Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 04:34:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying from Coinbase with $0 in bank account?  (Read 1407 times)
Enjorlas (OP)

Activity: 788
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 12, 2015, 12:58:13 PM

So the banks are closed today on Sunday and my bank account is empty. Is it possible to buy today and deposit some money on Monday morning?
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 12, 2015, 04:34:29 PM

without money how can you buy? do you mean that you have money on the exchange ready to be used? if that the case you can do a buy order and then a wire transfer or sepa to your bank account, if the exchange is fast enough you will recieve them tomorrow in the evening
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2884
Merit: 2327

View Profile
July 12, 2015, 06:16:19 PM

So the banks are closed today on Sunday and my bank account is empty. Is it possible to buy today and deposit some money on Monday morning?
Sure it is possible, however it would probably be a bad idea. I believe that coinbase uses the ACH system to withdraw/deposit funds out of/into your bank account. The ACH system is generally very quick and depending on if your bank gives you immediate credit for your deposit (they might not if you deposit a check), then the ACH withdrawal attempt could arrive prior to your deposit being available. This could result in a NSF fee being assessed by your bank and your credit card being charged by coinbase (along with what is likely a ~3% fee attached to it) for the amount of the purchase.
Enjorlas (OP)

Activity: 788
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 12, 2015, 09:37:04 PM

Thanks for the reply.. So no, I am depositing physical cash. So if I deposit this Monday morning and buy from Coinbase 30 minutes later there shouldn't be a problem?
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2884
Merit: 2327

View Profile
July 12, 2015, 09:42:44 PM

Thanks for the reply.. So no, I am depositing physical cash. So if I deposit this Monday morning and buy from Coinbase 30 minutes later there shouldn't be a problem?
I don't want to give you bad information and it then end up costing you a lot of money in various bank fees as explained above. I don't think it will be a problem. However my recommendation is to speak to one of the bank employees, tell them that you are expecting an ACH withdrawal to be initiated in the near future and you want to confirm that funds will be available to cover the withdrawal. They might ask about pending checks that have not been presented yet and other pending withdrawals.

I don't see any reason however why it would be a problem. 
ultimo_dragon

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 12:37:39 AM

Try it and let us know how it turns out.
Scamc0p

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 02:43:15 AM

Bank will charge you overdraft fee for trying to do something like this. Which could cost you alot of money, so I would say it is not worth it and just wait to do this during banking hours.
mkc

Activity: 517
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 05:33:00 AM

ACH means batch processing. According to bank agent I talked to, bank will add all deposits, and then subtract all withdraws (including ACH out) at night of every business day.
So the correct answer is if your deposit arrives earlier than next processing time (typically, end of business day). You will be fine.
MF Doom

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 11:46:25 AM

every time I've ordered from coinbase there is a 1-2 day delay on when the funds actually leave your bank account.  If you deposit cash the next day you may be all set.
melisande

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 05:01:59 PM

Yes you can, coinbase often gives their customers 1 day or 2 before they charged money from their account provided that you have verified your bank account with them also due to phone verifications and computer authorization system, your chances of getting it is very high.
But you might not be able to withdraw the bitcoin bought through this method.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: