Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:06:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Uber says denies plans to accept bitcoin payments  (Read 1182 times)
Possum577 (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2015, 06:34:55 AM

http://www.coindesk.com/uber-denies-plans-to-accept-bitcoin-payments/

Uber has denied that it is currently integrating bitcoin as a payment option for its on-demand mobile ride-sharing services.

Suspicions regarding a potential announcement first began to circulate on social media yesterday after a user posted a cryptic interaction with one of the company's help desk representatives to Reddit.

The text of the message suggested that Uber was "currently making bitcoin work" for the service, but offered few supporting details.

However, a representative for Uber indicated that such assertions were unwarranted, telling CoinDesk flatly: "This story isn't true."

...there's been a lot of chatter about Uber using bitcoin, but for now they're say "no". However the details around the latest speculation and denial imply that maybe they are planning to accept bitcoin but just aren't ready to announce it yet.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
PenguinFire

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

That Darn Cat

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 06:38:04 AM

http://www.coindesk.com/uber-denies-plans-to-accept-bitcoin-payments/

Uber has denied that it is currently integrating bitcoin as a payment option for its on-demand mobile ride-sharing services.

Suspicions regarding a potential announcement first began to circulate on social media yesterday after a user posted a cryptic interaction with one of the company's help desk representatives to Reddit.

The text of the message suggested that Uber was "currently making bitcoin work" for the service, but offered few supporting details.

However, a representative for Uber indicated that such assertions were unwarranted, telling CoinDesk flatly: "This story isn't true."

...there's been a lot of chatter about Uber using bitcoin, but for now they're say "no". However the details around the latest speculation and denial imply that maybe they are planning to accept bitcoin but just aren't ready to announce it yet.

Meh, it is just one retailer.  I know, any loss is a loss but at least it is not a large retailer like Amazon or eBay saying they will never accept bitcoin as payment for any service.

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 07:22:11 AM

they are waiting for bitcoin to stabilize, like everyone else, it's the primarely reaosn why there are still many big company that don't want to deal with bitcoin, the point is that we can never have a better stability if none of them makes the first move and accept bitcoin

they are looking only at their interest like everyone else
greBit

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 07:25:42 AM

they are waiting for bitcoin to stabilize, like everyone else, it's the primarely reaosn why there are still many big company that don't want to deal with bitcoin, the point is that we can never have a better stability if none of them makes the first move and accept bitcoin

they are looking only at their interest like everyone else

But wouldn't it be a very creative risk for them to accept it on a certain terms and conditions, only to know that their adoption worked in their favor and now they were the prime reason for the skyrocketing of bitcoin.. I think a lucrative deal must be made which profits the first huge investors much more than it would benefit the others, money runs the world so let's try to make these companies walk..
JarvisTechnology

Activity: 350

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 02:22:26 PM

So integrating with Bitcoin , comes with a lot of risk. But then again, if you don't initiate ,how can you expect something to grow. Companies need to let go of their conservatism and look at the brighter approach. Blockchain technology by Bitcoin , is something which is convenient and easy to grow. Big companies are waiting for Bitcoin to stabilise , but atleast someone needs to make first move to make that happen.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 02:29:19 PM

Great news. This opens up a market for another Uber like service to accept bitcoin. I would certinly use them. Uber died for me after they announced that you must risk your life if you want to ride in an Uber taxi. What a stupid response.

http://www.businessinsider.com/uber-driver-with-concealed-handgun-prevents-mass-shooting-in-chicago-2015-4

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

/dev/null

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 02:43:05 PM

why is everybody so interested with this Uber? so many articles, so high focus...because of what? what is super cool on their service?

And if they don't like bitcoin...yes cool, so they may loosing potential customers - their problem. They will be pushed to accept crypto, sooner or later, just because paying for services is area, where bitcoin will expand first.
bumm

Activity: 378

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 05:03:02 PM

most of the companies are not accepting bitcoin because it is not stable. companies do not want to risk by investing in bitcoin, as bitcoins becomes stable companies will start using it. they will not take any step which can lead them to lose.
jbrnt

Activity: 672

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 05:32:00 PM

Bitcoin is not a miracle pill for business. Uber is right not to consider bitcoin as payment. The question is will accepting bitcoin bring in more business than costs? I think it's a no.

Uber is operating on a low margin. Money is made from spilting fare with drivers. They do not want to bear the risk of bitcoin price volatility. 10% price move a day would wipe their profits clean and that's common for bitcoin.
BillyBones

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 07:52:29 PM

Transporters who give Uber services are unaware of the Bitcoin, in many Asian countries Uber transporters are individual who is offering drive for the Uber passengers, although Uber acknowledge the Bitcoin, the drivers must know about the Bitcoin and how to use it.
jeffthebaker
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1034

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 07:57:40 PM

Man, this really sucks. Uber is a perfect setting for Bitcoin corporation. Hopefully as Bitcoin develops as legitimate in the eyes of the public, Uber will reconsider their stance on bitcoin.
-droid-
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 08:47:23 PM

Man, this really sucks. Uber is a perfect setting for Bitcoin corporation. Hopefully as Bitcoin develops as legitimate in the eyes of the public, Uber will reconsider their stance on bitcoin.

Yeah I as thinking the same thing,  Bitcoin would be great for uber, they are already getting flak from taxi companies, I think they might as well accept Bitcoin, would garner them a lot more customers and be good advertisement
pitham1
Legendary

Activity: 1232

View Profile
July 12, 2015, 07:42:23 AM

Transporters who give Uber services are unaware of the Bitcoin, in many Asian countries Uber transporters are individual who is offering drive for the Uber passengers, although Uber acknowledge the Bitcoin, the drivers must know about the Bitcoin and how to use it.

That doesn't matter. I am sure there are a few passengers at least in the Western world, who would love to pay using Bitcoin.
Uber could have made a start and then seen how to proceed, depending on the response.

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 12, 2015, 07:46:49 AM

Great news. This opens up a market for another Uber like service to accept bitcoin. I would certinly use them. Uber died for me after they announced that you must risk your life if you want to ride in an Uber taxi. What a stupid response.

http://www.businessinsider.com/uber-driver-with-concealed-handgun-prevents-mass-shooting-in-chicago-2015-4

i'm expecting in the end a tonx of akin service of fiat, but for bitcoin only, seeing how many don't want to adopt it, if they don't want we create our own it's simple

but it would be difficult for them to emerge, at least until bitcoin will not catch up with other payments system

i hope they all be decentralized...
HarHarHar9965

Activity: 994

View Profile
July 12, 2015, 08:09:26 AM

That doesn't matter. I am sure there are a few passengers at least in the Western world, who would love to pay using Bitcoin.
Uber could have made a start and then seen how to proceed, depending on the response.

All the revenue Uber receives is receiving be a little commission for hooking up drivers and the customers at once click, and they are not making too big money honestly, out of it. In most of the countries, they've kept their commission rate so low so that their service gets attention and popularity. If they start accepting a currency which fluctuates to such extremes, I think they would be in an unfavorable position to do business
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
July 12, 2015, 11:22:49 AM

It's only logic. The service provided by Uber is the exact opposite of what's BTC is providing. Uber keeps track of all your movements, and it wants to use credit cards because there's your name on it. Uber has no interest in tracking someone if it doesn't know his name! Everything's centralized with Uber, and it works just like the mafia in Sicily. All shopkeepers must pay the pizzo, or a fee to the mafia, and if you want to use Uber say, in India or Germany, you must pay a fee to the capo in California.

I'm a big fan of BTC, but I would never, never use Uber or a similar service. I use taxis or public transport, and I pay cash. No name, and no tracking, because I don't support fascism.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
Miracal

Activity: 350

View Profile
July 12, 2015, 12:04:37 PM

Uber provides a service with a centralized strategy keeping track of the identity of the person and even tracking their exact position until they are dropped off at their destination. The features of bitcoin serve exactly the opposite benefits and therefore, both these businesses could not be merged together just for bitcoin to serve as a mode of payment. Maybe there are special services in the future which drops a person off, no questions asked. No identities provided. No tracking done. Payment mode: Bitcoin only  Cheesy
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
July 12, 2015, 12:08:53 PM

Sooner or later Uber will start to accept bitcoin, I am sure of this thing... maybe not this year even the next but in 5-10 years a lot of services will start to use/integrate btc.
greBit

Activity: 714

View Profile
July 12, 2015, 02:29:53 PM

Sooner or later Uber will start to accept bitcoin, I am sure of this thing... maybe not this year even the next but in 5-10 years a lot of services will start to use/integrate btc.

that's our target, to force these companies to accept bitcoin and once they do, there will be a lot of great hype and more companies will start adapting, interests will peak and a lot of great, positive things take place. The reason why a service like Uber cannot accept bitcoins now is because they are all about maintaining IDs and proof for security.
HarHarHar9965

Activity: 994

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 08:08:08 AM

that's our target, to force these companies to accept bitcoin and once they do, there will be a lot of great hype and more companies will start adapting, interests will peak and a lot of great, positive things take place. The reason why a service like Uber cannot accept bitcoins now is because they are all about maintaining IDs and proof for security.

If they are so much into maintaining proof and ID, why don't they keep a check on their drivers too? There have been so many news when Uber drivers have been involved with crime? Do you know a girl in India was raped by a Uber driver? How fucking pathetic is that, they expect people to pay them and trust their brand, but their own drivers pick customers from the location and rape? I don't think I can ever use uber again.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: