
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 06:51:35 PM

I also don't see it possible to code a coin in JavaScript.. not the whole thing anyway (parts of it maybe)

The cryptocurrency NODE doesn't seem to have gained a lot of traction, but it's coded in Javascript using node.js.
tyz
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1530

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 07:03:38 PM

Well the best thing is to start to program a cryptocurrency in your favourite language on your own. You can try to start by converting a C++ or Java based coin to Ruby using a converter and then improve to code for your own coin needs.
bitdwarf

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

The cryptocoin watcher

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 09:31:44 PM

Good grief no, Ruby is a slow, high level language. It's not meant for crypto.

https://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/compare.php?lang=yarv&lang2=gcc

Rust would be a much better language for this.

𝖄𝖆𝖈: YF3feU4PNLHrjwa1zV63BcCdWVk5z6DAh5 · 𝕭𝖙𝖈: 12F78M4oaNmyGE5C25ZixarG2Nk6UBEqme
Ɏ: "the altcoin for the everyman, where the sweat on one's brow can be used to cool one's overheating CPU" -- theprofileth
str4wm4n (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1611
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 09:51:47 PM

Maybe there aren't a lot of Ruby Gems that are useful for developing a cryptocurrency.

Coinbase has their own implementation of Bitcoin in Ruby though. So that's something.

got a link to what you're talking about with coinbase?
YarkoL
Legendary

Activity: 996
Merit: 1012

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 06:30:54 AM

I suppose it is this

https://github.com/coinbase/coinbase-ruby

Not really a Bitcoin implementation, but a wrapper
to their API.

“God does not play dice"
Este Nuno
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 03:59:13 PM

I suppose it is this

https://github.com/coinbase/coinbase-ruby

Not really a Bitcoin implementation, but a wrapper
to their API.

I see, thanks. I thought I had read somewhere that they did a full implementation. It was probably someone mistaken and just referring to this.
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 10:24:01 PM

how many of you have looked at every single line of code on a typical coin and it's possible miner software ?

saying you made a coin in XYZ language because *part of it was ported in not the same thing.
I really wonder if most of you have any clue what your talking about.
and are giving guys the wrong impression here.

take say Quark Coin.. want to port it to Ruby ? then you need to port the QT wallet code and the miner and web based pool code etc.
how many times is that done for coins ?
That sort of thing is very rare in crypto.. one that comes to mind where crazy porting / coding was done is GridCoin (from c to .Net)

I guess you have to find things out the hard way LOL

FUD first & ask questions later™
YarkoL
Legendary

Activity: 996
Merit: 1012

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 07:05:22 AM

take say Quark Coin.. want to port it to Ruby ? then you need to port the QT wallet code and the miner and web based pool code etc.

There are plenty of wallet implementations in various
languages. At most basic level you just need a store for your private keys
and methods to produce addresses and send transactions.

It's a very good programming exercise and I see no need
to take everything in the QT.

“God does not play dice"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: