Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:34:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A basic question about the pre-generated addresses in wallet.dat  (Read 545 times)
pf (OP)

Activity: 176
Merit: 105

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 08:02:28 PM

I launched a fresh Bitcoin Core 0.11.0 (bitcoin-qt) from a new (offline) Ubuntu Linux installation.

Then I encrypted my wallet with a passphrase and restarted bitcoin-qt.

Then I went into "Receive" and clicked "Request payment". I now saw a new receiving address added to the list.

Here is the thing: I was not asked to decrypt my wallet before adding that new receiving address. This must mean that Bitcoin Core had already pre-generated this address for me. (Other sources seem to mention that the program pre-generates 100 addresses, one benefit of which is to make backups more stable.)

Here is my question: Were these pre-generated addresses (and the corresponding private keys) created BEFORE the encryption, or AFTER the encryption?

This is a pretty important question IMO. If the pre-generated addresses were created before the encryption, it means that the private keys have already been written unencrypted to the hard drive. This is a security risk I have to take into account.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 08:12:15 PM

Here is my question: Were these pre-generated addresses (and the corresponding private keys) created BEFORE the encryption, or AFTER the encryption?
after.

source code responsible for this behavior: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/086cb336cd8ac0b2a7ad9ff0544c014569c7db38/src/wallet/wallet.cpp#L557

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
pf (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 08:43:04 PM

after.

source code responsible for this behavior: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/086cb336cd8ac0b2a7ad9ff0544c014569c7db38/src/wallet/wallet.cpp#L557
To make sure I understand things correctly, if I do this:

1. Launch Bitcoin Core for the first time (with an unencrypted wallet).
2. Generate 3 receiving addresses.
3. Encrypt wallet and restart Bitcoin Core.
4. Generate 5 receiving addresses.

This means that the first 3 private keys were exposed unencrypted to the hard drive, but the second 5 private keys were only written out encrypted to the hard drive. Am I right?
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2015, 08:49:31 PM

after.

This means that the first 3 private keys were exposed unencrypted to the hard drive, but the second 5 private keys were only written out encrypted to the hard drive. Am I right?

Yes, those keys that have been shown to the user before the encryption will still be part of the wallet.dat and thus stored w/o encryption. Those that have been generated afterwards will never be stored without the encryption (well unless you export them manually or something similar).

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
pf (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 08:56:07 PM

after.

Yes, those keys that have been shown to the user before the encryption will still be part of the wallet.dat and thus stored w/o encryption. Those that have been generated afterwards will never be stored without the encryption (well unless you export them manually or something similar).
Thank you. Appreciated!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: